The onomatopoeia thread! ๐Ÿ’ฅ ๐Ÿ—ฏ

I just felt like I forgot about this thread after it started, and when I revisited just before we chatted, I realized I didnโ€™t know how or what to post! :joy: It was just overwhelming a bit. XD

2 Likes

Yes, I realized I come across much more onomatopoeia in the books Iโ€™m reading than I was expecting, so Iโ€™ve added a lot rather quickly. How to post should be straightforward though, thereโ€™s even a very simple template in the OP. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure, I spotted the template. For me, itโ€™s more about whether I think I can contribute or not to a thread, which might not be the case. I certainly canโ€™t offhand name 50 onomatopoeia, but I think I have encountered a lot, especially in all the audio media immersion Iโ€™ve done. Iโ€™ll try to make posts with example sentences going forward! ^>^

1 Like

Thank you, any contribution is appreciated! I just add them the moment I find them, otherwise Iโ€™ll just forget, and even if I remember, tracking down the exact sentence after the fact can get tedious.

2 Likes

ใ‚€ใฃใคใ‚Š

็—…้™ขใฎใƒ™ใƒƒใƒ‰ใงไฝ“ใ‚’่ตทใ“ใ—ใ€็›ฎใฎๅ‰ใงใ‚€ใฃใคใ‚Šใ—ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ไธ€ไบบๅจ˜ใ‚’็œŸใฃ็›ดใ่ฆ‹ใ‚‹ใ€‚

He sits up in his hospital bed and looks straight-on at his only daughter, sitting sullenly before him.

2 Likes

ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚“

ใ€ŒใŠใฃใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใ€ใŠๅฅฝใฟ็„ผใใ‚’ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚“็„ผใ„ใฆใใ‚Œใ€

โ€œOld man, please grill me Okonomiyakis one after another / incessantlyโ€

2 Likes

ใšใ‚Šใšใ‚Š

่ƒŒใ‚‚ใŸใ‚Œใฎใชใ„ไธธใ„ใƒ‘ใ‚คใƒ—ๆค…ๅญใ‚’็ˆถใฎๆž•ๅ…ƒใพใงใšใ‚Šใšใ‚Šใจๅฏ„ใ›ใ‚‹ใ€‚

She slides the metal stool closer to her fatherโ€™s bedside.

3 Likes

ใใ„ใใ„

• ใ€Œใใ†ใ ใ€‚ไปŠๆ—ฅ ไธ€็ท’ใซๅธฐใฃใฆใใ‚Œใชใ„ใ‹ใ€‚ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใจ๏ผใ€
  • ใ€ŒใŠใŠใ€ใใ„ใใ„ๆฅใ‚‹ใญๅช้‡Žใใ‚“ใ€‚ใ€
  • โ€œI know. Wonโ€™t you do me the favor of going back home together today? With Komi-san.โ€
  • โ€œOooh, I see you are coming at me without hesitation, Tadano-kun.โ€
2 Likes

ใ†ใคใ‚‰ใ†ใคใ‚‰

ใใ—ใฆๅคœใ€ใŠใ˜ใ„ใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ ใฎ้šฃใงใ†ใคใ‚‰ใ†ใคใ‚‰ใจ็œ ใ‚Šใซ่ฝใกใฆใ„ใๆ„่ญ˜ใฎไธญใงใ€‚

โ€œAnd at night, inside my consciousness that was drowsily falling asleep next to grandpa.โ€

2 Likes

ใ™ใ‚„ใ™ใ‚„

ใ‚ใจใฏๆ‰€ๆง‹ใ‚ใšๅฏ่ปขใŒใ‚Šใ€ใ™ใ‚„ใ™ใ‚„ใจๅฏๆฏใ‚’็ซ‹ใฆใฆใ—ใพใ†ใ ใ‘ใ ใ€‚

After that he lies down just anywhere, and just sleeps soundly.

