🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 6th

Just did a little Satori Reader today. I honestly didn’t feel like doing much else. It happens; hopefully I’ll be more energized tomorrow.

12 Likes

Finished Men in Black last night.
Watched all of Men in Black 2 tonight.
Thought I had seen it already but apparently not. Comprehension level not nearly as high as during the first movie.

12 Likes

X3 I will try to join too. I hope I will find enough material to listen to. So far I found it difficult.

Oh but yeah actually I did listen to something already yesterday.

Did Listening lessons in the book Try! JLPT N3.

10 Likes

Kanrei’s Listening Challenge

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Listened to

• Try! JLPT N3 (Started at Lesson 7)
    I listen to the text in the beginning without reading, then with reading, and again just reading to go through words which I didn’t understand.
    Then there’s a JLPT mock test and there’s some listening exercises too.
13 Likes

Did the listening exercises in Lesson 9 of “Try! JLPT N3”.

9 Likes

Oct 7, Fri of Week 2 of Fall :maple_leaf: 2022

I have started yurucamp S2 on Netflix (now at Ep.3), and continued HUNTER x HUNTER (1999) as ever.

However, a problem with Netflix, as well as audiobook.jp and many other YouTube’s – loudness is too low. Not loud enough with laptop speakers, and sometimes with smartphone and headphones and surrounding noise… Also, Netflix doesn’t allow screen capture, but this is a relatively small problem (probably with pro on focus as well).

Now at HUNTER x HUNTER Ep.53, which is a little further than my manga reading. First hurdle I can see is vocabularies, as generated subtitles aren’t accurate anyway, even with not-in-dictionary pseudo-vocabularies; but then I can easily see that knowing more vocabularies helps. As long as I learn more some other ways, it should eventually be fine, I guess.

I listened to a little of voice actors’ drama audio a few days ago, and I find it just touchable. Last week I also found Nihongo SWITCH on Podbean, which isn’t so bad. (My understanding was ok, but not yet good enough, and I realized there are transcripts.)

10 Likes

October 6 :film_strip:
An episode of Mononoke and a short 水木しげる 妖怪えほん clip.

October 7 :film_strip:
Another episode of Mononoke and the first episode of the Junji Ito collection that I found on youtube.

Thoughts on Mononoke: I love the art, I like the story - as far as I understand it- but I don’t love the audio. Much of it is silence, or screams and other incoherent voices, some is very slowly enunciated for effect, and then there are bursts of normal speed speaking in between all that. I’m not sure it’s the best choice for listening practice. I will stick with it some more though, because I do find it interesting, and I love the visuals.

Thoughts on Junji Ito: I haven’t read anything by him, but I’ve looked at some of his works and they seem to be creepy in a very unique way. The art style of the animation was very different though, and subtracted from that. It was still creepy, but didn’t feel as unique. I may try another episode, or I may not, not sure. The embedded English subtitles didn’t help much with listening either.

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 7th I’ve listened to

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 7, 7th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Today I watched episode one of Mononoke (thank you KJules for the link!) and while I have no idea what’s going on I’m blown away by some of these shots. Amazing, amazing, amazing. It’s like a poem being acted out visually.

For a more comprehensible experience I’m going to listen to the audio recordings of some more free Tadoku books.

12 Likes

October 7th

I had a class with my tutor at lunchtime today so that was lots of listening practise! We talked about winter approaching, and the increase in energy prices in the UK, and also spoke about a wedding party I went to last weekend.

This evening I listened to an episode of Nihongo Con Teppei too. It was about space :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

12 Likes

I found an old episode of トリビアの泉 on youtube, so I watched that – brought back memories of watching it on a tiny CRT TV back in the mid-2000s in Japan when it was originally broadcast. I’ve always thought it’s a good series for language learning: it’s funny, it has a lot of repetition built into the structure of the episode, there are subtitles of the important bits to assist with the listening, and if you don’t understand something it doesn’t matter because it moves onto the next segment pretty quickly anyway…

13 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home post

10月07日

• Several YouTube videos about 原神 (about 20-30 min ish in total).

I’m not sure if I forgot to post anything I listened to these last days but anyways. I was kinda hopeful I could track the work I do just to have something to track in this challenge, since I don’t follow days anymore, but I don’t think I’ll track anything at this point. It’s pretty hard to quantify or define what I watch or listen to, in this case for example, with YouTube videos, and at the end of the day it doesn’t really add much of use to my study or motivation. I’ll just continue posting normally and most likely say goodbye to the home post :saluting_face: . I’ll think about what I want to do with it going forward ;-; .

12 Likes

I’m still traveling so keeping things simple. Watched YouTube today and tempted myself with yet more books…

13 Likes

Tuned into Hokkaido News 24 and JapaNews24 for a collective 30 minutes. Pretty sleepy at the moment, most of its going right past me. Except a segment about original designs coming back at Uniqlo, got most of that.

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 7th:

Decided to give the first episode of エッセイラジオ a try. The calming narration and music reminds me of Sound Library. I really did try to focus, but two things got in my way: the lack of headphones (didn’t want to get up and get them) and my partner’s mutter (over some mobile game or other). Note to self: keep a pair of headphones by the bed if you’re gonna do listening practice at night. I’ll have to give the episode another listen.

13 Likes

October 8 :headphones:

2416 → 2336
SuperNative today. I wasn’t in the mood for concentrating for long, so I thought I’d do something short and sweet. How wrong I was. My score went way down, and I kept listening to more clips in order to get it back up, with the result of it plunging further. In the end I gave up before it could reach 0. :expressionless:

12 Likes

Oct 8, Sat of Week 2 of Fall :maple_leaf: 2022

Today, I went in a car with my family to renew the passport, so I got a chance to visit (2) Kinokuniya bookstores. On the route, I watched YouTube, because I can’t read anyway. Onomappu is as interesting as ever, in particular –

I watched 2 of Onomappu’s.

I also watched 日本の森, and I found an interesting one explaining songs.

Well, I liked this artist a while ago (several months ago), but I can’t remember the song’s name (although I perfectly remember the tune).

I also listened to other songs being explained. I found a song in particular being shadow-banned by YouTube.

To be honest, several years ago, when I was actively doing WaniKani, I can’t tolerate 日本の森, even with subtitle; but I rarely need to look up anything in the subtitle nowadays. (Well, I noticed several months ago.) Listening alone is probably alright too, although I am not sure I should do that yet.

I arrived at the shopping center a little carsick. There was quite a traffic jam just on entering the building before parking.

Then, when I have some time alone (during book-shopping), I listened to a whole playlist of Yonezu. (Well, I like the rhythm, and I listened to around 22/33 minutes.)

While I don’t feel the music particularly effective for learning, it can be listened with very little stress, and reflecting whether I really understand the lyrics or not. (I don’t really, although if I sing, I might understand a little more.)

I bought a piano music score book (of Japanese songs), and another book featuring several smart peoples (celebs?).

Before the trip, I also watched 1.5 episodes of HUNTER x HUNTER.

12 Likes

Yeah I didn’t think until @omk3 mentioned it that the show might not be great for listening practice specifically. I just think it’s quite visually captivating. But I certainly wouldn’t model my own Japanese after that style.

5 Likes

Main post

On October the 8th I’ve listened to

• Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners podcasts 587 – 598
12 Likes

October 8th!

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei, and watched an 800 Core Words video from JapanesePod101.

(Home Post)

11 Likes