🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Nihongo con Teppei again today. Just episode 32 オススメの勉強方法について
Some random bits, Japanese game trailers on Nintendo Switch

Went for a walk with my roommate. I carried nothing, they carried their phone with them, but didn’t use it. During that walk I talked about a random oldish movie. The next time I used Netflix, you might think that random movie and related titles were my favorite thing. Then I thought, oh, third party data

That’s the one :books: Edited out this whole thing in my last post about how I have the physical book on the shelf closest to me where I study. How I accumulate markers in there until I give a section a thorough read through. That I had previously marked ばかり, read it, and cleared it. That I still had to go back to it. But I’m making an effort to go quantity over quality with update posts

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 21st:

Was only able to muster up the energy for chores and Satori Reader. :disappointed: We’ll see how this weekend goes.

11 Likes

October 22nd

Today I listened to episode 73 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners. It was about how podcasts are good for studying.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

JEES JLPT N5 listening comp practice. Listened to the whole thing. I have a crush on the lady announcer’s voice (if it’s possible to get a crush on a voice). So clear… lovely pace to it for a beginner, it’s just a lovely voice to listen to.

If I close my eyes, I can hear her.
男の人と女の人が話しています…
何々。
二人はそれから何をしましか。

JLPT Lady, you’d understand my Japanese. :two_hearts:

12 Likes

Today’s listening: 団地への招待, a 1960 public information film about the then-new public housing apartment blocks. Interesting mix of “look at all the new facilities and conveniences” and “watch out for mould and don’t give yourself carbon monoxide poisoning from the gas heater” messaging. I found the gas-fired bath water heater particularly alarming personally…

(If you’ve seen the Whisper of the Heart anime, this is the kind of apartment Shizuku lives in, I think.)

15 Likes

Oct 22, Sat of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today I listened to 2 episodes of Nihongo SWiTCH.

HUNTER x HUNTER is continued by 1 episode daily, as usual.

I also watched several things on YouTube.

14 Likes

October 22 :film_strip:

Finished the rest of Oni. I liked it a lot, although I felt the storytelling was more American than Japanese in its structure. I watched with English subtitles because I had company, and it didn’t work out as well as it did with Haunting of Hill House, not sure why. I did catch quite a lot, just not so much.

On the pitch accent front, I never reached my 17/20 high score again in Migaku. I’m getting increasingly frustrated, yet keep going back and retrying. One of these days…

14 Likes

Main post

On October the 22nd I’ve listened to:

• Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 656-658.
13 Likes

:sound: 10月22日
YUYUの日本語Podcast ― Vol.06 カルチャーショック

Not much to add kind of day c:

13 Likes

Lately I’ve decided I need to start doing intensive focused listening, instead of just listening to get the gist of things, but that takes more time so I haven’t been doing it every day.

But lately, I’ve been having a lot of conversations, so that’s been counting as my listening practice. I’ve made a lot of embarrassing mistakes as well, but c’est la vie. (starts sweating as I remember accidentally using うま to call the smell of shit delicious, instead of saying 牛… although in hindsight maybe they interpreted it as horse, which is not as bad. Suddenly I feel better. Either way, a failure to communicate lol)

12 Likes

Pimsleur 2 lesson 9

Played a couple hours worth of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Full game trial on Nintendo Switch online until Oct 27. Turns out this game has a lot of Japanese Audio. It seems like a fun metroid-vania type game but maybe it spends too much time on action grinding for my tastes right now.

11 Likes

October 23 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

I (re)watched 千と千尋の神隠し (Spirited Away) today. As good as ever. Most of what is spoken was short and simple, but I got lost whenever there was more than one phrase in quick succession.

On the pitch accent front, don’t tell anyone :shushing_face: , but I cheated :see_no_evil: .There’s really no kind of instructions accompanying this pitch accent trainer, so I didn’t know if there were more lessons after this one or not and I desperately needed to know before my subscription ran out. So I used yomichan to double-check the pitch accent of a few words I had difficulty with, and that was enough for me to complete the test. And it appears there are no more lessons. The “level” has to do with how many cards you complete in training, and not with the lessons at all. So then I did a lot of training, which is (so far?) single words only, and I did consistently quite well. I’m already level 11, and I intend to keep going, because this is way more fun now that the frustration is out of the way. Phew.

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 23rd I’ve listened to:

• Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 659-663.
12 Likes

Today’s listening: an episode from NHK 高校講座 日本史. NHK have a lot of their for-high-school-students educational stuff online, and a few years back I watched about halfway through their Japanese history course. Now seemed like a good time to resume that…

14 Likes

Oct 23, Sun of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo SWiTCH.

Also, several other Podbean channels. I guess the deciding factor is… the voicing. Topics do matter as well. Otherwise, trial version and ease of getting transcript. (Many creators just forgot to make URL a hyperlink; otherwise, how direct is the hyperlink?) In any case, I have my second choice now.

I found them now, and in an easily seen place. I looked before in other specific places where they don’t exist.

I watched Death Note Ep.16 with JP sub to accompany the reading club. Also set up MPC player more appropriately to prioritize JP dub and sub, as well as automatically pick up external subtitles in a folder.

HUNTER x HUNTER is continued by 2 episodes. The latter episode is to test whisper.cpp of medium model.

• Opinion? Probably accurate and no bad segment so far, but timing is quite messed up. Often, text can be seen 10 seconds or so, in advance.
    • Much better than small model in any case, at least about the bad segment thing. Anyway, its quality was at least relatively good.
    • SubtitleEdit’s vosk isn’t very accurate.
  • It might add some values for vocabulary learning, but far from qualified subtitles.
12 Likes

Intensively listened to 4 audio clips from my Japanese reading comprehension book. The difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, a lot more informal Japanese is used compared to the N5 practice. It really kicked my backside. Though come to think of it when I read the text I didn’t fully understand it either.

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 22nd:

I woke up yesterday absolutely EXHAUSTED. I listened to more Satori Reader, which is a little unusual for me since I don’t tend to use it on the weekend, but I was afraid I wouldn’t get any other decent practice in. I was kind of right about that: later on I watched an episode of SPY x FAMILY and Ranking of Kings, but I pretty much just followed the English subtitles. Feeling a little more rested today, at least.

12 Likes

October 23rd!

Another day of traveling today! I listened to Japanese music in the car and then an episode of Nihongo con Teppei once I got home.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

October 23rd:

Started on my translation homework for the week. This time it’s subtitle work, which means it also doubled as listening practice. :grin: The clip is an interview between Makoto Fujimura (an artist) and Kunio Nakamura, who practices the art of kintsugi (金継ぎ). It’s when a broken item (usually some kind of dishware) is repaired with gold. The repair work itself becomes a part of the item’s design. It’s pretty cool, and I love both the appreciation for items that are still perfectly usable and the sustainability that this art form inevitably promotes.

12 Likes

Pimsleurs 2 lessons 9(replay) and 10 today.

I’d really like to try this. I got a kit and everything. At this point, I’ve probably procrastinated that project for a year :slightly_frowning_face: It isn’t a fast process and requires lots of downtime between steps. Is what I keep telling myself before I ever start. Wasn’t my idea to get the kit though. My potter neighbor gifted it to me after I mentioned it once.

11 Likes