📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Oct 14, Fri of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Spice and Wolf 15% => 17%
  • Death Note Vol.4 Ch.34 (Last chapter of Vol.4)

I haven’t finished Spice and Wolf Ch.1, and I have yet to read what the book club has to discuss (especially for the first half of the chapter).

27 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 14 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Unexpectedly I’m having time to read, but not time to do lessons on WK (mostly because I wouldn’t be able to do the reviews properly for them).

Another chapter done for Orange. Two more and I’m caught up to the book club that is having a break next week. So yay, I got two volumes behind, but I’ll be caught up before we start volume 4, so that is something. :smiley:

28 Likes

Main Post

On October the 14th I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
26 Likes

14 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 31-32)

25 Likes

October 1 - October 14

Only two weeks in and I only read something on a little over half the days, yikes :joy:
I’m… just gonna pretend I was only gonna do the ‘every day’ thing for the listening challenge anyway. Have managed that every day at least :tada:

Quick recap:

:open_book: 十角館の殺人‎‎‎⠀ ⠀⠀⠀~84% - end
:open_book: カラフル⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀35% - 68%
:open_book: 裏世界ピクニック ⠀~7% - 10%
:video_game: ルーパーズ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀Week 2+3

Now that 十角館の殺人 is finished I’d like to catch up to Loopers/The VN book club next. Should be doable in time I think. :thinking: Though I’m super behind and there are only like four weeks left (:sob:) so even if I manage that I won’t actually get to read along with everyone else for very long :joy: Oh well. I’m also pretty curious what the next pick is going to be :eyes:

Eep, I bookmarked this and then forgot to reply anyway D:
Well, bit late but… raises hand
Depending on what the issue is I’m not confident I’d be of any help, but am happy to try :joy:

25 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 14 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (45% → 47%)

I did a read :3 And yay, finally weekend :eyes:

27 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 14 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Short on time today, so I just read the final part (part 6) of ジャックと豆の木. Jack went down the beanstalk, his mother cut down the beanstalk, and the giant died. Bit of an anti-climactic ending, if I do say so myself.

24 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 14th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Read よつばと!Ch 44. いいタイミングね I get sick right as we get to a chapter where よつば gets sick :mask:

Some good words. I tried to slow down my reading and really focus on grammar today, see if I could tease apart some more complex structures. I marked a few panels here as good sentence mining cards, but my plan is to wait to make anki cards until after I finish going through the series. Then I can come back through my reading logs and add the words/grammar things that still seem relevant.

Got some dinner and came back to read another chapter (45) as well. 日渡ちゃん is a flawless character. No notes. I was laughing hard enough at points in this chapter that I started coughing and had to take a break from reading to catch my breath.

Good Words

牧場「ぼくじょう」ー livestock farm
昼寝「ひるね」ー afternoon nap
冷えピタ「ひえぴた」ー cooling pack applied to forehead for fevers
南極「なんきょく」ー south pole (i like that kanji, funky lil guy)
タン塩 「たんしお」ー salty beef tongue (i think it’s usually a 焼肉 thing?)
「うめぼしはみんな食べたらすごいかおになるからこわい」ー more conditionals in the wild!

あだ名「あだな」ー nickname
抱き合う「だきあう」ー to embrace each other
任せる「まかせる」ー to entrust to, to leave to (another one i’ve heard a lot but i don’t think i’ve seen kanji)
砂糖「さとう」ー sugar
割れる「われる」ー to break, to split (eg. an egg)
判明「はんめい」ー establishing, proving (gonna need more examples on this usage, kinda fuzzy)
泡立てる「あわだてる」ー to beat, to whip (eg. eggs)
創作「そうさく」ー creative work, production
出来立て「できたて」ー freshly made (noun)

25 Likes

October 14th!

I had to travel straight after work today as I’m attending a wedding tomorrow morning so I read after midnight, but I’m still considering this to be “today” :stuck_out_tongue:

I read chapter 26 of Happiness - it was a particularly enjoyable chapter this week.

