📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Dec 28, Wed of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• SPY x FAMILY Vol.4 Ch.23 + extras (end volume)

• うたわれるもの

Maniacal laughter here too. Very ominous.

Interesting words
  • さが = one’s nature. Kanji form is (さが), in written in Kanji in dictionary.
  • ハリボテ = something that looks good superficially. From 張りぼて, probably an overdone ()る.
  • しこたま(.) = a whole lot of
  • うんたらかんたら(.) = yada yada
  • アスレチック(.) = an outdoor adventure playground / athletic sports
  • しわがれる = to become hoarse. しわがれた(こえ) in context, but しわがれ(ごえ) in dictionary. Kanji form is (しわが)れる.
  • つんのめる = to fall forward. From ()く + のめる, where the latter means to fall forward (but not pulled with force?).
  • わざわざ = expressly. Kanji form is 態々(わざわざ).
  • ほんのり = slightly. (ほん)の is also slightly. I think of り as ().
  • ばっくれ(.) = feigning ignore. From バックレる / しらばくれる.
  • 由々(ゆゆ)しき = serious; grave. In context as 由々しき事態. Similar to 由々(ゆゆ)しい.
  • (おお)らか = composed; broad-minded / large quantity
  • (うるわ)しい = lovely
  • 不届(ふとど)き = rude; insolent
  • ()かす = to smoke (a cigarette). Probably ()う is OK too. (But not ()く.)
  • (さげす)む = to hold in contempt = 軽蔑(けいべつ)する
  • (あゆ)む = to walk on foot
  • 見逸(みそ)れる = to underestimate. In context as おみそれ.
  • ()きずる = to drag along. Full Kanji form is ()()る.
  • ()(はこ)ぶ = to carry along
  • (おそ)()る = to be astonished
  • (ぼう)~ = certain
  • 普遍(ふへん) = universal
  • 無難(ぶなん) = safe (e.g. of a choice); risk-free; passable
  • 相場(そうば) = reputation / speculation
  • 莫迦(ばか) = Baka. Of course similar to 馬鹿(ばか).
  • 庶民(しょみん) = commoner
  • 駄犬(だけん) = a dog with no pedigree; mongrel. Opposite is 名犬(めいけん).
    • A homophone is 打鍵(だけん) = keystrokes (of a keyboard)
  • 白髪(しらが) = white hair; gray hair
  • 子音(しいん) = consonants. Opposite is 母音(ぼいん), e.g. a, u, o.
    • A homophone is 死因(しいん).
  • 失血(しっけつ) = heavy blood loss; exsanguination
  • 秘訣(ひけつ) = secret trick
  • 秘話(ひわ) = secret story
  • 終結(しゅうけつ) = an end; a conclusion
  • 間食(かんしょく) = snacks
  • 保護(ほご) = taking to protection; taking to guardianship
  • 長官(ちょうかん) = director. A boss of officials. In contrast, 小官(しょうかん) simply means, humbly me.
  • 日柄(ひがら) = today’s condition (lucky? unlucky? auspicious?)
  • 儀式(ぎしき) = rites
  • 統率(とうそつ) = commanding
  • 瓦解(がかい) = collapsing. What to be resolved from bricks (煉瓦(れんが)).
  • 幼少(ようしょう) = infancy; childhood. In context is 幼少期(ようしょうき).
  • 適宜(てきぎ) = appropriate; discretionary
  • 拝謁(はいえつ) = having an audience with an emperor. Has Furigana.
  • 玉座(ぎょくざ) = throne
  • 樹立(じゅりつ) = establishment; founding
  • 妙齢(みょうれい) = young (woman). Kanji from 年齢(ねんれい).
  • 度外視(どがいし) = disregarding
  • 薄情者(はくじょうもの) = insensitive person. 薄情(はくじょう) is being insensitive.
  • 司令室(しれいしつ) = control room. 司令(しれい) = commander / giving commands.
  • 善後処置(ぜんごしょち) = remedial measures. 善後(ぜんご) = planning for a good future.
  • 全知全能(ぜんちぜんのう) = omniscience and omnipotence
  • ()もなく不可(ふか)もなし = neither good nor bad
  • ()気味(ぎみ) = butting in. Similar to ()()気味(ぎみ).
  • 造詣(ぞうけい)(ふか)い = profoundly knowledgeable. The second Kanji is from 初詣(はつもう)で, but it’s probably the first time I see On’yomi.

