๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 21st
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 11.47% // Volume II: 31.04% :fireworks:

Words found under the kotatsu

็ถธๆ—จใ€Œใ‚Šใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ The Emperorโ€™s command; a private message from the Emperor

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 1555

ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
ๆต…้‡Žๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ใŒใ‚“ใพใ - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

Volume II: 1555 - 15??
(currently 1560)

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Head of the Oda clan
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟกๅบƒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใ‚ใ€- Older brother
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‚†ใใ€(also: ไฟกๅ‹ใ€Œใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€) - Younger brother

ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€- Hideyoshi
โ€“ ๆœจ่‚ก ๆจฉไธ‰ใ€ŒใใพใŸ ใ”ใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€(Nickname: ใ”ใ‚“ใž) - Servant

ๆต…้‡Ž ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ๆŸด็”ฐ ๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€) - Military Commander
ๆฑ ็”ฐ ๆ’่ˆˆใ€Œใ„ใ‘ใ  ใคใญใŠใใ€- Military Commander

ไฝไน…้–“ ็››ๆ”ฟใ€Œใ•ใใพ ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€(nickname: ็Ž„่•ƒใ€Œใ’ใ‚“ใฐใ€) - Retainer
ๆฃฎ ๅฏๆˆใ€Œใ‚‚ใ‚Š ใ‚ˆใ—ใชใ‚Šใ€(Other name: ไธ‰ๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ•ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€) - Retainer
โ€“ ่˜ญไธธใ€Œใ‚‰ใ‚“ใพใ‚‹ใ€- Son

ๅฑฑๆทต ๅณ่ฟ‘ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ†ใ“ใ‚“ใ€- Magistrate
โ€“ ๅฑฑๆทต ็พฉ้ ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ‚ˆใ—ใจใŠใ€- Father (Chief Vassal)

ๆˆธ้ƒจ ๆ–ฐๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใจใน ใ—ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Castle commander

Maeda Clan
ๅ‰็”ฐ ๅˆฉๅฎถใ€Œใพใˆใ  ใจใ—ใ„ใˆใ€(childhood name: ็Šฌๅƒไปฃใ€Œใ„ใฌใกใ‚ˆใ€) - Military commander

Saito Clan
ๆ–Ž่—ค ็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใ•ใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Military commander
โ€“ ๅญซๅ››้ƒŽใ€Œใพใ”ใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๅ–œๅนณๆฌกใ€Œใใธใ„ใ˜ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Father

Akechi Clan
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - Military Commander
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Military Commander and adoptive father of Jyubei
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ็ง€ๆบ€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฒใงใฟใคใ€- Son, and retainer to Jyubei

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท ็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Takeda Clan
ๆญฆ็”ฐ ไฟก็Ž„ใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ—ใ‚“ใ’ใ‚“ใ€- Daimyo

Asakura Clan
ๆœๅ€‰ ็พฉๆ™ฏใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใใ‚‰ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใ’ใ€- Daimyo

Glad to hear youโ€™re feeling better!

20 Likes

Feb 21, Tue of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚นใฎใ†ใ•ใŽ Ch.8

I read at around 30-60 min per chapter, while the audio tracks are around 10-20 min.