3 Likes

ใƒ”ใƒงใƒณใƒ”ใƒงใƒณ

ๆš—ใ„ๅฐๆ‰€ใงใ€ไธ€ไบบใƒ”ใƒงใƒณใƒ”ใƒงใƒณ้ฃ›ใณ่ทณใญใฆใ—ใพใฃใŸใ€‚

I was hopping around on my own in the dark kitchen.

2 Likes

ใ™ใ‚“ใชใ‚Š

็Ž„้–ขใฎใƒ‰ใ‚ขใฎๆŠŠๆ‰‹ใ‚’ๅผ•ใ„ใฆใฟใ‚‹ใจใ€ใ™ใ‚“ใชใ‚Š้–‹ใ„ใŸใ€‚

When she tries pulling on the handle, the front door opens with no resistance.

3 Likes

ใณใ‚Šใณใ‚Š

ใใฎๅ ดใง้›ขๅฉšๅฑŠใ‚’ๅ–ใ‚ŠไธŠใ’ใฆใ€ใณใ‚Šใณใ‚ŠใจใพใฃไบŒใคใซ็ ดใฃใŸใ€‚

He took the divorce papers there and then, and ripped them in half.

2 Likes

ใใกใ‚“ใจ

ๅฎฟ้กŒใ‚’ใใกใ‚“ใจใ‚„ใฃใŸใ‹๏ผŸ

Have you done your homework properly/neatly?

3 Likes

ใณใฃใ—ใ‚Š

็Ž„้–ขใฎ้ด็ฎฑใฎไธŠใซ็ฝฎใ‹ใ‚ŒใŸๆฐดๆงฝใฎๅ†…ๅดใฏใ€ใณใฃใ—ใ‚Šใจ้ป’ใฃใฝใ„่‹”ใŒ็”Ÿใˆใฆใ„ใŸใ€‚

Thick, black moss grew on the inside of the water tank that was placed on top of the shoe box at the entrance.

2 Likes

ใใฃใจ

ๆฐดใŸใพใ‚Šใ‚‚ๆฑ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใใฃใจๆฟใฃใฆใ„ใŸใ€‚

The puddles were also considerably murkier than a pond.

3 Likes

ใ™ใฃใฝใ‚Š

่…•ใ‚’ๅทฎใ—ๅ…ฅใ‚Œใ‚‹ใจใ€่‚˜ใฎใ‚ใŸใ‚Šใพใงใ™ใฃใฝใ‚Šๅ…ฅใฃใŸใ€‚

When I put my arm in, it went in all the way/completely up to the elbow.

2 Likes

ใใšใใš

ใ‚†ใ‚‹ใใชใฃใŸๅœฐ้ขใฏใใšใใšใจใปใฉใ‘ใฆใ€ๆŒ‡ใฏใฉใ“ใพใงใ‚‚ๆฒˆใ‚“ใงใ„ใ‘ใใ†ใ ใฃใŸใ€‚

The softened ground came loose, and it seemed like my fingers could keep sinking indefinitely.

2 Likes

ใƒœใ‚ตใƒœใ‚ต

-ใ€Œใ‚ˆใ—ใ€่กŒใ“ใ†ใ€‚ไปŠๆ—ฅ้ซชใƒœใ‚ตใƒœใ‚ตใ ใญใ€
-ใ€Œๆ€ฅใ„ใง้™ใ‚ŠใฆๆฅใŸใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€

• โ€œAlright, letโ€™s go. Your hair is all ruffled / unkempt today, isnโ€™t it?โ€
  • โ€œThatโ€™s because I had to come down here in a hurry!โ€
2 Likes

ใ˜ใ‚ใ˜ใ‚

ใฏใฃใใ‚Š

ๅฃใ‚‚ๅบŠใ‚‚็™ฝใ„ๅปŠไธ‹ใซใฏใ€่›ๅ…‰็ฏใŒใฏใฃใใ‚Šใจใคใ„ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใฎใซใ€่ฆ–็•Œใฎไธก็ซฏใŒใ˜ใ‚ใ˜ใ‚ใจ้ป’ใ„ใ€‚

Even though the walls and floor of the white corridor are clearly lit by the fluorescent lighting, the edges of my field of vision are gradually turning black.

1 Like