🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Those are also things I struggle with so adding this to my list. Good find! :pray:

Oddly I already knew about this because of the Netflix show based on it. I never got into watching it though.

5 Likes

I am using the app, but couldn’t find those :thinking: 本屋大賞 is the only prize I see in the category list.
I can get some stuff by just putting the name of the prize in the search bar, but I guess that’s not what you mean?

Hmm, I guess the difference in contents I mentioned is not a matter of “website vs. app” but rather of “Japan vs. overseas”?
I am using the Audible app that I downloaded from the German App Store, and it’s partly in German (I guess they have a frame that works for all Audible stores, and then they just plug the Japanese contents into that?)

Anyways, in my app the 本屋大賞 is a “collection” but the others are “subcategories” (while on the website the former is a “list” while the latter is not there at all?!):

My German app

“Browse” page, part 1:

“Browse” page, part 2:

“文学・フィクション”:

Yeah I noticed that too! By entering 芥川 in the search bar you get books by him, books about him, and books that won the prize :rofl: But I found it too distracting to really recommend it to you.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t check that! Found it, thanks.
It’s so weird that they are being handled differently than the 本屋大賞 (that we can even see in your second screenshot)…

1 Like

That really confuses me as well. But then again, who needs consistency? :woman_shrugging: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi everyone! The Winter Listening Challenge is up!

Feel free to continue posting here until the next challenge starts!

9 Likes

Dec 27, Tue of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Yesterday, I watched 初恋 EP.1. Also, listened to several songs in 紅白歌合戦.

Today, I watched 初恋 EP.2. Then, listened to かがみの孤城, March [10/10]; then Noriko and Akane sensei on Podbean.

5 Likes

I listened to an hour of the audiobook for 十津川村天誅殺人事件 and decided to shelve it. I’d previously read a book by this author and loved it, but this one just isn’t doing it for me. I might revisit it later (there were definitely a few small parts I missed due to just zoning out a bit) but the story just doesn’t intrigue me that much.

I also listened to the first (very short) chapter of 最後の医者は桜を見上げて君を想う which was mildly interesting but nothing special. I liked the wide cast list because I’ve been wanting something a bit more audio-drama style. The plot really isn’t my type (死を肯定する医者×生に賭ける医者), but I figured I’d give it a whirl anyways for a change of pace.

edit: oh btw there are a TON of ‘to be released’ 赤川次郎 books on Audible right now so I will soon (few months to a year) have a plentiful supply of easy nonsense to binge :popcorn:

8 Likes

Summary post

Almost done with 2023! Still have a perfect score on the challenge, though I definitely listened to more Japanese some days compared to others…

For Spanish, I have two episodes left of Frontera Verde. I think the next time I attempt this challenge, I’m gonna stick with Bob Esponja, because as soon as I discovered it, I kept wanting to just watch that because it’s so much easier than shows for adults, haha.

For Japanese, I had another breakthrough in listening comprehension! In the December 15 show, only some of the post-match comments were transcribed on shupro, so I was on my own for the rest. I couldn’t get much out of a few of the videos, but I did manage to translate one of them in-full, using just my listening with a tiny bit of help from the twitter caption, which luckily transcribed the hardest line.

The comments were from Maki Itoh and Rhio, who is a British wrestler who does not speak Japanese. The two of them teamed together, and Itoh translated for Rhio afterward (Itoh started learning English in 2019, and she’s actually gotten pretty decent at it!). I had to watch to see if Itoh pulled a Kamiyu while translating…

I was really pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to catch all of Itoh’s translations! Granted, they were very straightforward, and I had the help of Rhio’s comments in English, first, but it still made me happy! That was the first time I’ve been able to translate anyone’s post-match comments in full without a transcript.

Here’s a photo from the show, which was Mizuki’s 10th debut anniversary, so they celebrated her with a “瑞希だらけのバトルロイヤル”, which was officially translated quite elegantly as… “Full of Mizuki Battle Royale” :sweat_smile:. It was a delayed entry battle royale where all of the wrestlers entered wearing old Mizuki gear (except for Miyu Yamashita, who was unable to fit into any of it, so she wore her own debut gear, which got her disqualified from the match) and had to prove that they were the best Mizuki.

In order, we have: Suzume, Miyu Yamashita, Hyper Misao, Miu Watanabe, and Yuki Aino. Their comments after this match had a lot of background noise interference and just general chaos and were utterly indecipherable to me, haha.

Today, I just finished translating the last TJPW show of the year, which was on December 24. Nothing in particular to report from this one, though here’s a photo:

Arisu Endo faced Pom Harajuku in a randomly drawn singles match with a 10 minute time limit, and Pom got a bit too much into the Christmas spirit… Can’t believe this was actually the second time that week that I watched a match where tinsel was used as a weapon. The other time was a no-disqualification match in America. Some wrestling things are just universal.

I’ll post an overall wrap-up post after the end of the month, probably! I’m also hoping to join everyone in the winter listen every day challenge, but it will probably be during the off month again :sweat_smile:!

7 Likes

Dec 28, Wed of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I watched half episode of 初恋 EP.2. Then, かがみの孤城, 閉城 [1/3]. Not much today, actually.

For audiobook, I usually listened from some time after the beginning of the track, to some time after the beginning of the next track. Year counting remains particular troublesome. I can’t count so fast. (In contrast, first ten days are particularly easy. Months too.)