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.5 Ch.22-23

Reminiscence before a storm. Actually, memory is of a storm.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใ•ใ™ใ‚‹ = to rub; to pat (e.g. at the back). A Kanji form is ๆ‘ฉ(ใ•ใ™)ใ‚‹.
  • ใ„ใ˜ใ‘ใ‚‹(.) = to grow timid; to cower / to become warped
  • ใตใ—ใ ใ‚‰(.) = loose; dissipated; licentious / sloppy = ใ ใ‚‰ใ—ใชใ„
  • ใปใ†ใผใ† = everywhere; all directions = ๆ–นใ€…(ใปใ†ใผใ†)
  • ใ‚ใ‘ใ™ใ‘ = frank; straightforward = ๆ˜Ž(ใ‚)ใ‘้€(ใ™)ใ‘
  • ใคใ‚Œใชใ„ = cold; unfriendly; indifferent. Sounds like, wonโ€™t take along (้€ฃ(ใค)ใ‚Œใ‚‹), or couldnโ€™t catch a fish (้‡ฃ(ใค)ใ‚‹), to me.
  • ใ—ใใ˜ใ‚‹(.) = to fail
  • ่ซซ(ใ„ใ•)ใ‚ใ‚‹ = to warn; to advise against. Also, ่ซŒ(ใ„ใ•)ใ‚ใ‚‹, just different Kanji form. Has Furigana.
  • ๅ‚…(ใ‹ใ—ใš)ใ = to serve (a master). Has Furigana in context.
  • ้ (ใจใŠ)ใฎใ = to become distant = ้ ้€€(ใจใŠใฎ)ใ
  • ไบค(ใ‹)ใ‚ใ™ = to exchange words. Compare ่บฑ(ใ‹ใ‚)ใ™ = to dodge, which also be of words. Also, ไบค(ใพใ˜)ใ‚ใ‚‹ which has different meanings (to intersect / to associate with other people).
  • ๅทฎ(ใ•)ใ—ๅ‡บ(ใง)ใŒใพใ—ใ„ = being meddlesome. Verb form is ๅทฎ(ใ•)ใ—ๅ‡บ(ใง)ใ‚‹.
  • ใ‹ใๅ‡บ(ใ )ใ™ = to rake out (e.g. water) = ๆŽป(ใ‹)ใๅ‡บ(ใ )ใ™
  • ๅฏ(ใญ)ใ‹ใ›ใ‚‹ = to lay something down. Also, ๅฏ(ใญ)ใ‹ใ™.
  • ๆ‰(ใ‚‚)ใฟใปใใ™ = to massage = ๆ‰(ใ‚‚)ใฟ่งฃ(ใปใ)ใ™
  • ๆฐ—(ใ)ใŒๅ‘(ใ‚€)ใ = to feel like doing. Being filled with such feeling is ใ‚„ใ‚‹ๆฐ—(ใ)ๆบ€ใ€…(ใพใ‚“ใพใ‚“).
  • ่พ›ๆฐ—่‡ญ(ใ—ใ‚“ใใใ•)ใ„ = irritating; depressing; donโ€™t like thinking about
  • ไบœ็กซ้…ธ(ใ‚ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ•ใ‚“) = sulfurous acid. Sulfuric acid is just ็กซ้…ธ(ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ•ใ‚“).
  • ๅฑ‹ๅค–(ใŠใใŒใ„) = outdoors. ้‡Žๅค–(ใ‚„ใŒใ„) is also outdoors.
  • ็”ปๆœŸ็š„(ใ‹ใฃใใฆใ) = unprecedented; revolutionary
  • ๅ‹‡ๆ•ข(ใ‚†ใ†ใ‹ใ‚“) = gallant; heroic
  • ๆญฆๅ‹‡ไผ(ใถใ‚†ใ†ใงใ‚“) = heroic saga
  • ๅฏ„ๆธฏ(ใใ“ใ†) = stopping at a harbor
  • ่ˆชๆตท(ใ“ใ†ใ‹ใ„) = sea voyage. Sounds like ๅพŒๆ‚”(ใ“ใ†ใ‹ใ„) = regret, but of course the context would be different.
  • ็ฒ’ๅญ(ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ—) = a particle. First Kanji is ็ฒ’(ใคใถ).
  • ็›ฅ(ใŸใ‚‰ใ„) = washbasin; wash bowl. Has Furigana.
