📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Was looking forward to finishing コンビニ人間 this week, but it’s been very hard to read more than a sentence a day since I got very sick earlier this week.

With how much is still left and considering how much I can probably handle I have to abandon that idea. I’ll see how far I can get.

18 Likes

Oh no! :scream: Get better soon! :sneezing_face: :face_with_thermometer:

Just give yourself some proper rest, and soon you will finish the book in no time. :+1:

14 Likes

December 30th

:snowflake: :evergreen_tree:Home post:evergreen_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 4 – progress report

Yesterday: Finished chapter 16, continued up to page 131.
Today: Finished chapter 17, continued up to page 176.

Almost done with the volume; in fact I stopped before the last dozen of pages on purpose to give myself an easy time finishing it tomorrow. :wink:

Word or expression of the day:
抜け道 - (ぬけみち) - bypath; secret path; way of escape; loophole; excuse

Honourable mention(s):
拝見 (+する) - (はいけん) - seeing, looking at
蛍 - (ほたる) - firefly

18 Likes

Dec 30, Fri of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Death Note Vol.6 Ch.45

I find it hard to read through each chapters of this series recently, more like in 2 goes.

Interesting words
  • さといも = taro. Kanji from is 里芋(さといも), which is a potato-like.
  • バラす(.) = to expose a secret. Compare, バレる.
  • ほのめかす = to hint at. Kanji form is (ほの)めかす, so I think of (ほの)か (faint; dim; slight).
  • (あらが)う = to go against
  • 特撮(とくさつ) = special effects. Also appears to be a live-action genre.
  • 才気(さいき) = wit; wisdom
  • 謝罪(しゃざい) = apology. I was thinking to much of the unrelated 射殺(しゃさつ).
  • 保障(ほしょう) = guarantee, but focusing more on protection from circumstances. Compare 保証(ほしょう).
  • 恒例(こうれい) = established customs
  • 独自(どくじ) = peculiar
  • 発覚(はっかく) = disclosure; coming to light
  • 色仕掛(いろじか)け = using of seductive techniques
  • 愛妻弁当(あいさいべんとう) = a lunchbox made with loving care by one’s wife. From 愛妻(あいさい).
  • 一目瞭然(いちもくりょうぜん) = very obvious
  • 時期尚早(じきしょうそう) = premature. 尚早(しょうそう) is also premature.
  • 家宅捜索(かたくそうさく) = house search (by the police)
  • ()(あん)じる = to be worried for
14 Likes

30/12 9 pages 夜カフェ, 24 pages Orange

Nearly caught up with 夜カフェ but not quite, and haven’t read the IBC this week. But from tomorrow I have 5 book clubs for now, and I’m ahead in all the manga. I have flights ahead of me on 6th then 9th so should get more reading in.

17 Likes

Home post :bookmark: // :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: Dec 30 :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

・ 本好きの下克上 15 (70% → 100%)

Guess what, I finished a whole Honzuki book in four days :tada: Couldn’t have picked a better book to nyoom through as a Honzuki speed read challenge. I was so entertained, I can’t help but want more :'D Good news is that there are 15 more volumes waiting for me :eyes: :sparkles:

I feel a bit bad for not gushing more but if I were to mention all the moments I liked, I’d be stuck here until next year for a while :sweat_smile:

On another note, it feels absurd how I’ve reached one of the goals I mentioned in the Summer '21 challenge:

I can’t believe it :face_holding_back_tears: This must be a dream or something

21 Likes

I started reading 半落ち and oh my gosh, I’m feeling drained. I’m reading it in paperback and doing a very close read (I’m striving to understand every sentence as perfectly as I can to sharpen my grammar skills). I’m worried about falling behind the club due to this hence the slight early start. I’m not even halfway through the first reading and I’ve already taken so many notes. An ebook would have been much easier…

The writing is lovely, though, and taking the time to make sure I understand everything has me savoring it more.

Also I bought this the other day and omg I love it. As I get deeper into paperbacks it can be a pain to hold them open when copying out sentences. This helps so much (my hand gets so tired!) and since it’s real wood it smells soooo good. I saw other vendors had pretty ones made of resin and whatnot, but I’m glad I chose wood.

Pic from vendor page for people who don't want to click link

18 Likes

December 30th!

