The onomatopoeia thread! 💥 🗯

みっちり

地元の公立校のゆるい運動部とは違うのだから、夏休み中ももちろんみっちりと部活があるだろう。

The athletics clubs (at the powerhouse private school he attends) are different from the laid-back ones at the public school here, so they almost certainly hold intense/strict practice even during summer break.

2 Likes

ぶらぶら

寮に入ったはずの恵は夏休み初日から帰省してぶらぶらしている。

Though Megumi should be staying in the dorms, he came home on the first day of summer break and has been lazing about.

2 Likes

ずぶずぶ

すこし休んだら歯を磨きに立ち上がると決めたのに、そのままソファにずぶずぶ沈み込んで眠ってしまう。

She had decided to get up and brush her teeth after resting a little, but as she was she sank deeply into the sofa and fell asleep.

3 Likes

にちゃにちゃ

にちゃにちゃした歯と歯ぐきの感が気持ち悪い。

Her slimy/greasy teeth and gums felt unpleasant.

3 Likes

ざらざら

ちくちく

数ミリの長さの髪がざらざらあるいはちくちくと彼女の手のひらに感触を与えるだろうと想像した。

She imagined that the few millimeters long hair would feel coarse or prickly in her palm.

2 Likes

ちろちろ

いつもはちろちろと細く垂れているだけの小さな滝が、今日は蛇口を目いっぱい開いたような勢いで流れている。

The small waterfall that is usually just a thin trickle, is flowing with such force today, as if someone opened the tap as far as it goes.

3 Likes

ぐんぐん

雲の灰色がぐんぐん濃くなっていく。

The grey colour of the clouds is rapidly growing denser.

3 Likes

だらり

A: 「やっぱ世の中って紙一重のバランスで成り立ってんのな、って思ってさ。」
B: 「はぁ?」
A: 「そんな中、だらりとフリーターやってる俺ってなんだろう。とか思って」

A: “So I thought ‘Society hangs on a paper-thin balance, after all’”
B: “What?”
A: “And in that (society), what am I, who just languidly works part-time. I wondered stuff like that”

2 Likes

チョコチョコ

「田中君、お仕事は」
「スポーツ新聞とかでちっちゃいイラストをチョコチョコと…と言ってもまだバイトなんですけど」

“Tanaka-kun, what job do you have?”
Now and then some small illustrations for a sports newspaper and such… though even if I say that, it’s still a part-time job.”

3 Likes

くっきり

赤・白・緑の配色と「七符清陰」というマジック書きがくっきり見えた。

He can clearly see the red, white, and green coloring and the “Nanafu Seiin” written in permanent marker (on the ball).

2 Likes

おずおず

おずおずとあっくんが口を開いた。

Timidly, Akkun began to speak.

2 Likes

ぴったし

「ほーいや2-Cは出し物なにするんや?」
「クラスのほう?……は、お化け屋敷、らしいですけど」
「ぎゃははは。ほらぴったしやな」

“Oh yeah, what’s 2-C doing for the cultural festival?”
“The class? Ah… we’re doing a haunted house, it seems…”
“Gyahahaha! That fits you perfectly!”

Note that ぴったし is the colloquial version of ぴったり

2 Likes

ごそごそ

ジーンズのポケットから、いろんな物をごそごそと取り出し、自分の周りに並べ始める。

With a rustling sound, he pulls various objects out of his pockets and starts arranging them around him.

3 Likes

うっとり

彼が語る偽史はあまりにも相手をうっとりとさせる。

People are too spellbound by the fake history he recounts.

3 Likes

うとうと

菓子パンをかじっている最中に突然電池切れを起こしてうとうとと舟を漕いでいた。

In the middle of munching on his sweet bread, he runs out of energy and nods off.

3 Likes

そこそこ

ぐんと

七符駅から乗ったときにはそこそこ混んでいた車内も、鈴無駅を過ぎると乗客がぐんと減る。

The train is fairly crowded when they board at Nanafu Station, but it’s notably less so riding past Suzumu Station.

2 Likes

ぎくしゃく

男バレの中でなにを言いふらされるかとわたしは戦々恐々としつつ、四人が座ったテーブルにぎくしゃくとメニューを持っていった。

Filled with trepidation at what might have spread among the boys’ volleyball club, I brought menus over to the table where the four of them were sitting with awkward, stilted movements.

2 Likes

てきぱき

女社長と話しながらも、直輝はかかってくる電話にてきぱきと対応し、時には流暢な英語を使うこともあった。

Even while talking with the female president, Naoki responded briskly to incoming phone calls, at times using fluent English.

2 Likes

いそいそ

早速リビングへ戻り、いそいそとビデオデッキにテープを入れた。

I immediately returned to the living room, and excitedly put the tape into the VCR

3 Likes

ちらちら

ぼとぼと

そのうち粉雪が降ってきたんだよ。最初、ちらちら降りだしたのが、あっという間にぼとぼと落ちてきて、吐く息なんか手のひらで掴めそうなくらい濃くて白いんだ。

Soon powder snow began to fall. At first it was falling lightly, but before I knew it it started falling wet and heavy, and my breath was so thick and white that I could almost catch it in the palm of my hand.

3 Likes