神さまがまちガえる | Week 4 Discussion

Pages 60 - 76

Chapter 2 part 2

Start Date: 26th November
Previous Week: Chapter 2 part 1
Next Week: Chapter 3

神さまがまちガえる Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

8 Likes

Nice Chapter ! I would also love to watch the sunrise from up there in the sky, great way to start the day ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
This second half was less dense in dialogue and new vocab than the previous half, so it was more laid-back than last week. Nonetheless I still have a line that could use some guidance.

Page 64

あーぽいかも
is the ーぽい, the same one as in 子供っぽい, childish ? So is Kon saying, “it’s just like you”, 'it resembles you" ? (being part of the football club)

7 Likes
Page 64

My understanding is that in this particular case, あー is separate from ぽい. あー is just an elongated あ to denote something similar to “ah, I see”. っぽい, when used by itself and not attached to a noun, is spelled only as ぽい.

I also believe the sentence in this context means “you seem like it”.

8 Likes

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “you seem like it” (what is “it” here?), but I agree with @Makushi_Rutsu’s original interpretation of “it’s just like you”. Basically, he seems like the kind of person who would be in the soccer club.

9 Likes
page 66

行けるとこ限界きついまでってわ

I have a problem to understand the construction of this sentence. I understand it roughly as “I’m determined to go to the limit (as far as it’s possible to go)”, but the place of the word きつい in the sentence confuses me. What does it mean here? Does it refer to limit, Kousei or something else?

page 72

ふへ

Is it onomatopoeia for laughter (and if yes, what kind of laughter?)

Overall, this week was also easier for me. I’m a little afraid of the next one, though :smiley: I may not make it in time.

3 Likes

Mystery solved, all the bugs were Itachi’s genjutsu! (sorry for the lame joke, I got back to watching Shippuuden after fillers-induced hiatus, only 110 episodes to go xD)

3 Likes
Page 66

So before this phrase, Iyoda says :
“登山みたいに山頂があるわけじゃないから”
Which I understand as
“It’s not like mountain climbing since there’s no summit”

Then Kousei replies :
“な、行けるとこ限界までってきついわ” (you reverse きつい and までって)

Break Down
行ける Potential form of 行く, The ability of going (able to go, can go)
とこ = ところ Usually a physical place, but also sometimes a point in time or in this case a metaphoric place (the utmost limit)
限界 Utmost limit / to the max
まで as far as / until
って casual topic marking particule, replacing は. Not sure, but it’s my guess
きつい Though / Demanding / Harsh
emphasis

So in essence : “As for being able to go until the utmost limit, it’s demanding !”
So he is responding to the comment of Iyoda made before. It’s difficult to continue focusing on the effort since there is no summit, so to say there’s no clear goal to reach, your limit is the limit.

I’m glad we’re out of the period where they would overflow us with filler episode. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece were really a pain to watch because of them.
I probably never finished them, except Bleach

7 Likes
Page 61 questions
  • Akira: スカイツリーくらいかもっと上まで上がるつもり
    What’s the か after the くらい?
  • Kasane: 行ってきなよ
    I guess she’s telling Kon to go, but I don’t know how the sentence breaks down.

Chapter notes

I am SO JEALOUS of Akira being able to do aerial photography totally on his own without having to rely on drones and observation decks and such. That would definitely be a “rent a better camera/lens and cancel everything else” occasion for me. And it’s clear how excited he is about that prospect too - he’s even getting up before sunrise (!!) for it, despite being such a late-rising sleepyhead! (I can relate, as a fellow photography-loving night owl…)

Also: Kon is really sweet, coming back for Kasane.

I was hoping that the matter of “What happens when the bug ends and you are in the air?” is adressed. Maybe at a later point, but I guess it might just stay a mystery.

3 Likes
Pg. 61

I think it’s just an embedded alternative use, without offering an actual alternative. Basically, “Around the height of the Skytree or so.

行ってきなさいよ, but shortened:

行ってくる → 行ってきなさい → 行ってきな

3 Likes