Today I read chapter 37 of Happiness, and then a few pages of the final chapter of Orange Volume 5.
I decided I was a kind of tired for reading Orange, and I want to be able to fully appreciate it since its the final chapter of the main story so I stopped and decided to finish it tomorrow instead :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

18 Likes

December 30 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Yay BU$TAFELLOWS day! :tada: Started the new chapter and I’m still enjoying it a lot, I’m very fond of the characters already which probably doesn’t bode well for my emotions as we get deeper into plot things but that’s a later problem :joy: I accidentally quick saved several times because quick save is the minus button, which is the log button in 13 Sentinels :sweat_smile: I see this happening lots in my future lmao, I don’t remember what Y does in 13 Sentinels but hopefully nothing game-wrecking! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! Another rave review to add to the list haha, I’m very excited to get further into it :eyes:

Woah that’s awesome, these threads really work huh :')

19 Likes

:phone: Home :broken_heart:

December 30

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険61
101 - end (184)

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険62
Start - 83

I tried to be good to myself today and read a lot last night. 62 is the last manga volume I need to read to make my 50 vols in a year goal! 62 is a bit longer than a typical volume though and it’s about 220 pages instead of the usual 180-190. I’ve got a lot to read today! Later!

18 Likes

Home Post

Day 51 Progress:
お隣の天使様 五冊 - 26.19 → 37.48%

Just a quick little post before I rush to bed. Almost skipped out but it would suck to drop out near the very end of the thread.

Word of the Day: おおむね - generally, roughly, main idea. Always funny when I see too words represented with completely different kanji (大) and (旨) fused into one word with a separate kanji. Really makes the quirks of Japanese language evolution clear.

18 Likes

December 31st

:snowflake: :evergreen_tree:Home post:evergreen_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 4 – progress report

Yesterday: Finished chapter 17, continued up to page 176.
Today: Finished volume 4. :tada:

Aand done!
This officially marks the end of my late autumn/winter challenge. I didn’t have everything ready to join back in October, so my challenge lasted from November 1st to the December 31st instead.

Word or expression of the day:
実家 - (じっか) - (one’s parent’s) home

Small recap of my first read-every-day-challenge:

I’m pleasantly surprised that I managed to read around 8 manga volumes (I count the Aria: the masterpiece volumes as two volumes each) within 2 months. This is especially kind of astonishing because I had never read a full book/manga before. Years ago, I attempted reading a manga once but didn’t make it far because I got fed up with my lack of (Kanji) knowledge and I couldn’t find the motivation to push through – on the contrary, I was very disheartened and beat myself up over it.

Frankly, I think that my fate this time would have been similar – I may have tried reading Aria, put it on hiatus after struggling and opted for NHK easy articles or something instead – if it weren’t for this challenge and the corresponding book club pages.

With this challenge, I was capable of sticking to reading every day and see others thrive (and struggle) which gave me more incentive to continue reading despite struggling quite a bit. I noticed that my reading speed became a little bit faster too and I hope that it will steadily improve over time. Who knows, I may have a similar realisation and improvement like @Redglare in a year or so. By the way, @Redglare I’m happy to hear that you managed to achieve your goal. :smiley:

One thing became clear, though: I need to focus more on grammar for now. While I tend to understand the gist in general, there is still so much that flies under my radar which hinders my understanding of dialogue and other explanations. So, for the next reading challenge, I will dedicate less time for reading and thus make slower progress but I thanks to this, I will have more time to revise (and learn new) grammar.

Thanks again, @windupbird for hosting this challenge and the following one – see (almost all of) you in the next reading challenge next year! Soo, literally later today/tomorrow :wink:

23 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 30 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Novel in English :books:

I didn’t read in Japanese yesterday, at least not any I would count. It is so weird to me that random sentences I might have read doesn’t even blip on my radar anymore. A happy thing for sure.

Mostly I’m making this post so I could reply to a couple of people. Also to motivate myself to find some time for Bustafellows reading today, otherwise I’ll just fall further and further behind. :sweat_smile:

:tada: :tada: :tada:

Congratulations, @Redglare! Practice makes perfect better, as they say (or as they should say, perfection, bah!) Your effort matters. I hope you’re proud of yourself. :smiley:

@pocketcat That is a cool book thingymajing! (Is there an official spelling for that word? My spellchecker couldn’t guess what I tried to type. xD)

@Midnightblue Sounds like you had a good challenge! I’m happy for you. :blush:

The challenges really do make a different. When I started reading Orange in July, so after my first challenge (technically second but I had a 6 month break between first and second challenges and for my real first I think I only kept up with reading for a month, and only every other day so… I’m not counting it much), I couldn’t read one chapter in one go. Maybe about half of it. I didn’t have the stamina, and I also had to do a lot more look ups. As I finished volume 5 a week or so ago, I easily read a whole chapter in one go. In fact I read the second to last and last chapter back to back (except for a quick forum posting break xD), and the last chapter was the longest chapter so far.