  • ๆด—้ขๅ™จ(ใ›ใ‚“ใ‚ใ‚“ใ) = washbasin; wash bowl. Well, just a bowl, not a big electronic machine (ๆด—ๆฟฏๆฉŸ(ใ›ใ‚“ใŸใใ)). Also, smaller than ็›ฅ(ใŸใ‚‰ใ„).
  • ๆฐทๅšข(ใฒใ‚‡ใ†ใฎใ†) = icepack. I remembered the second Kanji, but not the reading. Has Furigana.
  • ็™‚้คŠ(ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚ˆใ†) = medical treatment / recuperation
  • ไธปๆฒปๅŒป(ใ—ใ‚…ใ˜ใ„) = attending physician
  • ็ต‚ๆ—ฅ(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ˜ใค) = a whole day
  • ้‹ไผ‘(ใ†ใ‚“ใใ‚…ใ†) = stoppage (of a transportation service). In context as ็ต‚ๆ—ฅ้‹ไผ‘(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ˜ใคใ†ใ‚“ใใ‚…ใ†).
  • ไฟ็ฎก(ใปใ‹ใ‚“) = safekeeping (of money, goods)
  • ไบบ(ใฒใจ)ใ•ใพ = other people
  • ่ฃๆœจๆˆธ(ใ†ใ‚‰ใใฉ) = backdoor
  • ๆ™ฉ้…Œ(ใฐใ‚“ใ—ใ‚ƒใ) = evening (alcohol) drinking (at home with meal)
  • ๆ˜Žๆœ(ใฟใ‚‡ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†) = tomorrow morning. No Furigana. The reading comparable to ๆ˜Žๆ—ฅ(ใฟใ‚‡ใ†ใซใก), which is a formal reading of ๆ˜Žๆ—ฅ(ใ‚ใ—ใŸ) or ๆ˜Žๆ—ฅ(ใ‚ใ™).
  • ็ด้ชจ(ใฎใ†ใ“ใค) = placing a personโ€™s ashes inside a funerary urn
  • ๅ‹ฟไฝ“(ใ‚‚ใฃใŸใ„) = airs of importance. That puts ๅ‹ฟไฝ“็„ก(ใ‚‚ใฃใŸใ„ใช)ใ— under a different meaning in context.
  • ไบŒ(ใซ)ใฎๅฅ(ใ) = next spoken word
  • ๅพŒๅญฆ(ใ“ใ†ใŒใ) = future reference
  • ่ณญๅ ด(ใจใฐ) = gambling den
  • ไธ€ๆœŸไธ€ไผš(ใ„ใกใ”ใ„ใกใˆ) = once in a life time encounter
    • The reading of ๆœŸ looks like in ๆœ€ๆœŸ(ใ•ใ„ใ”) (last moment before death).
    • The reading of ไผš looks like in ไผš่€…ๅฎš้›ข(ใˆใ—ใ‚ƒใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚Š) (those who meet must part / every encounter must involve parting).
  • ็„กๆˆ‘ๅคขไธญ(ใ‚€ใŒใ‚€ใกใ‚…ใ†) = losing control of oneself; being absorbed in
  • ่ทฏ้ ญ(ใ‚ใจใ†)ใซ่ฟท(ใพใ‚ˆ)ใ† = to be set adrift in streets; to be left without means of survival
  • ่‹ฆ่™ซ(ใซใŒใ‚€ใ—)ใ‚’ๅ™›(ใ‹)ใฟๆฝฐ(ใคใถ)ใ—ใŸใ‚ˆใ† = as if having swallowed a bitter bug; having a sour facial expression
  • ้ ฌ(ใปใŠ)ใ‚’็ด…ๆฝฎ(ใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†)ใ•ใ›ใ‚‹ = to have flushed cheeks; to blush. ็ด…ๆฝฎ(ใ“ใ†ใกใ‚‡ใ†) is blushing; reddening / or just red sea waves (reflecting sunrise, sunset).
  • ่ŒถๆŸฑ(ใกใ‚ƒใฐใ—ใ‚‰)ใŒ็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใค = tea stem floating upright in a cup, a sign of good luck
19 Likes