SFX

• どたんこ = probably a thud (a hard object falls down)
  • じんわり = steadily seeping out. じんわり温かい.
  • ギョッと = being startled
  • むんず = strongly; violently; with all one’s strength
  • しんなり = soft, tenderly. From しなやか.

Kanji

• (ケイ)
    • attain knowledge from a temple
    • ケイ
      • 造詣(ぞうけい),     参詣(さんけい)
    • Kun readings
      • 初詣(はつもう)で,     (もう)でる
18 Likes

December 28th

:snowflake: :evergreen_tree:Home post:evergreen_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 4 – progress report

Yesterday: Began reading volume 4, read up to page 26.
Today: Finished chapter 15, continued up to page 61.

Yesterday, I put the worst part of the chapter behind me, therefore today’s reading was much less unpleasant. I was completely blindsided by Shaolan mentioning that he has an older sister as I didn’t remember him having siblings at all. Though, I don’t think we ever get to see her in the manga, or at least I don’t remember seeing her in any way.

Word or expression of the day:
一人暮らし - (ひとりぐらし) - living by oneself, living alone

Honourable mention(s):
ヤシの実 - (やしのみ) - coconut

19 Likes

December 28 :heavy_check_mark: :ramen:

おいしいごはんが食べられますように, 38-71%

I went a little crazy today and couldn’t stop reading. :sweat_smile: Can you tell that I’m enjoying this book a lot?

18 Likes

I’m finally done with my 2023 reading :melting_face: Anything that won’t be finished til 2023 (ユージニア and anything I start now) will be popped into those page counts, so I’m calling it at 7382 pages.

That is…18 books? Not counting audiobooks. And 38 short stories. And 8 manga volumes (I don’t count the pages in manga since they’re so text sparse in comparison so mixing feels odd to me).

I now have 3 days to relax, read English books, maybe finish the ウテナ manga, maybe start おいしいごはん :palm_tree:

20 Likes

There, fixed that for you :laughing:

No, seriously. We are having a lot of fun over in its thread, you should really come and join us for the :popcorn: ! :grin:

8 Likes

Home post :bookmark: // :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: Dec 28 :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

・ 本好きの下克上 15 (18% → 33%)

Reading continues. Did some other stuff too today, mom taught me how to make homemade tomato sauce as a side dish for fried eggs, that was great.

21 Likes

28/12 24 pages かみさまがまちがえる, 24 pages Orange (finished letter 20), 1 page 夜カフェ

Finished one book - I’m now down to reading 5 books or manga actively (until I start the next volume of シャドーハウス).

I was hoping to catch up with all clubs by the end of the week but doesn’t look likely. We’ll see.

19 Likes

December 28th!

I read chapter 21 of Orange today. Only one chapter left of the main story now… I’m really keen to see what happens so I think I might end up reading it tomorrow instead of waiting until next week to read it with the bookclub… I haven’t quite decided yet!

(Home Post)

16 Likes

2022-12-29T01:14:00Z

I recently learnt this word on WaniKani and now I am seeing it in the wild. :grin:

Did you mean 2022? Sorry to be nitpicky but it confused me.

17 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 28th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

Good Words

NHK
書き初め「かきぞめ」ー first calligraphy of the year
オタリア ー south american sea lion
水族館「すいぞくかん」ー aquarium (I feel like i heard this a lot in 白い砂のアクアトープ, but don’t remember seeing kanji)
十二支「じゅうにし」ー 12 signs of the zodiac
卯「う」ー sign of the rabbit (zodiac)

ホリミヤ
鑑賞「かんしょう」ー appreciation
不可避「ふかひ」ー inescapable
謎「なぞ」ー riddle, puzzle, mystery
江戸「えど」ー edo (時代, 幕府, 城, etc)
騒ぎ「さわぎ」ー uproar, disturbance
恐怖「きょうふ」ー terror, horror, scare

So studious! a whole year ahead! :laughing: (but congrats, and with 3 whole days to spare! :partying_face:)

So much reading!! I think i saw this on a few lists in the top 5 thread, seems to be worth reading.
edit - I see there’s an informal book club going… maybe I try to join in next month, it sounds very up my alley

some new books have been purchased, ready and raring to go for the next challenge :saluting_face:

17 Likes

yep, 2022. melting emoji was used to indicate the state of my brain right now :upside_down_face:

I’m leaving it. Good job, time time-traveling me!

