耳をすませば 📚 | Week 8 Discussion

My last few thoughts on this story!

And there we have it, the end of the story!

The seeing the sunrise scene felt very convenient that it happened, but then that was actually acknowledged in the story. That line that was about fate. That is the way to do an unbelievable scene: make the characters acknowledge it too and that’s it. ^^

I throughly enjoyed this ride.

I feel like I didn’t quite follow what happened with Yuuko. Did she confess to Sugimura? Or did she talk about maybe doing it with Shizuku? That somehow it would be good/all right to be rejected? Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Sugimura feels a bit like a loose end to me. Like we ended the arc of his confessing, but how did their relationship look after that? Was it okay? But neither he nor Yuuko were more than side characters with arcs that intersected our main characters. So it feels okay to be left a bit vague.

One wonders for the future though. Two sisters dating two brothers, what if/when one of the couples break up? Awkward. :joy: Although considering the age of everyone, probably both relationships will end, so should be fine in the long term.

Though to be fair, I’ve had a fine relationship with most of my exes. Perhaps after the emotions of love have receded from the one who got dumped. So perhaps they will all be fine even if one couple survives for a looooong time. ^^

Now I’m just wildly speculating. :joy: And now I get to go watch Whisper of the Heart, and maybe I’ll see about seeing the live action sequel when possible. :smiley:

Also, I’d be totally up for reading the remaining material that is part of some versions, like the extra short story and even the essay+interview+atogaki since I’ll probably try to read those myself at some point. :slight_smile:

8 Likes