Orange 🍊 Chapter 22

Chapter thoughts!!!!

And there we go. Kakeru is rescued. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Naho and Kakeru will be together for some time. Who knows how long. Future Naho got a glimpse of happy and alive Kakeru.

Hagita stole the show. Both in the present and the future. Destroying Kakeru’s bike was a brilliant idea and then he did it too. :joy: And he’s very smart in the future, correctly anticipating and figuring stuff out. I like how we really get to see the smarts he has, when he starts the story as mostly comic relief. And on that note, that hug Hagita gives Kakeru when Kakeru finds them in the corridor on the fateful day. I couldn’t help but laugh with them all at his antics.

When we started this series, I liked Naho the best. I could see myself in her. I knew what it was like. And then we got to see more of Azu and I liked how happy go lucky she was most of the time, but still had a lot of emotional depth. And then lastly we get Hagita and Takako taking more room, seeing into their characters more.

Naho and Kakeru are obviously the most developed.

In that way, the one I understand the least is Suwa. The hero we don’t deserve, and the hero whose actions feels a bit too good to be true. Maybe he was always that altruistic, but I feel like his willingness to so completely put his love for Naho aside is the only thing I don’t quite jive with. Because we never get anything else from him, his whole existence seems to be about giving Naho up so Kakeru might live. And that’s very one dimensional.

We always see Suwa through the lens of him helping Naho save Kakeru. And him saving Kakeru himself. And we know his love for Naho. Outside this, I don’t know anything about Suwa at all. He’s just a support pillar for Naho and Kakeru. And despite clearly being the third most important character after Naho and Kakeru, I feel like I understand and know Azu, Hagita and Takako better. (Perhaps Takako the least of those three.)

That is not where I thought I’d end up.

But the last couple of volumes really fleshed out Azu, Hagita and Takako. But I don’t feel like I got anything new from Suwa, except that he knew the most about the future of them all.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve enjoyed the story a lot. Seeing these poor teenagers having to grow up too fast, figuring out stuff that most adults struggle with.

The above thing about Suwa? Minor thing really. It just sticks out to me.

I look forward to seeing what stuff will be fleshed out by the two additional volumes. :heart_eyes:

There we go! The main story has ended. Man, I’m so glad this was recommended to me years ago. And I look forward to rereading this in a few years, perhaps when I can read Japanese manga volumes at the same speed I can in English/Swedish.

Even so, I think a slow pace worked well for this manga. In that way, it worked fine as a learner. :slight_smile:

Anyway, more to come in a few weeks time, and I’m looking forward to it!

5 Likes