Week 21

Start Date: Oct 15
Previous Part: Week 20
Next Part: Week 22

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapters Page Count
Week 21 Oct 15 44, 45 44

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Pretty much every Nakata and Hoshino chapter so far I’ve just been like “I love these two characters so much, they are such a nice counterpoint to the dark/creepy/problematic stuff in the Kafka chapters”. Chapter 44 (major spoilers for this chapter!!!) I was still thinking that and then Nakata died :sob::sob::sob::sob: The bit where Hoshino is thinking about how he really wanted to read before he died and then the last thing he did was to burn the manuscript was especially sad.

As an aside, I’ve been suuuuuper exhausted because of work stuff these past couple of weeks and was worried that I wouldn’t be able to catch back up with this but the audiobook has been a real godsend. For some reason even when I’m way too tired to read I can still enjoy the audiobook and it’s been a really nice way to get through these chapters. Well I mean, that one Kafka chapter where he dream rapes Sakura was still very much not pleasant but still.

3 Likes