🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Another vintage film: this is one from Matsushita (aka National, aka Panasonic) in the 1960s, about their electric and electronic appliance manufacturing:

1960s Japan notes:

• Starts with all the factory workers standing to sing the company song…

• all the people on the factory line assembling the electronics are women; all the people in the business training and tech training classes are men

• a few of the members of the public who’ve come to see the demonstration/showroom at 12:00 are in kimono – this must surely have been the final years when some women still wore kimono for daily life?

• goods for shipping still being loaded on board as individual boxed TVs; containerization would I think arrive within ten years

10 Likes

I’ve definitely seen some references to women in kimono (in everday situations, seemingly to signal they’re Proper Ladies :tm: ) in 1960s texts but it seems gone by the 80s. I honestly can’t think of anything from the 70s I’ve read or watched though :thinking:

6 Likes

November 19th!

Today’s listening was something entirely new! My tutor who I have been having lessons with via iTalki for over 2 years was working as a sound engineer for a Japanese band in a city about 30 minutes from my house so I went to the show to meet him in person for the first time. :blush:
He introduced me to some of the band members so I got to practise speaking Japanese in person - it was the first time I’ve had a real face to face conversation in Japanese, and also the first time I’ve spoken Japanese to a native speaker who wasn’t a teacher!

It was a really great experience all around, lovely to finally meet my teacher after so long, and the band were great. They were called the Wisely Brothers, if anyone wants to check them out on Spotify!

(Home Post)

14 Likes

Got caught up with Mob Psycho, rewatched the last 3 episodes of Chainsaw Man. Watched an episode of Gun Gale Online. My Pokemon craze ended today. I watched 23 episodes in a week, so I am pretty burned out on Pokemon.

9 Likes

How exciting for you!

Took Teppi round the supermarket. Discovered that the episodes are also on youTube. I’ll go back and follow along with particularly tricky episodes where I don’t understand much at all, I think.

New n5 listening book arrived on Friday, it’s a bit older and the reviews on amazon said it’s too hard - it’s most definitely harder but thats good practice. An example of something that’s harder is a question where you had to listen and then so some mental arithmetic to arrive at the answer (I’ve got 2000 yen and I need to buy 6 cakes which cake do I buy)

8 Likes

Nov 20, Sun of Week 8 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I listened to some Japanese songs, then YUYU on Spotify, then Himari smelling chicken butt on Youtube, then How to make an omelette. (Then, I found and watched another omelette.)

The last one looks difficult, but I guess it can be improved by practicing a lot (I mean cooking).

Then I watched Sora The Troll.

Then, exercise time with a PT. After that, I watched an interesting on Youtube – 日本の不用品が海外で大人気!いったいなぜ?【Jの追跡】(2022年11月15日) - YouTube. I am not sure whether I like announcer’s voice, though.

9 Likes

Hello everyone!
I only learned about this challenge today, so I’ll just try to do some listening every day from today till the end of November.
I’ll probably watch YouTube (あかね的日本語教室 or さいとうなおき), i would also watch Blue Period.

Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 51, 20th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

By chance youtube recommended me another Tokyo Lens video. Once again tiny homes and fun chats with the architect who build the place and lives in it, as well as the (now graduated) architecture student Ayaka!

10 Likes

November 20th!

Today I listened to two more lessons from the “Culture Class: Essential Japanese Vocabulary” series from JapanesePod101.
The topics were animals and plants.

I also listened to Episode 94 of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners. It was about increasing your vocabulary.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

November 20 :film_strip:

I left my listening for super late today. I thought I’d watch something more “normal” than Dorohedoro today, but I’m not sure I succeeded. I watched the first 45 minutes of Homunculus, and it’s very, very strange, but not in the captivating way that Dorohedoro is. I had tried watching it twice before, but without subtitles, and it starts with homeless people talking, so I understood nothing and I gave up. I watched with English subtitles today, as this system seems to work for me at this stage (sometimes I don’t even refer to them, but sometimes they’re all I have to go on). But yeah, I’m not sure I want to continue the movie.

10 Likes

Probably gonna start up JoJo again now that my Pokemon phase ended Saturday. Got the audiobook to help me read along with Shield Hero too, so my listening practice is pretty secure for the time being.

8 Likes

I did no listening yesterday (or reading) and today has gotten away from me and I haven’t read anything again. I’m in trouble for book clubs :grimacing: But, I did listen a bit at least. I found the person who makes the ‘Criminal’ youtube videos has a personal channel. It’s mostly video game play throughs and such, so not my typical fare, but I dabbled a bit because on this channel his voice isn’t altered and he sounds straight up like a voice actor. Ended up watching this for a bit: 意味が分かると怖い漫画~雑談 - YouTube

Now for bed :zzz:

10 Likes

Main post

As I’ve mentioned in “Read Every Day Challenge” thread, I haven’t been feeling all too well lately, so, while I was doing occasional reading and listening, for simplicity it would be best to say that I haven’t listen to anything from November the 8th to November the 17th.

During November 18th – November 20th I’ve:

• Caught up with the NHK Easy News.
  • Relistened to Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 039 – 050.
10 Likes

Did 45mins or so of N5 listening drills. No Teppi yesterday.

10 Likes

November 21 :headphones:

One hour of audiobook today ( 体育館の殺人 for the mystery club), while reading along. Needless to say, it took a little longer than one hour, with all the pauses and the lookups. I’d probably be able to follow along adequately even without (so many) pauses, but then I wanted to be absolutely sure of my understanding. It’s a mystery, after all.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 52, 21st of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Did some listening and speaking drills on the mimicmethod. Today I was practicing the /ɕ/ or sh sound. Surpisingly difficult, because it’s pronounced further back in the mouth than e.g. in English.

10 Likes

November 21st!

I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, but my comprehension was far lower than usual, so I listened to it a second time.
Second time around I understood a fair bit more initially, but towards the end I struggled again.
I’m pretty tired today, and had a bit of a stressful afternoon, so I’m going to cut myself some slack and leave it at that for today. I’ll probably try listening to the same one again tomorrow when I’m feeling a bit perkier!

(Home Post)

9 Likes

I dabbled in some mindless youtube videos and then watched one about a woman who was killed by her stalker after repeatedly going to the police about him. Also I was introduced to a channel which is basically treating weather girls like idols: Weathernews
I have mixed feelings. Some of the clips are funny, but the comments on the videos kind of rub me the wrong way.

9 Likes

Did about an hour and a half of Shield Hero’s audiobook. I hate the audio quality, and they have like no compression for when Raphtalia screams or makes… other noises… So people can hear outside my headphones and are probably like “The fuck is this 外人 listening to?” T-T
I am almost done with volume one so I won’t suffer the embarrassment for much longer.

10 Likes

November 22 :film_strip: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

One episode of Dorohedoro today. There were zombies in this one, and this felt like the most familiar, understandable thing of the whole anime so far, just to give you an idea of how bizarre it is. Still, I love the detailed dystopian setting, and I somehow feel for the characters, even in all their weirdness.

And some demo pitch trainer. The same words get repeated again and again, yet I still don’t get some of them right.

10 Likes