I am almost finished with my first read-through of Cherry Magic after reading for about 50 minutes yesterday. I love this book and am excited to go through it intensively. I may start Super Lovers book 1 as well.

20 Likes

:snowflake: Day 52, 21st of February :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Today the two soldiers are fighting the wolf! Real cheeky of the narrator to label the enemy as โ€œweakโ€ ( ๅผฑ(ใ‚ˆใ‚)ใ„) but I suppose itโ€™s the first enemy. Itโ€™s even acknowledged by the characters themselves.

็‹ผ(ใŠใŠใ‹ใฟ): โ€œIโ€™m just the beginningโ€ฆโ€ (both as an introductory enemy and that there are more foes yet to come)
ใƒขใƒซใ‚ญ: โ€œYeah duh.โ€

19 Likes

February 21st

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 11 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Began reading volume 11, read up to page 16.
Today: Continued up to page 36.

A little bit of progress today but Iโ€™m still 20-ish pages away from finishing this volumeโ€™s first chapter. Maybe Iโ€™ll manage to do that tomorrow. :face_exhaling:

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๆ•ฃใ‚‰ใฐใ‚‹ - (ใกใ‚‰ใฐใ‚‹) - to be scattered about

23 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 21 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒป่–ฌๅฑ‹ใฎใฒใจใ‚Šใ”ใจ๏ผ“ (68% โ†’ 70%)

Archaic word: ๅฆƒๅฌช(ใฒใฒใ‚“) - emperorโ€™s wife and concubines

Just drawing for fun! :3

Last time I drew something, I got so excited I forgot to look properly at the piece I was using for reference. Second try turned out not too terrible tho, hehe

25 Likes

Day 51
Iโ€™m nearly finished reading Kindaichi Shounen Vol. 3. This time the solution of the case was more down to earth. I tried to search if building an artificial ice bridge is actually possible but couldnโ€™t find anything useful. The police officer lost against Kindaichi but he is not giving up and wants to beat Kindaichi next time.

3619 pages read

20 Likes

February 21st!

I read the first 2 chapters of Komi Canโ€™t Communicate today.
I found it a bit tough, but Iโ€™m reading quite late at night and also I always find the start of a new series difficult!
It looks like its going to be a fun read once I get into the swing of it :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

22 Likes

Reaching Chapter 3 yesterday, while I am happy to see I could read that far, I still have a little ways to go level wise.

I while listening to the audio book wasnโ€™t necessarily a problem in Chapters 1 and 2, its becoming a bit of a hindrance with Chapter 3. There are a lot more words I donโ€™t know per page, so I think rather than finishing this week, I gotta go back to slow-mode and read manga on the side again. This will set me back in that I wonโ€™t be able to finish by the end of the challenge but for my own language growth I think its for the best.

18 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: ๏ผ’ๆœˆ๏ผ’๏ผ‘ๆ—ฅ :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ ch 19, volume 2 down! - I appreciate how subtly things weave together in this series. There isnโ€™t really a โ€œstoryโ€ per se, but the social fibers of the town are slowly building up in the background. I do also think this series is pretty significantly harder than its listed level on natively (L19), at least a few levels harder than stuff like ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ, ้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“, and ใƒใƒ”ใƒใ‚น. Thereโ€™s so much wordplay that wouldโ€™ve been indecipherable to me if I had picked this up as a first manga

Word of the Day:
ๅ‹˜้•ใ„ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใกใŒใ„ใ€ใƒผ misunderstanding, mistaken idea, wrong guess

22 Likes

Nothing wrong with that! It looks cool :slight_smile: I always forget the name of those things

7 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :switzerland:

February 21st

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ9
148 - 185 (end)

ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ 1
-

I was determined to finish this volume lol. More questionable stuff on the n front, but I guess I really need to set aside time to see if the anime scrubbed the references from the manga or if people just willingly forget which government certain characters work for or what.

Also, it seems around this time, Araki suddenly got a circle tool. Thereโ€™s about 5 or so little circles showing other charactersโ€™ reactions suddenly.

23 Likes

Iโ€™m trying to read the ๅŠ่ฝใก assignments I missed (not even this weekโ€™s) and I think it should be doable. I only got ~10/60 pages done yesterday but Iโ€™ve read another 30 so I have ~20 left and while it will be cutting it close to bedtime, itโ€™s possible. Oddly hard to focus on reading today, though. Since when was February such a busy month? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

24 Likes

Home

I read 12 pages of ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ, leaving off on pg 34.

โ€ฆAnd of course played several more hours of ใใฟใฎใพใก ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข. Iโ€™ve entered the second year of my stay and completed South Block, and I dunno which did it, but now suddenly everyoneโ€™s reading books lmao. Alice is even writing her own!

