Spy X Family Volume 3 thread

Welcome to Volume 3 of Spy x Family!

Unless we have a large number of posts I plan to keep one thread per volume, with a weekly post checking participation etc.

|Home Thread| Spy x Family Offshoot

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 15th October Mission 12 7-34 27
Week 2 22nd October Mission 13 35-56 21
Week 3 29th October Mission 14 58-88 31
Week 4 5th November Mission 15 89-114 26
Week 5 12th November Mission 16 115-140 26
Week 6 19th November Mission 17 141-160 20
Week 7 26th November Extra Mission: 2 161-194 34

Vocabulary

Iā€™ve decided for now, as discussed below, to use the original book cub vocab sheet and keep adding to this. Not sure if this will work or not but will try to post the link here!

Spy x Family vocab sheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questionsā€“itā€™s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent 惍ć‚æ惐惬. If youā€™re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current weekā€™s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I donā€™t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current weekā€™s reading (including trigger warnings that havenā€™t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the ā€œHide Detailsā€ or ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ options. The text which says ā€œThis text will be hiddenā€ should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of ā€œHide Detailsā€, the section in the brackets that is labelled ā€œSummaryā€ can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=ā€Chapter 1, Pg. 1ā€]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the ā€œHide Detailsā€ option.

The ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasnā€™t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select ā€œin this topicā€. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! Itā€™s fun, and itā€™s what keeps these book clubs lively! Thereā€™s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, thereā€™s a very good chance it has crossed somebody elseā€™s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example:
Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• Iā€™m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • Iā€™m reading this book after the club has finished
  • Iā€™m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have read this part.ā€

Donā€™t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

2 Likes

I have only been able to read the first volume, since my library only has 1, 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 for some reason

1 Like

Could you get 2 and 3 online, eg from Bookwalker?

1 Like

God it was hard to stop at the end of this chapter, such a cliffhanger!!

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m being really dense - Lloydā€™s cooking on p15, what is the shape meant to represent? (Have a feeling I donā€™t want to knowā€¦)

1 Like

First page of next chapter should help answer.

1 Like

Iā€™m still not quite finished this chapter - partly as Iā€™m busy and partly because itā€™s almost excruciating to read!

Posting the weekly post a little early as Iā€™m diving tomorrow morning at 8amā€¦

Reading Mission 13 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along
  • Iā€™m still reading the book but I havenā€™t reached this part yet

0 voters

*If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have finished this partā€.

1 Like

Reading Mission 14 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

*If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have finished this partā€.

1 Like
Chapter Comments

I love the way Anya is shown reading Yorā€™s thoughts, and her reaction to them hahaha

2 Likes

Reading Mission 15 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

Currently behind, but not that far - mission 14 is quite dialogue heavy!

2 Likes

Well I found this weekā€™s reading much more fun than last week! Probably because of going back to seeing more of ć‚¢ćƒ‹ćƒ¤ćƒ¼ but I suspect also because it isnā€™t much fun watching someone thinking theyā€™re about to be arrested by the secret police.

Reading Mission 16 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

1 Like

I thought this was another fairly fun chapter. Didnā€™t seem like it would be at first.

2 Likes

Posting this just before I take off on an RFDS flight!

Reading Mission 17 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

2 Likes
Chapter comments

Anya wouldnā€™t let this get to her head right? (it does)

Seems like we will get a new member in the family! I think this is as far as the first season of the anime goes and I havenā€™t been watching the second one so as not to spoil myself. Looking forward to the skills this new member will bring!

3 Likes

One question please

Page 149

What does Becky mean with 恊恏ćØ恓悂ćŖ恄恗? Closest thing that I could find that makes sense is that 恊恏ćØ恓 is sometimes used to refer to having another smaller house in the backyard of a house, but since Anya lives in an apartment that doesnā€™t quite fit.

Random story comments

Lel @ Beckyā€™s obsession with pink war machines.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s how dogs work, Yor-san

3 Likes

Place to put (ē½®ćę‰€)? Like, no place to put that thing, anyway.

2 Likes

Looking at your comments Iā€™m beginning to feel Iā€™m missing out with the black and white version - I hadnā€™t realised those things were pink!

3 Likes
New hairstyle

In the first page of EXTRA MISSION, I donā€™t think ć‚³ćƒ¼ćƒ‡ć‚£ćƒćƒ¼ćƒˆ is used this way in English. (Maybe they do?)