5 Likes

Dec 29, Thu of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I watched latter half episode of 緊急取調室 EP.3. Then, かがみの孤城, 閉城 [2/3].

After that, I simply listened to old tracks of かがみの孤城.

5 Likes

I’ve ended up disappearing here as well as in the reading challenge for a little while :eyes: . I haven’t done listening as diligently these last couple of weeks, just some YUYU podcasts in different days. I still always do some form of listening everyday, like some YouTube or Twitch streams and so on, but I don’t consider those occasions actual and proper listening most of the time, I guess, because I always listen to them very leisurely and passively, whereas with podcasts I always make a conscious effort to pick up and understand what’s being said. It doesn’t even need to be podcasts in particular but I do need to feel like I’m actually doing it for listening training and not just simply for entertainment.

I had quite a nice routine with the early morning walks and so on where I was able to listen to a lot of podcast episodes, but we had an annoying rainy season for the majority of the first half of the month and my habit fell apart quickly. I want to resume that again once New Year’s is over so hopefully I start the new challenge strong again :slight_smile: .

I’m also discovering that cooking videos are stupidly relaxing and fun to watch, but the downside is that everything looks amazing and it hurts because you can’t eat it :drooling_face: . There also seems to be a strong culture of cooking in JP YouTube, I’ve found a lot of videos already with great production, though sadly I can’t recommend anyone in particular because they’ve mostly been random videos from my recommendations, sowwy.

8 Likes

I started (and dropped) The Killer Inside (on Viki) today. It’s about a guy who is the son of a notorious serial killer. One day he wakes up and is missing days, and the style of killings his father was known for have started again.

If you don’t mind dark content, this is an easy show re: listening. I didn’t have subs of any kind turned on and was following without effort because the dialogue is spoken clearly, pretty straight forward, and not really wild vocabulary (aside from crime stuff like 拷問).

Speaking of 拷問 though - I’m kind of over ‘women being tortured’ as a central focus in crime dramas. I don’t care for torture scenes and frankly the exciting part of murder mysteries / crime shows for me is the motive, not the act.

5 Likes

I watched Somebody’s Flowers from the online Independent Film Festival last night. It was long, slow, and fairly depressing, as you would expect from a film dealing with the aftermath of losing a loved one in an accident. There was a minor mystery, and a lot of “what would you do in their place”, and I didn’t watch it without interest, but it definitely could have been more compact if nothing else. For listening, the speech volume was generally lower than the surrounding sounds, often making it hard to make out what they were mumbling.

7 Likes

Dec 31, Sat of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Yesterday, I listened to an episode of Learn Japanese with Noriko in Podbean. Today too, but Extra! in Patreon,

Today, I also listened to 2 tracks of かがみの孤城; thus ending the audiobook. So, it becomes the first audiobook for me to finish, and within the year too; though, technically, I focused on the audiobook at around half the book, that is 下. There are also tracks I haven’t listened, at the middle of the first volumes = 9 tracks. This audiobook has a nice sound, so I would still consider listening to it, remaining tracks or re-listening.

I am at a loss of what to listen next, but I would consider an audiobook, as a substitute for light novels; as sometimes when read longer texts, I feel sleepy easily and cannot go at a decent speed. (So, book recommendations work here too.)

国内 drama and perhaps anime are still considered, but those are in a different category.

6 Likes

Summary post

A couple days late, but here is my wrap-up post for this challenge!

Dec
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

= Japanese
= Japanese and Spanish

:partying_face:

In Spanish, I ended up finishing Frontera Verde, as well as the behind the scenes feature for it on Netflix! I enjoyed the show, though it was definitely a bit difficult. I also watched a bunch of episodes of Bob Esponja, and was really happy to discover that I’ve gotten far enough with Spanish that I can watch some shows without any subtitles whatsoever.

In Japanese, I pretty much just watched wrestling, haha! Most of my daily listening was only a few minutes long, since I would watch and/or rewatch post-match comment videos from Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling, following along with shupro’s transcripts for them (if I had them), and trying to make sure that my translations were correct. The rest of the days, I watched Japanese pro wrestling shows for my listening practice, which are a lot longer than the post-match interviews, but which are basically entirely extensive listening practice for me, since I watch them live with only limited translation (and no transcripts/subtitles of any type), which means my comprehension is low. I am getting better, though!

I feel like I almost always have some sort of breakthrough during these challenges, and I feel like I had big ones in both Spanish and Japanese during this one! So I’m really happy about that. I’m looking forward to joining the winter listen every day challenge during the off month!

8 Likes

I don’t know if there are many audible users here, but I’ve been having troubles with the app recently and I can’t seem to find a solution online.
There’s a sort of banner at the bottom showing what I have been listening to and I can’t dismiss it. That was not an issue, but recently it started appearing over stuff instead of under, leading to the situation where I can’t see what is at the bottom of some pages:

I tried updating the app, restarting it, removing it and reinstalling it and nothing worked…

1 Like

Doesn’t appear to be happening on mine. I have an android phone, and it appears my last app update was Jan 25th. My listening stats looks like so:

pic

Audible can be accessed online via computer, but I guess it depends on how much of the app functionality this is breaking for you.

2 Likes

I managed to get rid of the player by logging out and back in :stuck_out_tongue:
The way it looks for you is how it was for me until recently (well, except for the position of the menu).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.