Considering how the other expressions Ack has used were translated (literally, regardless of whether it made sense or not), Iโ€™m surprised his โ€œHoly corn on the cob!โ€ was translated as โ€œๆœฌๅฝ“ใซใƒ“ใƒƒใ‚ฏใƒชใ !โ€ When I heard him say that, I expected to see โ€œใƒ›ใƒชใƒผใจใ†ใ‚‚ใ‚ใ“ใ—!โ€ or something lmao

22 Likes

February 21 :snowflake: Home Post

Ended up being pretty busy today, but I got some more BU$TAFELLOWS in! And oh boy what a session it was :eyes: things are definitely getting wild out here, very excited to see how things go!

21 Likes

Home post

My trip back home got the best of me! I read on the 15th and 16th which Iโ€™m documenting here, but did not get to read for five days after. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 ๆœˆ 15 ๆ—ฅ
ใ‚ณใƒŠใฎๅคงๅ†’้™บ ็ฌฌ 44 ่ฉฑ :black_cat:

I read this on the evening of the 15th, but I got too busy packing for my trip to document it.

2 ๆœˆ 16 ๆ—ฅ
First Japanese Reader on Kindle โ€œใ‹ใ•ใ˜ใžใ†โ€ :1234:

Read the first story on the plane. No furigana whatsoever but was fun to try to decipher. Also my first time reading any Japanese on a Kindle. I could easily check the meaning of certain words although itโ€™s not 100% correct all the time. Oh and the book has the English translation and notes after each chapter, which was super useful. The story was titled โ€œKasajizouโ€ about a couple who lived in poverty, but their kindness reaped them rewards. That reward being mochi!

2 ๆœˆ 22 ๆ—ฅ
ใ‚ณใƒŠใฎๅคงๅ†’้™บ ็ฌฌ 45 ่ฉฑ :black_cat:

My first ever series on satorireader finished! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: YAYYYY! Kona made it back home safely! Thank god! What a lucky cat!

Vocabulary from today:

ใตใ‚‰ใคใ to wander aimlessly
ไธๆ€่ญฐ wonder, miracle, strange, mystery, curiosity this i know from Fushigi Yugi actually but first time to see the kanji for it!
ไฝ•ใ ใ‹ little, somewhat, somehow
ๆ‚”ใ—ใ„ vexing, annoying, frustrating, regrettable, mortifying
ใตใ‚‹ใ•ใจ home town, birthplace, native place, oneโ€™s old home what a coincidence since i just got back from home

24 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: February 21

Read 2 chapters of ใ‚ชใƒฌใƒณใ‚ธ Vol.7 for the club. I wanted to finish last weekโ€™s ใ“ใฎๆœฌ but I got a terrible stomachache and could only lie in bed like a dying fish :smiling_face_with_tear:

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 52: February 21st :snowboarder:

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‹ใ„ไธŠๆ‰‹ใฎ้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“ Volume 10 (85% โžจ 100%)

Gotta try and pick up the pace a bit later this week.

21 Likes

Well it looks like I just lost a week of reading! Had to skim the thread, but looks like others have felt the sense of busyness too!

16/2 missed - and 17-18/2!
19/2 2 pages Orange
Doubt I read, not even logged
22/2 missed

Hmm. Been busy at work, and then over the weekend I looked after a friendโ€™s dog, so was getting up early before work to walk dog. I think I just got out of a rhythm. And then initially the only thing on the list was ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใก which Iโ€™d hit a wall with.

Now Iโ€™m behind on everything!

The day I read orange I did actually do more than that - skimmed the weekโ€™s reading for ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“, and also looked at the start of spy family for this week, but just didnโ€™t progress.

Iโ€™ve got a few more days off coming up so should hopefully get back into a routine.

23 Likes

home post

22 feb

read todayโ€™s ่Ÿฒๅธซ chapter in two chunks which was kind of a shame cos i think it would have worked well in one. another story within a story type like the last one (and sort of the first one? to a lesser extent?). another sadder one, but not as much as some of them have been (more just unfortunate tbh).

words that stood out: ็พฝ็น” (ใฏใŠใ‚Š, haori (a formal overcoat). iโ€™ve seen this word in english a lot, itโ€™s pleasing to finally come across it!), ่ฃพ้‡Ž (ใ™ใใฎ, foot of a mountain), ็ตตๅธซ (painter, artist)

21 Likes