Letter 19

Orange :tangerine: Home Thread

Previous Part: Chapter 18
Next Part: Chapter 20

Reading

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Dec 10th Letter 19 43 - 85 43

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Donā€™t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, itā€™s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• Iā€™m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • Iā€™m still reading the book but I havenā€™t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like
Story comment

That was a very heavy chapter.
It really is starting to feel like we are approaching the end of the story now.

4 Likes

Yeah, we got the POV from AU Kakeru. It seems like with their hindsight they managed to make him open up a lot more in our universe

3 Likes
Chapter thoughts

Holy molyā€¦ Took me a couple of pages to realize we were with Kakeru, and from the start of the story (not in the current present so to say), and then it was clear weā€™re in the future gangā€™s past. :sob:

Heavy chapter indeed. And unlike t.A.T.u.'s song ā€œAll the things you saidā€, it was all the things you didnā€™t say. Kakeru, his mom, Naho.

Also, talk about bad ā€œfriendsā€ from Tokyo. Wants to apologize but it isnā€™t for Kakeruā€™s sake but their own.

I actually had a ex boyfriend who contacted me a couple of years after we broke up (we were still friends and I saw him and some of his friends occasionally, basically I became friends with one of his friends when we were together and still hung out with her after the breakup, and saw him through her), who wanted to apologize about our relationship/breakup. Apparently some of his friends (not ones I hung out with) found me annoying and had been bad talking me a lot during our time together (I think) and definitely after the breakup. I had no idea. But he wanted to apologize for being an ass (which he sometimes had been) and for not telling his friends off.

I really appreciated him apologizing for being an ass, but considering I was a teenager too, Iā€™m not sure I was the best girlfriend, you know. Sweet thought, and I didnā€™t mind. He didnā€™t have to apologize for his friends though, didnā€™t really like that part of his friend group since I also know those were the ones that peer pressured him into picking up smoking (yeah, not the best kinds of friends for sure). So them thinking I was annoying was kinda gratifying, I wouldnā€™t have wanted them to like me, that would not have reflected well on my character. :crazy_face:

I guess I felt the need to ease the tension a little with an anecdote, because this chapterā€¦

Communication is the hardest part of being human, but also the most important one (probably). It can only get better than this chapter, right? Having gotten Kakeru to open up more and such. I hope so. :cry:

4 Likes

Iā€™m back again! This chapter. :cry: Hagita wearing Azuā€™s skirt was definitely the high point.

Comprehension question

At the end of the chapter when he is reading his momā€™s last unsent email to him, is she saying that she divorced his father because he was abusive and she didnā€™t want Kakeru to get hurt? And then that she knew about his problems with his senpais and thatā€™s why she moved them and had him change schools? And she threw away his soccer stuff because she didnā€™t want it to bring up bad memories, and stopped him from joining clubs because she was worried about him making good friends (that is to say, worried that if he joined the soccer club he would make more bad friends)?

At the beginning of the chapter I was thinking ā€œoh my god sheā€™s so awfulā€, then with her letter you start to understand where sheā€™s coming from, even if sheā€™s very misguided at certain points. But Iā€™m having a hard time understanding her state of mind ā€¦ If I understood the letter correctly, then it seems like she was always trying to protect him, even if she didnā€™t do it in great ways all the time ā€¦ Not that suicide is a ā€œreasonableā€, logical decision, but Iā€™m having a hard time understanding where her feelings came from. She isnā€™t depicted in a way that feels like she is all that depressed ā€¦

Anyway, I think this chapter from Kakeruā€™s point of view was probably very necessary, but Iā€™m hoping things get a lot better from here on out.

1 Like
Summary

She was saying that her husband was always abusive towards her, but he always kind to Kakeru. Naturally, Kakeru loved his father because he only saw his good side, so she never confided in him about the terrible things heā€™d done. In a way to protect his good image of his father, she simply chose to divorce him which made her look selfish because he didnā€™t know truth.

In the same way, she ā€œselfishlyā€ makes all the decisions that she thinks are best for Kakeru and will protect him (everything you interpreted correctly). She even decides to move them to the countryside thinking it would be better for them.

Her problem was she was still dealing with the trauma from her abusive relationship. She probably had no one she could talk to about it and likely the hospital she was visiting was a psychiatrist who gave her medicine to try to numb her emotions.

Kakeru only knew that his mother was ā€œabnormal,ā€ but he probably never really understood how much she suffered. The message in the end gives him a new perspective on how his mother saw things, and he feels extra guilty because it means he had been selfish and not thinking about his feelings (though itā€™s not his fault because heā€™s also a kid trying to figure things out).

As for she doesnā€™t seem all that depressed, Kakeru apparently didnā€™t seem that way too before he took his life. He looked like he was struggling with things, and his friends noticed and reached out to him, but according to Nahoā€™s letters, he started growing distant until the accident came out of nowhere. The whole message of the manga is we donā€™t always know how much someone is struggling, but when they suddenly disappear from our lives, weā€™re filled with a deep regret and wish we couldā€™ve done the things for them we struggle with doing at the time. Especially in a society like Japan where everyone is good at covering their true feelings, itā€™s important to not hesitate to reach out when you feel something is off.

And specifically regarding Kakeruā€™s mother, itā€™s probably hard to relate unless youā€™ve been in a real abusive relationship. Alcoholism is a big issue here, and although that doesnā€™t specifically doesnā€™t come up, itā€™s likely a factor of the abuse. The father seems like a functioning alcoholic who takes out his stresses on his wife. And Kakeruā€™s mother probably really struggled with divorcing him because he was good to her son, but she had to do what she did for her own mental health. But taking away her sonā€™s happiness like that could definitely contribute to her depression.

3 Likes