🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

:hot_pepper: April 2

Watched Back to the Future Part 1 w/ JP Dub and Sub. The subtitles aren’t clearly readable sometimes. At full speed anyway. I’ll give the trilogy another go with subs on before I go freestyle. Really, I’m only looking when I get lost/ space out. I think I actually paid attention to listening most of the time this time though. I’ll give myself a C-.

17 Likes

April 3 :european_castle: :headphones:

More かがみの孤城 . 1.3x speed and there was a good chunk where I didn’t need to pause at all. :smiling_face:
I think the next track may be the last track I listened to with any kind of active attention, so it should get more interesting after that.

15 Likes

3/04/2023 :fairy:t4: Home Post Link

I did my listening practice while eating lunch today, so I thought it’d be nice to update before I continue with my work.

I watched a few videos from あかね的日本語教室 and Speak Japanese Naturally. I Loved these two videos:

1. Buy cake at a Japanese cake shop [link]

2. Japanese Listening Practice with furigana [link]

It was fairly easy to understand. The videos aligned really well with my current language knowledge, and the difficulty was around N4.

I really enjoy Speak Japanese Naturally because the videos are so relaxing and calm, but I wish eng subs were optional. I usually completely avoid looking at the english subtitles, but sometimes it’s hard because my brain gets lazy. So I try to watch videos from this channel only once or twice a week.

quick reflections
  • I really cannot comprehend numbers and months in Japanese yet. If it’s SRS practice, then I take my time to think about it, but usually it’s very difficult for me to understand T_T
  • I learnt actively this time, and looked up some vocabs I didn’t know + added them to my Bunpro review pile. Excited to see if I can recall the meanings when I review them later today.
  • Lastly, I think I’ve depended too much on picturing kanji, because now I take more time to recall the meanings when I can only hear the word. Might need to think about this more, and change the pattern. Also hoping that I’ll eventually get used to hearing words as well (thanks to this challenge)
16 Likes

I’m going to jump on this, a couple of days late but that’s irrelevant.

I’ll probably use a combination of beginner youtube videos, podcasts, and maybe some Anime with Japanese/no subs. (I’m currently watching Initial D with English subs but I don’t want to include it as part of the challenge). Listening (and speaking) has been left behind for a while but I think I’m finally at a reasonable level of comprehension where listening to beginner stuff won’t be a massive chore.

Let’s gooooooooo

Apr
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
May
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
17 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I listened to the Nihongo Con Teppei episodes 126-129. The first two episodes were easy to understand because I was familiar with almost all of the words that he used. However, the other two episodes were more difficult so I listened to them twice.

After that I watched two Comprehensible Japanese videos. The first one was a beginner video about karaoke which I didn’t have any problems with. So I tried an intermediate video about Fukuoka’s local specialities next and struggled quite a bit because I didn’t know enough food/cooking related vocab. I had to rely heavily on the pictures and drawings to follow along.

16 Likes

Apr 3, Mon of Week 2 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

残月記 : 月景石 Ch.4/2,9 [6,13/13]. To end with the reading.

国語文法 [40-41/50] – 助動詞 (3-4/10). Now conjugation table might need review of former clips.

Some random news on YouTube. With some text and focus, I can understand. Particularly, I like ANN.

For me, months and single digit dates are particularly easy, because memory triumphs counting. Four digit years are a big killer. I just usually failed. (May have improved a little with a game – https://langpractice.com/japanese/.)

14 Likes

Day 1, so i’ll start easy. Yuki is telling me about driving cars.

Yuki drives the car on weekdays so she can take the children to and from school. Sometimes she goes shopping.

She’s been in 3 crashes! :grimacing:

Father wants a bigger car, but Yuki likes small cars.

オレは車を運転するのが大好き。

17 Likes

This was a good video for me, too. At first, it seemed too easy, but it became more complex around the midpoint. Thanks for sharing this.

10 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月3日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Today is monday, which means 月曜の朝ミオ time! I promise that I watch non-vtuber things most of the time, but the monday mio streams are one of the things I do watch pretty much every week. I usually just watch the first half, which is where she puts out a weekly prompt (usually food/culture/season related) and people write in responses on twitter. She goes through a bunch of responses and just talks for a while, it’s very chill to just put it on while I’m drinking my coffee or something. Looks like the next one (after todays) isn’t until 4/24 though, so i’ll have to find something else for the next couple mondays

Listened:

• 朝ミオ 4/3 (大神ミオ stream) - 40 minutes; today’s topic was 私の気合い飯

The curry here is pretty normal, but mio was fascinated by the カレーダム technology.

Word of the Day:
決壊(けっかい)ー burst (e.g. dam, embankment, levee); breach; collapse; washout; rupture​

16 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 3, 4 月 3 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

I listened to the first conversation in the first Tobira chapter. Something something festivals. It had a few very useful phrases that concerned asking for clarification.

