The onomatopoeia thread! ๐Ÿ’ฅ ๐Ÿ—ฏ

In the books Iโ€™m reading. Thatโ€™s the whole point, to find these words in context. :slight_smile:
The translation is my own, so very much sub-par, but I hope it serves to illustrate what the onomatopoeia word stands for, at least.

7 Likes

ใ‚‚ใ‚„ใ‚‚ใ‚„

ไฝŽใ„้›ฒใซใ‚‚ใ‚„ใ‚‚ใ‚„ใ—ใŸ็ญ‹ใŒๅ…ฅใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€‚

There are hazy streaks in the low clouds.

2 Likes

ใกใ‚‰ใ‚Š

ใกใ‚‰ใ‚Šใจๆœ€ไฝŽ้™ใ ใ‘ใง็Šถๆณใ‚’็ขบ่ชใ—ใฆใ€ใ™ใใซ่ฆ–็ทšใ‚’้€ธใ‚‰ใ™ใ€‚

As a bare minimum I check her condition with a quick glance, then quickly avert my gaze.

1 Like

ใŒใ‚„ใŒใ‚„

้›ป่ฉฑใฎๅ‘ใ“ใ†ใฏใŒใ‚„ใŒใ‚„ใจ้จ’ใŒใ—ใใ€็พๅ ด็›ฃ็ฃ่€…ใฎๅ‘จใ‚Šใซใƒˆใƒฉใƒƒใ‚ฏ้‹่ปขๆ‰‹ใŒ้›†ใพใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ‚ˆใ†ใ ใฃใŸใ€‚

There was noisy hubbub on the other end of the phone, truck drivers seemed to be gathered around the site supervisor.

1 Like

ใคใ‚“ใจ

ใ‚ฟใƒใ‚ณใจ่„‚ใฎใซใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‚‹ๆฏใซใ€็”ทๆ€ง็”จๆ•ด้ซชๆ–™ใฎใƒ„ใƒณใจใ—ใŸใซใŠใ„ใŒไบคใ˜ใ‚‹ใ€‚

An acrid/sharp smell of menโ€™s hair gel blends with the tobacco and grease smell of his breath.

1 Like

ใ–ใฃใจ

ใ–ใฃใจ็™พไธ‡ใƒชใƒƒใƒˆใƒซใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‚‹ใจใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใซใชใ‚‹ใ€‚

Turns out that there are roughly one million litres.

1 Like

ใฑใฃใกใ‚Š

ๅฅณใฏใฑใฃใกใ‚Šใจ็œผใ‚’้–‹ใ‘ใŸใ€‚

The woman opened her eyes wide.

3 Likes

ใฑใกใ‚Š

ๅฅณใฎ็œผใŒใฑใกใ‚Šใจ้–‰ใ˜ใŸใ€‚

The womanโ€™s eyes snapped shut.

3 Likes

ใใ‚‰ใใ‚‰

่ฒใฎ่ฃใซๆœˆใฎๅ…‰ใŒๅทฎใ—ใฆใใ‚‰ใใ‚‰ใ—ใŸใ€‚

The moon light twinkled on the back of the shell.

3 Likes

ใฎใใ‚Š

ใ—ใฐใ‚‰ใใ™ใ‚‹ใจใพใŸๅ”็ด…ใฎๅคฉ้“ใŒใฎใใ‚ŠใจไธŠใฃใฆใใŸใ€‚

After a while the crimson sun slowly came up again.

3 Likes

ใตใฃใใ‚‰

็ดฐ้•ทใ„ไธ€่ผชใฎ่•พใŒใ€ใตใฃใใ‚‰ใจๅผใ‚’้–‹ใ„ใŸใ€‚

A single slender bud opened its petals luxuriantly.

3 Likes

ใตใ‚‰ใตใ‚‰

่Šฑใฏ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎ้‡ใฟใงใตใ‚‰ใตใ‚‰ใจๅ‹•ใ„ใŸใ€‚

The flower wobbled/shook under its own weight.

3 Likes

ใจใ“ใจใ‚“

ๆฑบใ‚ใŸใ€‚ไปŠๅคœใฏใจใ“ใจใ‚“ไป˜ใๅˆใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ‚‰ใ†

Iโ€™ve decided. Tonight, Iโ€™ll have you accompany me to the very end / to the last / fully .

1 Like

ใคใใฅใ

ใคใใฅใไธๆ€่ญฐใชๅ…‰ๆ™ฏใ ใจๆ€ใ†ใ€‚

I think itโ€™s an utterly strange sight.

1 Like

ใ™ใฃใใจ

ใใ†่ชฌๆ˜Žใ—ใฆใ†ใกใซใ€ใ™ใฃใใจ็ซ‹ใกไธŠใŒใฃใŸ็ดใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŒใ€ไนฑๆšดใซใƒ†ใƒฌใƒ“ใ‚’ๅฉใๅ‡บใ—ใฆใ„ใŸใ€‚

As I was explaining this, Koto-chan stood up straight and started banging violently on the TV.

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

Good catch :+1:
Corrected!

2 Likes

ใ™ใฃใ‹ใ‚Š

ใƒžใ‚คใ‚ซใƒผใ‚’ๆŒใฃใŸใŠ้™ฐใงใ€ใ™ใฃใ‹ใ‚Š่กŒๅ‹•็ฏ„ๅ›ฒใŒ็‹ญใใชใฃใฆใ—ใพใฃใŸใ€‚

Thanks to having my own car, my range of activities has drastically/thoroughly decreased.

2 Likes

ใ‚บใƒซใ‚บใƒซ

ใพใŸใƒใƒ‹ใƒฉใ‚ทใ‚งใ‚คใ‚ฏใ‚’้ฃฒใ‚‚ใ†ใจใ—ใŸใŒใ€ใ‚บใƒซใ‚บใƒซใจ้ŸณใŒ้ณดใฃใŸใ ใ‘ใงใ€ไธญ่บซใŒใ‚นใƒˆใƒญใƒผใ‚’ๆ˜‡ใฃใฆใใ‚‹ๆฐ—้…ใฏใชใ‹ใฃใŸใ€‚

I tried drinking the vanilla shake again, but there was only a slurping sound, and no sign of the contents coming up the straw.

1 Like

ใƒœใƒผใฃใจ/ ใƒœใ‚ฉใƒผใฃใจ

ใ‹ใ‹ใฃใฆใใ‚‹ใ‹ใฉใ†ใ‹ใ‚‚ๅˆ†ใ‹ใ‚‰ใชใ„้›ป่ฉฑใ€ไธ€ๆ—ฅไธญใ“ใ“ใงใƒœใ‚ฉใƒผใฃใจๅพ…ใฃใฆใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ ใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€‚

Iโ€™m sitting here idly all day long, waiting for a phone call that may or may not come.

1 Like