So yeah, so much more stamina now. And I recognize so many more grammar structures without even thinking about them. So yeah, these challenges are great. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Dec 31, Sat of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• はたらく細胞 Black Vol.1 Ch.1

Although I like the original series, I don’t want to be too ahead of the club. (Though, I might change my mind later.)

Also, this spin-off was recommended to me a long while ago. (Too many other spin-offs, in fact.)

I think I saw this before somewhere...

In some year number? Some ads?

• うたわれるもの
Interesting words
  • めんこい = adorable
  • へちゃむくれ(.) = unattractive looking; weak looking person
  • おろそか = negligent. Kanji form is (おろそ)か.
  • (かたど)る = to represent; to model after
  • (おちい)る = to fall into (e.g. a trap)
  • ()()る = to sail through a storm
  • ()()に = day by day
  • 過度(かど) = excessive
  • 怒声(どせい) = angry voice. Similar to 怒鳴(どな)り.
  • 指揮(しき) = commanding
  • 強靭(きょうじん) = sturdy; tough. This one has Furigana.
  • 掃除(そうじ) = sweeping. Just confused because the last Kanji is usually read じょ as in 排除(はいじょ).
  • 虚無(きょむ) = nothingness
  • 酸味(さんみ) = acidic taste. Some counterparts, 甘味(かんみ) (sweet), 辛味(からみ) (spicy).
  • 香草(こうそう) = fragrant grass
  • 発酵(はっこう) = fermentation
  • 遊牧(ゆうぼく) = nomadism
  • 燻製(くんせい) = food smoking
  • 定番(ていばん) = standard item
  • 箸休(はしやす)め = intermezzo; dish served between courses
  • 端麗(たんれい) = fine-looking
  • 面立(おもだ)ち = facial features = 顔立(かおだ)
  • 破顔(はがん) = giving a broad smile
  • 祖国(そこく) = native country
  • 人波(ひとなみ) = wave of people; stampede. Sound alike of 人並(ひとな)み.
  • 精巧(せいこう) = exquisite
  • 道順(みちじゅん) = route
  • 経由(けいゆ) = going through
  • 下行大動脈(かこうだいどうみゃく) = ascending aorta. First two Kanji are descending, and the latter three are aorta. I confuse it with 不行 in 不行跡(ふぎょうせき), which also has another meaning in Chinese.
  • 新米(しんまい) = newbie / first rice crop of the year. Probably similar to 新人(しんじん) or 新入(しんい)り.
  • 淋菌(りんきん) = gonococcus. First Kanji, other than crying loneliness ((さび)しい), it can also mean lymph, and then a Kanji substitution for Gonorrhea ((リン)).
  • 豪快(ごうかい) = magnificent; glorious
  • 悪玉(あくだま) = villain. In context as 悪玉コレステロール (LDL), and then I found 超悪玉コレステロール (sd LDL), which I don’t know much about.
  • 抗酸化(こうさんか) = antioxidant
  • 解毒(げどく) = detox
  • 毒物(どくぶつ) = poisonous substance
  • 摂取(せっしゅ) = intake
  • 吸収(きゅうしゅう) = absorption
  • 検出(けんしゅつ) = detection
  • 受容体(じゅようたい) = receptor
  • 休息(きゅうそく) = relaxation
  • 大輪(たいりん)(はな) = large blooming flower. Doesn’t appear to have to be a ring.
  • ()する = to mock
  • (ひよこ) = young chick. Doesn’t have Furigana in context.
  • 好々爺(こうこうや) = good-natured old man. No Furigana. Unexpected 々, so I take a little lookup – https://www.pouchs.jp/hAGYb
  • 翻弄(ほんろう) = having at one’s mercy. Has Furigana.
  • 和気藹々(わきあいあい) = congenial and happy. Although not the first time to see this word, it’s probably the first time to see the third Kanji. Has Furigana.
  • 不法投棄(ふほうとうき) = unlawful dumping
  • 格式張(かくしきば)る = to adhere to formalities
  • 目尻(めじり)()げる = to look pleased

