🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Main post

On October the 25th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
10 Likes

Burning through my ever growing list of ‘watch later’ on youtube:
History of Japanese Surnames - I probably only caught 80% of this
An explanation of NSAIDs - I usually do ok with this channel but apparently drug mechanism explanations are beyond my active vocab reach right now :melting_face:
This raunchy interview (R rated but exclusively dialogue)
and some marriage seeking advice.

I only finished the last names and the raunchy interview, everything else I got bored midway through. One of those days. At least my headache meds worked and a migraine was stopped in its tracks :pray:

Also @omk3 I also feel like I can only hear the pitch correctly maybe 60-70% of the time and that’s after I once tried for something like 2 months to practice daily. It doesn’t seem to impact my ability to understand things, but it’s probably a useful skill for people who plan to communicate more via talking.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 25th:

Did Satori Reader and listened to an episode of Thinking in Japanese about preventing the damage of staying up late. He mentioned a few studies, like it’s best not to eat anything late at night, but if you do, things like yogurt or fruit are good since they don’t take so long to digest. Water is best, though. Still, everyone has their own internal clock, so doesn’t it matter more how long before you go to sleep that you’re doing this, rather than just “at night” in general? Then I started thinking about an article I saw once involving people who shop really late at night…man, I wish I could remember the article, like what the headline was.

I found the article! They live their lives at night to avoid people, kind of like how I wish I love waking up early because no one’s around to bother me. Anyway, I kind of went on a journey today with this one.

10 Likes

October 26 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Third episode of Parasyte (still fun and fairly understandable), and some more Migaku. Reached level 25, whatever that may mean.

I definitely don’t intend to do any output any time soon, so I guess it’s more of a mental exercise for me. It’s interesting though, once I started understanding what pitch accent is all about, when I look up a new word I’m not satisfied with only looking up the meaning. Unless I know what its pitch accent is supposed to be, I feel like I’m still missing important information. :sweat_smile: And for several words that I had only seen written down, I’ve been surprised when I heard them during my daily listening, because they sounded so different to how they did in my head, I barely recognized them (that’s where the subtitles come in handy).

11 Likes

Did the last two mondai of all the N5 listening material I’ve got easily to hand.
Bit disappointed with how I got on.
But there’s only one way to improve :muscle:

10 Likes

Oct 26, Wed of Week 5 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I continue to watch 1-2 episodes of HUNTER x HUNTER per day, with generated sub.

Yesterday, I also watched an old episode of Death Note (EP.8), when I don’t want to learn too many things yet.

Today, I also watch Dr. Stone on Netflix on tablet, with JP sub. Well, half is about convenience, and I didn’t look up much, although I probably should. I somehow think if I continued Yuru Camp S2, that would be too heavy on substance (like real places and real activities).

Dr. Stone seems to have some weirdness regarding character designs and plots, but if I don’t think too much on how it begins, the story might not be so bad.

I also watched a suggestion from YouTube, which is in my subscriptions – 信じられないターミネーター2の撮影方法や小ネタ集【メイキング映像】 - YouTube. (I watched after an Ischi’s song from a link in this forum.) Although I can usually understand the clip (with full JP sub) on time, I really need high focus. Focus drops and meaningfulness flies.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 26, 26th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode 3 of あかがみんクラフトClassic. They were talking about a sweet I had before! These ones if you were wondering.

Alright, now that I managed to sneak some listening into the last minutes of my day, I’m going to bed.

10 Likes

Main post

On October the 26th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
11 Likes

October 26th!

Just one episode of Nihongo con Teppei today.
I’m hoping to do a bit more listening each day next month than I have been during October - I’ve just been super busy this month so its been hard to squeeze in much time where I can focus properly on listening.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 26th:

Homework took over my life today, so I ended doing maybe a quarter of my normal Satori Reader practice and listened to maybe 4 minutes of a nihongo SWITCH podcast episode. I’ll try to revisit both tomorrow for more thorough practice.

11 Likes

October 27 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Nothing much to report, one more episode of Parasyte and some more pitch trainer (level 25 → 26) as seems to be my routine lately.

11 Likes

Relistened to the entirity of the JEES II JLPT N5 audio, started listening to the Genki I audio thingys from the back of the book.

10 Likes

Is this the anime that has the character みぎ? It’s how I remembered my left from right in Japanese. Really like that anime.

3 Likes

That’s it, yes. And I must say he quickly turned from scary and gross to kinda cute. :joy:

5 Likes

Ahh cool, enjoy! It was nice to watch something very different from the other anime I’d watched at the time.

4 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 27, 27th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Listened to an episode of comprehensible Japanese. It was about family relations. Also there was a part that I think meant the plural form of something? Can こども be either child or children, but こどもたち being always the plural form? Something to look up in my grammar study.

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 27th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
10 Likes

Oct 27, Thu of Week 5 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, when I am about to watch an episode of HUNTER x HUNTER, I noticed that I didn’t have the generated sub yet, so…

I stopped watching and generated a new sub first (less than hour), before watching.

I listened to an interviewing podcast.

I also listened to Nihongo SWiTCH.

• Dialects
    • At least it is not as far as “different languages in Japan region”.
    • Perhaps I’ll be revisiting this topic later, focusing on the dialect understandable by most natives (標準語), for now.
10 Likes

Going to be really unambitious today as pushed for time and energy…

4 Likes

October 27th!

Today I listened to another episode of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners. It was pretty easy to follow :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

10 Likes