ユージニア :rose: Home Thread

Week 1

Start Date: Nov 05
Next Part: Week 2

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Start Page Page Count
Week 1 Nov 05 手紙 + Prologue + Chapter 1 1 + 2 + 35

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
青澤 緋紗子 あおさわ ひさこ the blind girl (ca. 12 yo at the time of the event)
1 Like

I’ve read up to 1.4 so far and I really like the writing style.

I had a look at the translated sample on Amazon out of curiosity, and I was surprised to see there was some extra information there that I didn’t see in the Japanese version. The prologue for example is specified as “Transcript of a police interview with Hisako Aosawa. Interviewer: Detective T-. File: Aosawa Murders, City of K-, I- Prefecture.” whereas the Japanese version just starts with the questions and answers, no explanation. Similarly, chapter 1 is subtitled “A conversation with Makiko Saiga, the author, thirty years after the murders”. I wonder why these were added in the translation. I really like the vagueness of the Japanese version, where you read without any idea of what you’re reading about, and information is only gradually pieced together.

7 Likes

I’m up to 1.5 and agree - the drifting, unfocused writing style is fun. I wonder if the translator thought it was too vague for Western audiences? I have no idea why though, plenty of novels are written like this in English. Maybe the editor read it and called it too avant garde :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

Oooo that makes me really curious to check out the German translation (which was published very recently) :slight_smile:
But I think before I do that, I should read it in Japanese first :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Finished chapter 1 and I’m really liking it so far.

Chapter 1 has enough info to tell you where it's set

Chapter 1 doesn’t (given the conversation format) ever come out and explicitly state a location, but there are enough details in there to identify it:

• it’s on the north side of Japan
  • it’s got a railway station, two rivers and a hill
  • it’s the site of one of the three famous gardens of Japan
  • at the end of the chapter, the naming of the 成巽閣 identifies it conclusively

It’s Kanazawa (edit: fixed typo!).

If you want to see what the blue room looks like this site has photos.

5 Likes

I haven’t finished the chapter yet (and probably won’t have time to finish today) but I’ve also been trying to figure out the location! I’ll come back to read your spoiler later, but I’ll see if I can find out myself first :smiley:

3 Likes

All done! I love the writing so far, and very much enjoy the very gradual revealing of information. I wonder how it goes on from here…

I did figure out the city on my own, with the help of a map, wikipedia and some googling. Funnily enough, one of the first things mentioned in the wikipedia article about it is the humid subtropical climate with hot, humid summers. :sunny:

5 Likes

私も英訳の第1章まで読み終わりました。日本語の試し読みもできたので、比較しながら読みました。初歩的ですが、日本語の「あたし」が英語で「I」になるって不思議です。

それから、確かにそうですね! 英訳では、オリジナルにない登場人物の説明や、小説の舞台となる街についてのヒントが加筆されていますね。

個人的には、話題となっている街のつくりを読者側がある程度理解していると、第1章の話者の視点の流れを理解しやすいかもしれない、と思った翻訳者さんの気遣いかな、と思いました。

例えば日本人がこの作品を読んでいたら、多分すぐにネットでどの街か調べると思います。そう考えると、英語で読む人は、どの街か調べないまま読み進める人が多いんでしょうか。どうなんでしょう。

読まれた方の作品についての感想はもちろん、舞台となっている街にどんなイメージを持たれたか、とても気になります。もちろん話の続きも楽しみです。

10 Likes

そうですね。「あたし」や「わし」や「吾輩」は全部「I」になります。何か物足りなさを感じます。

I just finished this weeks reading myself. I was curious of the famous case being referenced so I looked it up:

帝銀事件 for those interested. I haven’t had time to read it in full yet as I have other book clubs to catch up on, but it is, as the book mentioned, a post-war mass murder by poisoning.

Also I had to look up in English what autotoxemia was after seeing 自家中毒病. I’ve never heard of this before! Google tells me it is self-poisoning caused by absorption of toxic products originating within the body. which sounds absolutely horrible!

7 Likes

僕もこの”自家中毒病”という病気を聞いたことがないです(笑)

5 Likes

一章全部読みました。最後の部分気になりますね。Saigaは何で考え方が変わったのか。今後が楽しみです。

言葉の疑問だと、時々出てきた**“limbo”**という意味が分からなかったです。

例えば*”We were in limbo,that white summer, while the police investigation dragged on through the late summer heat.*

limboを辞書で調べたら、

名詞
《カトリック》辺獄◆洗礼を受けずに(原罪のままで)死んだが、地獄には行かない人がとどまると考えられた場所。◆【参考】limbo of the fathers ; limbo of infants◆Limboとも表記される。
忘却のかなた[ふち]、忘れ去られた状態
中間の場所[状態]
〈古〉拘束、監禁、刑務所
limbo=hell?, forgotten?, jail? こんな感じですか?

3 Likes

実はin limboですね。意味は「宙ぶらりん」であるらしいです:in limbo - Jisho.org

5 Likes

えー!そうなんだ!ありがとうございます^⁠_⁠^

3 Likes

あれ、書いたものが消えてしまったようで。
皆さん、すみません!!
なんでだろ〜??

もしかして、このごみ箱アイコンをクリックしてしまいましたか?

普通はこうなんです:

でも、あの「。。。」をクリックして、ごみ箱のアイコンが現れます。

5 Likes

そうかもしれません。。。よく覚えていないんですが(もっとまずいですね)。
pocketcatさんのは表示が日本語ですね。私のは英語なんですが、変更ってどうすればできるんでしょう?

4 Likes

消してしまったなら、この矢印を押すと

蘇ります!

5 Likes

よみがえりましたー!! お二人ともありがとうございますー。すごーい!!

3 Likes

あら、そうなんですか

説明は長いですが

自分のプロフィルの写真をクリックして、
あの人間みたいなアイコンもクリックし、
「設定」もクリックし、

「表示設定」もクリックし、
インターフェースの言語を変更します!

4 Likes

優しいアドバイスをありがとうございます。感謝感激です!!!

さらに、この機会を利用して、ついでに二つ質問よろしいでしょうか。

1. 書き込みにみなさんがよくしていらっしゃる「白い煙幕」はどのようにすればできるのでしょうか。
  2. 頂いたコメント(Reply)の一部を引用したい場合(Pocketcatさんが私の書き込みのReplyでなさっているような感じ)、どうすればいいのでしょう。

超初心者の質問で甚だ恐縮ですが、教えていただけたら助かります。
よろしくお願いいたします。

6 Likes