BU$TAFELLOWS 💰 (Visual Novel Book Club) // Completed

Okay so we have a few more things to vote on. I want to once again say that some of these things we will re-evaluate after the first route is done. And honestly when it comes to speed, it looks like we’ll have to play it a lot by ear, since we don’t know the length of chapters.

First things first. We have to pick a route to start. Here are the choices: リンボ, シュウ, ヘルベチカ, モズ, and スケアクロウ (time to practice our katakana!). リンボ is the main guy on the cover and mentioned by name in the description in the OP. @Sylph found two different recommended orders, the one I just listed them all in, and リンボ, スケアクロウ, ヘルベチカ, モズ, and シュウ. Read Sylph’s post for more information.

The VN is set up so we can pick whichever one we want (they are all unlocked from the start), but it seems we kinda have to decide early in while reading, so let’s just pick one going in.

Which man should we date first? (Yes, you only get to pick one! :smiling_imp:
  • リンボ
  • シュウ
  • ヘルベチカ
  • モズ
  • スケアクロウ

0 voters

For at least one route, there are two possible paths to the good ending (if I’m reading the guides right). Do you want me to put up a poll in that case or should I just pick a path (basically if the guides disagree on what is the main path)? Do realize there will be (mild?) spoilers if we go with the poll option (otherwise I’ll need to call the options path A and path B, and then the poll doesn’t really matter, does it? xD ). I’ll make this poll to decide anonymous so no one feels like they have to announce whether they trust my judgement when it comes to path picking. xD

Shall we have a poll if there are multiple paths to the good ending for a route or can MissDagger choose one (both should be good supposedly)?
  • Poll
  • MissDagger

0 voters

Next poll is about memorabilia (CGs I’m guessing) and bad endings. Each route has at least a couple memorabilia and one bad ending. I believe there is something unlocked at 100% completing the game, but for the true/full ending, all we need to do is get the good ending with each man (if I understand it correctly).

Should memorabilia and bad endings be part of our schedule?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Either is fine

0 voters

Also to note, I will always note what answers we have to give during choices in the game to take us down the right path. And I’ll pass along saving instructions whether we decide to read the extras together or not (so you might easier go back later to finish the alternative things).

We will revisit some of these decisions after we finish the first route. Because we might feel different.

I also want to note, that we could be reading this VN for a very, very, very, very long time if we read slowly. I absolutely think we should start slow and then speed up as we get comfortable, but I’m saying this now because the amount we will need to read each week (in a while) might make this very hard for a beginner to keep up. I expect intermediate folks (like me!) will have to dedicate a lot of time too if we want full comprehension.

This VN is rated as 35 hours long at native speeds. We won’t be reading at native speeds. Loopers (the previous pick in the VN club) was rated as 5.5 hours and that was read over 17 weeks. And I know for myself I was spending about 2 hours a week for the first few weeks (I kinda crashed out of it so can’t tell if that would have improved), and that was reading among the shortest chapters in the whole VN. :sweat_smile:

I’m not saying all of you will be that slow, or that I will be that slow with this VN. But we can’t exactly take 7 times as long because that is over 2 years (7*17 weeks = 119 weeks). xD

So if we want to read it the whole thing together, by necessity we will have to go fast after we get settled into the writing style, etc.

Also, for those who’ve done other book clubs here on WK, for the first VN read with the VN club, we didn’t have a vocabulary sheet, but then probably 90+% were reading on PC with yomichan, so they only had to hover over a word to get the definition. As mobile and Switch readers, we won’t have yomichan.

I’m debating back and forth whether it would be a good idea to set one up or not. It is a lot of work to contribute to it and I know I personally won’t have time to do that. (Sorry! :sob:) And they aren’t that readable on a phone (google sheets complains my tablet has a too small screen…), so depending on what medium you guys use for lookups while reading, it might not be used much.

Let me know if I should put up a poll about a vocabulary sheet.

And lastly two things!

1. Don’t forget to vote in the when to start poll and whether you’re buying physical from Japan in the first post after the OP.
  2. I will be rather an available for the next 48 hours, so if you ask me something, I’ll answer when I can.
5 Likes