Week 8 17 December 2022
Story 7
End page 136
Page count 14
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

2 Likes

Some background information for preliminary reading:

I liked this story. I think the theme of ‘actually being capable of much more, but realising that no one wants that from a woman (least of all men!), so doing your best to hide your true potential’ rings pretty true for a lot of women. The ending made me really jealous; I want to be a fox and zip across forests too :grin:

This line got a chuckle out of me:

山、最高! と叫びたいくらいだったが、慎み深い日本の女であるクズハはもちろんそうしなかった。

Also, I have been trying to get better at @omk3’ing and I declare that that gloomy colleague is Shigeru, and that the main character is that kitsune-udon-loving obachan!

7 Likes

Yes, this time I got it, too. I remembered that there was a fox-shaped face in the story of the mysterious factory. Yet another point of view (however short) on a member of the Shigeru family. I wonder if all the stories will be related in some way in the end?

6 Likes

I’m a verb now? :rofl:
I totally agree with your interpretation, and I’m also very jealous of her getting to be an actual fox and living to her full potential as an animal at least.

It certainly starting to look like that, doesn’t it?

Curious what "fox eyes” are supposed to look like.

3 Likes

You get a lot of examples if you do a Google image search for 狐の顔 狸の顔.

Or do this quiz and find out your own face type (and destiny in life, apparently) :grin: あなたはどの動物顔?【16タイプの動物人相診断】で性格や恋愛傾向がわかる! | ホイミー

4 Likes