🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

:hot_pepper: May 16th

Double feature today. A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) and Floating Weeds (1959). Only Floating Weeds counted as listening practice, since the other is silent :smirk_cat: The language felt old fashioned but vocal quality sounded mostly clean.
In both films the director employs a healthy dose of butt and boob scratching to show how “slice of life” the story is. That’s my intelligent take away from this one.

Glad to see stop-motion get some love btw :+1: It’s infrequently not just a hobby of mine to work on stop-motion animation type projects. Hidari was probably actually brought to my attention more for its animation style than its langauge. The BTS shows some very nice toys in use. :jelly emoji:

12 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 47, 5 月 17 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Learning a lot of new verbs, with helpful cat pictures to reinforce meaning. :cat2:
And then a really long video about one of my favorite topics: stationary! Obviously this too had a large amount of verbs with demonstrations.

13 Likes

May 17, Wed of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Verbalization (writing) tips.

Parade 1 [5/6].

Time runs out if I am not careful. Doing things while it lasts.

12 Likes

17/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun. It’s been a while since I listened to these episodes, but I’m back to enjoying it now!

13 Likes

May 17th!

Today I listened to Episode 13 of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate series.
It was another episode about how to write a postcard.

(Home Post)

13 Likes

May 18, Thu of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [67-68/90] - 産業革命

Places and names

Parade 1 [6/6].

YUYU on 10-year foreigner’s lesson.

12 Likes

May 18th!

Today I listened to the next episode of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate series.
It was the 4th part of a story arc told via postcards being sent between friends.
Its been quite fun to listen to, even though the dialogues are quite tough to understand because its using very formal phrases that are usually used in writing.
I got the gist of what was happening in this one pretty well though :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

12 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 18

Re-watched a couple episodes of 極主夫道 today. Understood a few more jokes here and there. Started a third but forced myself to quit. Its already late.

Car audio Edgar Allen Poe translations again yesterday. Not much to tell. Except I definitely have not read the current story in English. So I’m extra lost.

11 Likes

18/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

woops couldn’t update yesterday. Listened to one episode from Nihongo con Teppei.

11 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 49, 5 月 19 日 :herb:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Some easy stuff today. Tomorrow I’m gonna tackle that video about counters. It’s gonna be rough.

10 Likes

May 19th!

I had a lesson with my tutor today.
We talked about afternoon tea, and about what I’ve been up to in work recently.
We also did some exam style listening questions, and I got 75% right this week, which is a big improvement on how I’ve been doing on those recently.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Summary Post

May 17th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Asakusa
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

May 18th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ at Inohana Castle talking about cameras
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

May 19th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Roppongi talking about money
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

I really have not felt like posting the past few days but I have been listening :slight_smile: Today’s video was on money - I don’t know why I thought I would understand this in Japanese when I barely understand money stuff in English :joy: Spoiler alert, I did not, I spent most of the video reading subtitles

10 Likes

19/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun

10 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 19

極主夫道 again tonight. Accidentally started the last episode I watched and watched it anyway. Then a new episode. Our introduction to rap battles. Worked much better here than I imagined from the manga.

10 Likes

May 19, Fri of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 2 - 1 first half [1/4].

May 20, Sat of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 2 - 1 latter half [2/4].

歴史 [69-71/90] - around World War 1 which overlaps with 大正時代

Places and names

YUYU on the time of weakness.

10 Likes

Summary Post

May 20th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ at the conbini
How much time did I spend listening?: ~32 min

How many times did he need to go to the conbini to make this video :joy: I’m glad it was a lot though, I thought it was helpful to see it over and over again (with a few natural variations). Also, I wanna eat one of those perfect swirly ice cream cones that comes in a plastic container?? I don’t think that exists here :weary:

Forever thankful that the registers in Japan just show you the amount because I don’t think I caught a single complete number in all these conversations :joy: I get like parts of numbers but then miss the rest.

10 Likes

May 20th!

Today I went to a Japanese Language Exchange meetup in a nearby town.
We talked about lots of different topics including VR games, keeping a diary, being left handed and a local sushi restaurant.
I also learned a nice new word: 日向ぼこ which means “basking in the sun”.

For the last few minutes of the meetup, all of the groups sat together and we played Shiritori. I’ve never played before so I was please to have people to play with - Its harder than I expected though!

(Home Post)

10 Likes

20/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

as usual, one episode from Japanese with Shun. I’m always so surprised and jelly with how this dude did hitchhiking, couchsurfing, solo travelling and so much more at a very young age. when is it my turn :weary:

9 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 20

極主夫道 once again. Reviewed the episode I ended on last night.

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 51, 5 月 21 日 :herb:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese いくつ?①人や動物の数え方
The dreaded counter video. First half was entirely 人, then came (ひき) (small animals), (とう) (big animals), () (flying animals), with a bonus round for (まい) (flat objects, here: photos). I’ll need to look a bit more in how those rendaku, 匹 especially.

9 Likes