この本を盗む者は 📚 🪄 (Advanced Book Club)

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

Welcome to この本を盗む者は :books: :magic_wand:

Where to buy

Japanese: Amazon.co.jp | BookWalker

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We will start reading on February 4th, 2023. Page counts are estimates from a digital edition(fixed, based on the hardcover edition). Please reference the stopping points as there are few chapters.

Week Start Date Chapter Start Page Page Count Percentage
Week 1 Feb 04 Up until starred section - last sentence ending with ぺーじを繰った 6 28 8%
Week 2 Feb 11 through end of chapter 1 34 40 21%
Week 3 Feb 18 til unstarred section break - last sentence ending with お嬢さん方 76 37 31%
Week 4 Feb 25 through end of chapter 2 113 34 42%
Week 5 Mar 04 Up til unstarred section break - last sentence ending with 脱出した 150 49 56%
Week 6 Mar 11 end chapter 3 199 30 65%
Week 7 Mar 18 Chapter 4 230 54 82%
Week 8 Mar 25 Chapter 5 286 54 97%

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read この本を盗む者は :books: :magic_wand: with the book club?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along
  • Not sure
  • Yes, but I’ll be starting fashionably late
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• Paperback
  • eBook
  • Audiobook (note - appears to only be available on Audible Japan)

0 voters

Special Readings

• this book has been noted as having irregular kanji and made up names. Add readings or helpful (non-spoilery) notes here!
Name Reading Notes Proof
読長町 よむながまち Where the story starts Book furigana
御倉 嘉市 みくら かいち The legendary 蒐集家 (Week 1) Book furigana
崔 智勳 チェ ジフン 師範代 at the 道場 Book furigana + small ェ
御倉館 みくらかん The library Book furigana
御倉 深冬 みくら みふゆ The main character Book furigana
真白 ましろ A mysterious girl Book furigana
菊地田 きくちだ A teacher (体育), students call him サンショ Book furigana
三木 みき A teacher (国語) Book furigana
6 Likes

Hi @Mods , at your convenience could you make the above post a wiki so club members can add readings and names to the post? Thank you! :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Yep, done!

3 Likes

For those of you who are planning to read in digital form (or who have too much trouble acquiring the physical book) there is a 50% coin cashback for this book at Bookwalker until 2022-12-25T14:59:00Z.

3 Likes

Unfortunately no such sale on Amazon. :cry:

1 Like

Just fyi, these page numbers don’t line up with my hardback copy, where the chapters start on pages 5, 75, 149, 229 and 285. Shouldn’t be a big deal for us paper readers to adjust…

3 Likes

Ah yeah, I think I called that out in the main ABC thread. I didn’t have access to a paper copy so I just did the best I could with the ebook and mainly focused on length of sections and clearish break points (since it doesn’t break neatly like some other books unfortunately)

3 Likes

Is it ok to add proper nouns even if they don’t have irregular kanji and made up names? (like the 2 I added)

Aren’t all names made up anyway?

I’m of the opinion that anything the club finds helpful can be added so long as if it’s a spoiler it’s blurred. If the list becomes unwieldly we can revisit it and perhaps apply some organization to it, but since it’s a wiki I expect it to evolve a bit over time.

2 Likes

Hey all! I’m going to be out of town due to work and won’t have my personal laptop (and no personal things allowed on the work machine) so I’m posting two of the threads a bit early. Please note that week one doesn’t officially start until Feb 4 and week 2 til Feb 11 so please do not feel rushed.

Week 1

Week 2

6 Likes

If anyone is on the fence about reading this book, it seems the free trial contents go well beyond the reading for Week 1 (and maybe reach Week 2? Can’t tell), so it’s a good opportunity to try it out without any risk. It’s for sure what I’m doing.

Side note: am I losing my mind or does the last page of the Amazon.jp free sample literally have the bookwalker logo on it? I’m… confused.

2 Likes

I think Bookwalker is just the store of a publisher (Kodansha) and while Bookwalker also sells books from other publishers, if the book was published by Kodansha then why not put a commercial to their own service on the last page? :laughing:

3 Likes

Hmmm, I guess if that’s the case it makes sense then. In my mind it was just like… why do they have the logo of the competition in there :face_with_spiral_eyes: But if they publish the books then it checks out

1 Like

Damn, I didn’t even think of that! I just bought it last night so I could start it today.

2 Likes

It’s my first time reading with a book club here, so forgive me if it’s a stupid question/suggestion, but would it be possible to add the % and not just the page numbers to the reading schedule? I’m reading digital (as probably most people), so that would make it easier for me to see “how much is left” when I’m reading.

2 Likes

I’m unlikely to have time to go back and do that any time soon, but it’s a wiki so anyone is able to do so if they like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I’m officially in the “never catching up” group. I’m already nearly a week behind, with a little less than an hour left to read of week 2’s portion. If I really really pushed I could probably catch up within 2-3 weeks, but there are two problems with that:

1. This book isn’t easy enough or gripping enough for me to push like that (pushing to read fast would probably hurt my enjoyment)
  2. I got a new English book that I originally intended to read starting this week because this week and next were “shorter” weeks at 34 pages. Now that I’m behind, I’d have to wait several more weeks or maybe even until the end of the book club to read it, which I’m just not going to do.

Unlike Spice and Wolf, I think I will keep reading this. I am enjoying it overall, except when it throws out a ton of food or other special-category words all at once that I don’t know. At those times I want to never touch the book again! I’m just realizing that it’s not a “gripping, want to read fast” kind of book for me, so I’m better off reading it at my own pace. I’ll probably read the above-mentioned English book and 1-2 easier Japanese books while reading this, to avoid going multiple months without finishing a book like happened to me a couple times last year.

Also, to expand a bit on the difficulty. Partially in response to:

Through the first chapter (nearly done) I’ve definitely had to look up more words compared to many books I read, but for me the hardest part has just been the writing style. I’ve often found it difficult to follow the author’s train of thought. Like it flows in a direction I’m not expecting and I keep doing double takes and having to reread sections.

I think the hardest Japanese book I’ve completed so far is 薬屋のひとりごと (level 37), with close runner ups to 魔法少女育成計画 (level 35) and Red Data Girl (level 34, which feels understated to me). So far, この本を盗むものは feels slightly harder than all of those. If I were to give this book a speculative Natively difficulty from the first chapter, I think something in the 36-39 range would be fair. Its current rating of 46 certainly feels overstated by quite a bit.

6 Likes

I’m also on week 2 right now and I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling that.

In terms of difficulty, I’m getting a strong 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 | L42 feeling (except the main character is less weird). (Interestingly, the only grading available so far is that this book is harder than 夜は短し歩けよ乙女, which is not the case for me so far, but I’m still early on).
46 seems overkill, but I could see it being 40 +/- 2.

2 Likes

I could see ~35 but 40 seems far too high for me. It’s magic realism but it doesn’t seem that bad to me. I’m going to start week 3’s reading tonight so we’ll see how that goes, but I recall seeing @pm215 saying it doesn’t stay in magic realism.

4 Likes

I would say “we’ll see where it lands after everyone finishes the book and rates it on Natively”, except Natively’s limitations may not allow me to do any comparisons at all, unless you all bring it down to the low 40s / high 30s first. (And even then, if I ultimately still think it’s slightly harder than 薬屋のひとりごと’s 37, I still won’t be able to lower the difficulty rating since I won’t be able to rate it easier than anything else I’ve read.)

I hope you don’t mind me saying, but given your Japanese level this makes me feel a little bit better! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes