🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

I started watching a show called シャイロックの子供たち (trailer) which seems totally my kind of show, but also painfully difficult because the setting is a bank :weary: One of the first tense scenes I had to stop and just read the Japanese subs to figure out the details. I generally got that one team was hitting targets and the others weren’t, but the details beyond that were a massive blank beyond what seemed to be an accusation that something wasn’t in the best interest of the customers.
On reading the subs, I figured it out, but geeze…

相場は下がり続けてますよね。
[…]
昨年一年間に投信を買った人はほとんど元本割れしています
[…]
今投信を買えば必ずもうかるという確信があって副支店長はそれを売れとおっしゃっているんですか?

I’m bad with finance terms even in English…

12 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I found those - and even some the Non-Shin version, although weirdly only for the first few and for a few in the middle (1-12 and 299-318).

Today I tried another Comprehensible Japanese Intermediate, but after the first minute I realized I didn’t feel up to it, so I switched to a Beginner one instead. It was super easy and pretty cute:

The moral of the story is that it’s okay to accept stolen money if it comes from cute animals.

16 Likes

Seen as post of my updates for the last challenge were “listening to N5 listening tests” thought I’d repost over here as well.

I passed N5 and got a reasonable score for listening! Very happy considering my listening level was close to zero when I started the challenge.

21 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :partying_face:

6 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 20

Listened to Teppei for beginners #24.

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 21

Played BU$TAFELLOWS for 1h 45 min and watched a Nier:Automata anime chapter (with subs though).

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 22

Listened to Teppei for beginners #25 and played Tales of Arise for a couple hours (in English, but the voices are JP).

15 Likes

Jan 23, Mon of Week 5 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

I visited MIU404 on Netflix. Has original JP sub without VPN, also other languages (like EN) too. Looks decently difficult, but without pausing, it is enough to understand (though looking at Kanji for some words). (Truthfully, my VPN, ProtonVPN, has expired along with my old credit card; but it can still connect to Japan wtih free tier.)

So-matome N3 Listening Ch.4 [1/6]. Quick identification of appearances.

かがみの孤城 closing [2-3/3] + prologue (end), but this time with text.

14 Likes

I’ve done some more listening/reading with Honzuki vol. 2.

Yesterday I took a break to watch random stuff from my Youtube recommendations.

This dude is super mumbly and I don’t even know the band that well, but I haven’t been to a ビジュアル系 concert in a while (since pre-covid) and wondered if フリ trends had changed. Seems like it hasn’t, at least not for the basics.

And a tutorial to perm eyelashes at home, which was interesting in a scary kind of way. I’m not planning to try this myself but I was curious about how something like this even works.

14 Likes

Congratulations on passing!! 合格おめでとうございます!!:grinning::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

:snowflake: Day 23, 23rd of January :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Some more PiroPito, episode #21 - 25. It’s exteemely hilarious to see someone trying to figure out gameplay conventions I mayslf take for granted.

13 Likes

January 23 :film_strip:

Finished MIU404. What a fun ride that was. The cast was all so great, and they were all immensely likeable. 菅田 将暉, who I knew from ミステリと言う勿れ, was a revelation in this totally different role. It took me ages to recognize him - or, to be entirely honest, I never did. I knew he was very familiar but couldn’t place him until I looked him up.
This one is definitely on the list for rewatching without subtitles at some point.

15 Likes

All A’s woot woot!!!

8 Likes

January 23rd!

Today I listened to Lesson 16 of JapanesePod101’s Upper Beginner Season 1.
It was breaking down an announcement about a store closing and then going over how to use いただく to politely express gratitude.

(Home Post)

14 Likes

He is in everything. Once you notice him anywhere you see him in every show and movie, I swear. I want to say right after I watched ミステリと言う I watched one of the Death Note movies and the contrast in his characters killed me:

Pics

oh and he was also the lead for 3年A組:

7 Likes

:loud_sound: :snowboarder: softlyraining’s listening corner :headphones: :mountain_snow:

January 17th 〜 January 23rd

Wow, it’s been a long time since I checked in on here! Have listened every day since the last time I posted. Mostly Satori Reader, but I did listen to Sayuri Saying one day (until my phone died on my walk :smiling_face_with_tear:). Today was an episode of small talk in Japanese. The hosts discussed their lives as 社会人. I listened to this while I was outside, but my comprehension wasn’t that bad aside from the sounds of cars and my jogging app drowning the podcast out from time to time.

15 Likes

I was tired and not in a great mood by the time I got to listening to anything tonight, so I opted to rewatch some of a show I’ve already seen. @omk3 you might like Heaven and Hell: Soul Exchange | Japan | Drama | Watch with English Subtitles & More ✔️ - on Viki. It has one supernatural element (soul swap) but from there it’s classic suspense/mystery. 連続殺人事件 / 猟奇事件 type deal. The main guy in this one is also in all the shows. He was also a lead in Romance Doll, Mosaic, and some mindless romcom I watched last year.

The woman I mostly know from being in commercials :sweat_smile: I really enjoyed both their performances, though.

16 Likes

Listened to my podcast playlist at lunchtime walking the dog. Also listened to a few of my first graded readers and read along as it’s change.

14 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 23

Listened to Teppei for beginners #26 and #27

14 Likes

Jan 24, Tue of Week 5 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N3 Listening Ch.4 [2/6]. Location.

I listened to a track of ガラスのうさぎ, now on track 3. At least I can without additional cost until 31 Jan, which is when 聴き放題 for audiobook.jp would end. (I bought the subscription, then canceled one day later.)

13 Likes

:snowflake: Day 24, 24th of January :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Some more PiroPito, episode #26 - #30. He keeps dying so much in the game, but he always comes back… Wishing you all the best, you funky little creepypasta dude. :smiling_face_with_tear:

15 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: January 23-24 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

Comprehensible Japanese, Intermediate :shinto_shrine:

Yesterday I listened to nothing, at least as far as I can recall. Today, I was about to mark the same and then asked myself “do I really not have 7 minutes for the next Comprehensible Japanese episode?” and the answer as you can see above was “no, I really do have the time”.

So I learnt a little about Kabuki history. Although I didn’t quite follow why it was called kabuki. Something about multiple colors? Wearing something or other. :woman_shrugging: Doesn’t feel like something I need to know enough to look up or rewind that part. ^^

13 Likes