SFX

• シュワシュワ = sound of carbonated drinks, souffle
  • びっしり = packed tightly
  • もぞもぞ = squirming; restless
  • ほくほく = beaming happily
  • ずんぐり = short and stout (i.e. short fat girl)
  • つべこべ = complaining, e.g. つべこべ()
15 Likes

Only did a tiny bit of reading yesterday and today, but it still counts. :grin:
And this concludes the reading updates for this year. See you all in the Winter thread, and have a Happy New Year!

17 Likes

Thingamajig is accepted by my spellchecker, but I’ve abused its dictionary over the years so who knows :joy: I didn’t even know these things existed and when I saw it (looking for something else entirely) I was :exploding_head: at how useful it looked. I bought one for my mom and sister as well :joy:

Wooo congrats! :tada:

9 Likes

My spellchecker seems to suggest this is the right spelling. I really wasn’t far off. So why couldn’t it figure out the word I was going for? :joy:

Usually in these situations I google it because google is usually pretty good at figuring out what word I’m going for. But I didn’t feel like it. I had a feeling I was very little off so people would understand anyway. xD

6 Likes

Home

Yesterday’s update:

I was already a few pages into ch 1 of Stage of the Ground, but I decided to start the chapter afresh. I probably coulda started from the beginning of the prologue, but eh. Anyway, I read 8 pages, leaving off on pg 25.

The main character Yukito and his best—and it seems only—friend Suguru will call each other 親友 (Suguru) and 相棒 (Yukito) (and always in response to each other), which I find endearing. There’s one more guy who’s a main character whom we haven’t met yet, so since Suguru’s his only friend, I’m gonna go ahead and guess that Yukito and this other guy won’t particularly get along at first before they eventually become friends. Or maybe it’s just that I like a good enemies/rivals-to-friends(-to-lovers too for that matter, though I definitely don’t expect that to happen here) when done well, so that’s what I’m hoping for lol

Some vocab of note:

底抜け (そこぬけ) [な-adj.] unbounded (good nature, optimism, etc.); boundless; extreme; uninhibited. A lot of ~抜け words lately lol I just recently did the lessons for 腰抜け and 間抜け on WK.
ベッドタウン [noun] commuter town; bedroom community; dormitory town
我が意を得る (わがいをえる) [expression, 一] to approve of

14 Likes

Today I read 50 pages and finished the first manga volume of 化物語. Yeah the manga is pretty hard at least compared to all the other manga I read.

2022 was a terrible year I read only 8585 pages according to learn natively which is pretty disappointing. Of course not everything I read is on that site therefore you could add around 200 more pages but that is still far away from the 10000 pages I wanted to read. I only finished 2 books and the 3 Shin Kanzen Master Reading books for level N3-N1, 1 video game and 39 manga volumes . In 2023 I plan to go all out and read much more than that.

14 Likes

Home Post

Day 52 Progress:
お隣の天使様 五冊 - 37.48% → 46.90%

And that’ll be it from me for this thread! Actually got all the reading I wanted to do today out of the way early (despite not getting any sleep today), so I figured I would actually post at a reasonable time lmao.

Not too much to talk about here regarding the challenge itself, I basically used it as an extension of what my ongoing reading practice. Making these posts daily was a nice way to keep me honest though, especially on days where I wanted to just skip. It was fun enough and I’ll definitely keep continuing in the winter thread.

My reading speed has increased somewhat over the last couple of months but still nowhere near the progress I made at the beginning, which I suppose is only to be expected. I’m also getting hit with the realization that I need more genuine grammar practice, as someone who hasn’t even finished Genki I… sometimes I’ll be reading and my brain might passively understand a sentence but the second I go back to it and realize I never really understood the grammar being used, I just lose the thread. Being able to use context is great but sometimes I feel like I’m not actually gleaning any insights into grammar from what I read, so I definitely need to be more proactive about it if I want to make that next step.

Word of the Day: 牙城がじょう - stronghold or bastion. A castle with fangs is a great little mental image for the most closely protected of defensive points.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got! Happy new year, and see you guys in the winter challenge!

18 Likes