I feel like I’ll benefit from doing some read-out-loud exercises, so I might try that once I do a re-listen.

15 Likes

April 3rd!

Today I watched episode 3 of Rilakkuma and Kaoru. Again, I was pleased with how much I could understand. I didnt have to stop and read the subs a few times, but not so much that I wouldn’t have been able to mostly get what was going on if I hadn’t checked.

(Home Post)

14 Likes

Youtube is recommending me abandoned houses and hoarder houses lately, and lemme tell you - I love it.

This news video about abandoned houses is probably good for people in the too-advanced-for-beginner-but-what-even-is-intermediate gap:

And then the hoarder house (well, 1DK + 2 storage units) cleaning: 【1日で終われるか⁉】生活品から仕事の書類まで玄関から山積みの荷物をお片付け!1DK お掃除 - YouTube

17 Likes

:speaker: :blossom: softlyraining’s garden of sounds :cherry_blossom: :headphones:

April 3rd
Quick update. Listened to more of Akiko’s American Foreign Exchange. I went beyond the episodes that I’ve already listened to, which is when I started to space out. I wanted to check out some of the things people posted, but my laptop’s in desperate need of an outlet, so maybe I’ll do that tomorrow.

16 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 3

Back to the Future Part 2 JP Dub. I had already been watching for 15 minutes before I noticed the lack of subs. woops. Decided to roll with it. Did really well with the first half but lost focus during the second. Still, a C grade effort.
Also watched the Speak Japanese Naturally that was shared above.

16 Likes

4月4日
Home post

The last few days I “only” watched the Let’s Play of Zelda Breath of the wild. One episode per day. I would say I understand about 1/3. I can guess the meaning of another 1/3, because I know the game (actually I am replaying it at the moment). And the other third… I do not understand ^^;

Today I also started to listen to the Harry Potter 1 audiobook for about 15 minutes (I already bought it in Japanese a few years ago because I was naive and thought I just have to listen to it and I will learn Japanese automatically lol). But I must admit, that it is still too advanced for me. If I wouldn’t know the story by heart, I think I wouldn’t understand what’s going on. Maybe, some time in the future, I will read the book and listen to the audiobook simultaneously. Or first read a part (and look up what I do not understand) and then listen to it. :thinking:

17 Likes

Apr 4, Tue of Week 2 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

国語文法 [42-43/50] – 助動詞 (5-6/10). I also read a little of 活用形 today, then rewatch. Maybe I should have read and taken note as a reference before, but oh well…

Watched some YouTube, particularly なぜ...小学生の万引き“増加” 電子マネーが影響?【ウラどり】 - YouTube and 【リアルストーリー】緊迫!命を救った小学生の自由研究物語<Mr.サンデー> - YouTube.

残月記 : 残月記 Ch.1/23 [1/30]. Well, read about 1 page first.

Then, return to YouTube and watched 【発明】耳につけないイヤリング 父の後押しで特許取得した小学6年生の社長 - YouTube, so found a new channel to subscribe to. I noticed this one IRL too – ツイッターのロゴ「青い鳥」→「柴犬」に変更 マスク氏「約束通り」(2023年4月4日) - YouTube :dog:.

15 Likes

4/04/2023 :fairy:t4: Home Post Link

Today’s listening activities:

• Nihongo Con Teppei - 4 eps. It was easy to understand. I’m glad they repeat synonyms of some words, makes it super fun to learn!
  • Learn Japanese with Noriko - 3rd ep on “why do you learn japanese?” [link]. It was slow in the beginning so I had enough time to recall and understand, but the speech had a bit of urgency in the end (or maybe it looks like that because I’m not great at listening yet). So I did zone out a little. It was motivating though, because I understood most of what was said.

omg this looks cool, thanks for linking it! It’s also very fun, I just spent 20 mins writing numbers hjshsjh

16 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I watched the video about abandoned houses that @pocketcat recommended. Thank you! Even though I couldn’t understand much, it was very interesting!

I decided to go back to easier content and watched another Comprehensible Japanese video. Maybe Yuki should consider drinking less coffee. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

:speaker: :blossom: softlyraining’s garden of sounds :cherry_blossom: :headphones:

April 4th
I ended up watching an episode of Good Morning Call on Netflix while I ate breakfast and folded laundry. The cheesiness factor is sizable. I could handle some of the goofiness, but sometimes it was a little too much for me. Comprehension-wise, the hardest moments were when the two main characters were talking with an older woman about their rental contracts and when they were fighting with each other (their delivery sped up quite a bit).

15 Likes

April 4
I watched some Alice in Borderland today on Neflix, season 2. It‘s always funny watching a live action adaptation of a manga, because some lines are so painfully manga-ish. Also, one character exclusively speaks in very forced-seeming Kansai-ben, which is also a remnant from the manga, I assume. :smiley:

And I also watched part of the 空家 video :slight_smile: I like the 調べてみたら series a lot.

15 Likes