(Home Post)

25 Likes

Played the first Pheonix Wright game (had the collection forever) and finally thought “Screw it, lets try.” And OH boy, that first trial got me. I love how naturally everything flowed even when I messed up it was fun. I felt like it was a good check on my grammar abilities, so when I got things write it was because I genuinely understood what was being asked. I also love the puns with characters names! Naruhodo and Yahari. T0T Found my thing to be into for the next week. YAY!

25 Likes

:house:
Oct 15

かがみの孤城 55 → 57% (page 204)

Read eight pages today! I think this is the most pages of かがみの孤城 I’ve read in a single sitting so far, and it only took me about 40 minutes.

27 Likes

October 14 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Started volume 4 of ブルーロック, good times as always! Some very interesting characters and dynamics :eyes: I really do love the art in it, it gets so dramatic sometimes, very much up my alley :joy:

26 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 14

おじさまと(ねこ)8
start - 34

I grow increasingly frustrated with this series. I can’t wait to be done. The first chapter ends on a cliff-hanger of MC being in an accident and his daughter getting hysterical about it only for the beginning of the next chapter to pretty much retcon it in about 2-3 pages. Don’t play off major events like that. It’s such poor writing. The only thing I can think of it being passed off as is characterization of the new character from the end of the last volume. However, we were introduced to her and her personality for the whole chapter. We got just about everything including why she hasn’t appeared sooner and what her relationship with the MC is like.

I know I’ve said I didn’t like that this series expanded from cats to cats and music but now it’s not feeling like either. It’s feeling like telenovela people drama. If I had any interest in telenova people drama, I would watch it.

just 130 pages of this to go… then I’ll be free…

28 Likes

Home post

Day 13:

Priority: :rocket: ミニスカ宇宙海賊 1. Finally off on the field trip in the (outer space) sky.
Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人. It didn’t take long for the plan to go south.
Extra: :test_tube: 聖女の魔力は万能です. Another potential love interest? Also, I don’t really care, but the basic premise of this book doesn’t make much sense to me…

27 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 14th:
:red_square: 魔女の宅急便 (11% → 12%)

Just a few pages of Kiki today. Not much else to say.

28 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 13

Some 狼と香辛料 (40% → 43%).

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 14

No time so although I read some 狼と香辛料 it wasn’t even 1%.

28 Likes

Oct 15, Sat of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Spice and Wolf 17% => 20% (Finished Ch.1)
  • かがみの孤城 (上) 5% => 7%

かがみの孤城 is quite an easy read, although I also looked up vocabularies here-and-there; but the length might be a little concerning… but not really – there are only two volumes, with accompanying audiobook (bought separately from audiobook.jp). My listening isn’t on par (or perhaps mainly comprehension speed, and joining the sentences together), so my listening-understanding was too questionable. Though, I might have to read for a few days before feeling its real difficulty.

狼と香辛料 (Wolf and Spice) is quite different. I don’t understand some grammar / structures, and it can be quite tiring to read. I probably shouldn’t start from ABC. Also, there are like 24 volumes of Wolf and Spice. I want to read something also with an aim of completing the series.

Bookwalker highlight is limited to 50 highlight’s, so that’s the limit of number of vocabularies I can take without immediate proper lookup or switching apps. So, today, I cleared older highlights before reading today’s section.

27 Likes

You can get off the bus after volume 17 if you like, though :-). That’s where the main series stopped originally; it only restarted after a five year gap with the newer books having the ‘Spring Log’ subtitle.

I’m never quite sure how I feel about the series – obviously I liked it enough to keep reading all of it, but on the other hand any particular book seems to have a bit in the middle that I have to push myself to keep reading, and I don’t usually feel like I want to read another immediately after finishing one volume. I’ve only read 2 of the Spring Log series, and none of the Wolf & Parchment spinoff series.

19 Likes

15/10 read 6 pages Tugumi, orange to end of letter 11 (7 pages), skimmed 3 pages Spy Family, skimmed 5 pages 耳をすませば

Would have managed more but I did manage to go diving today with the help of a load of decongestants!

Whale sharks from the other day as promised

Not my picture, my files are a bit big, but a friends picture of me.

30 Likes

Waaa :scream: :scream: :scream:

That buddy is about to suck you right in, no? :cold_sweat: How did you escape?

17 Likes