I’m also joining it late so feel free to jump in. I may start before the new year but I’m 100% taking an evening off to decompress from ‘challenge’ type stuff

11 Likes

Home

Jay Rubin’s Making Sense of Japanese (previously Gone Fishin’) arrived today, and it’s smaller than I thought. I thought it would be your usual textbook size, but it’s a Japanese-style “hardcover” book, just printed left to right rather than right to left, so it’s the same size as a regular manga, whatever page size that is. You could not tell that from the product image on Amazon at all. Anyways, I’m looking forward to starting that one.

I read a whole 58 pages of 明日をくれた君 today, finishing ch 4 and starting on ch 5, and leaving off on page 233. I’m gonna cry. I want to keep reading, I only have 34 pages left, but I have work tomorrow morning and also I’m tired, so I don’t wanna stay up 'til who knows when.

Oh man.

It’s ironic that Midzuki wants to be close to someone who doesn’t see her for who she is (Kaito), but then the two people who do, she either wants nothing to do with (Sugiura) or ends up driving away (Ritsu). Well, there’s Satou-kun, but he’s not physically in her life.

Midzuki might possibly be developing a crush on Sugiura-kun. They’d be cute tbh

Satou Yamato shows up at the school gates one day after school. Midzuki and Sugiura see him from the library window. Sugiura’s justifiably wary, but Midzuki doesn’t care and goes to see what he wants—if he is indeed there for her—but by the time he gets out there, he’s gone. Sure, his reasons for being there coulda been innocent, but… Especially with the suspiciousness before with him knowing her full name somehow despite them never having interacted and going to different schools… hm.

Satou-kun has her number somehow. He calls her cell phone at night a week later from a public phone. That’s not creepy at all, though of course she doesn’t think so. When she asks him how he knows her number, she just gets dial tone; either he hung up or his time was up, but either way she doesn’t find out. Yeah my estimation of him has gone down. Anyway, he said he would leave her one last letter.

……私は、佐藤くんが、好き。きっと、ずっと前から好きだった。

You like the wrong person.

Oh, yeah, that Satou Yamato is a creep. We run into him again when Midzuki’s waiting at the park by the station for Ritsu after club activities Sunday evening. He’s approached Ritsu and grabbed her arm when she tried to get away (“何で俺のこと拒むんだ? 俺はこんなに優しくしてるのに.” はい??), claiming to be her friend just because he talked to Midzuki once. Okay, and how does he know Ritsu too? ストーカーか? Seems like my and Sugiura-kun’s bad feeling about him when he showed up at the school gates was absolutely right.

Hm… Ritsu remembers him now, vaguely. Like with Midzuki, he approached her once on the train when she was unwell to ask if she was all right. Still, for him to hound her and grab her when he sees her out and about—alone—and act all familiar just because he talked to and “was nice to her” once… that’s creepy. That’s alarm bells, right there. That’s the difference between a “nice guy” and a nice person.

Annnd, he knows Ritsu has a boyfriend. And we still don’t know how he knows either of their names. He said he won’t appear in front of them again, but I don’t trust like that.

We get the first letter that’s not between Midzuki and Satou-kun: an apology letter (wherein she also confesses that she likes sweets-making and embroidery and the like) which she gives to Ritsu after Satou Yamato leaves. She said and did some things that she regretted recently, and she wanted to write a letter since she wasn’t sure she could apologize properly face-to-face. Ritsu has some things she wants to apologize for too, and she forgives her easily and they make up.

美月って意外に隠すの下手だよね? 美月が可愛いものが好きなんて、最初に話しかけてくれたときからわかってたよ?

We saw that before, too, when Ritsu, knowing Midzuki’s decorative strap (which she has too in a different color to match) broke recently, invites her out shopping for a new one. One of the things Midzuki regrets saying is accusing her of just choosing something she herself likes, but Ritsu chose the straps knowing they’re the kind of thing Midzuki likes. Her childhood friend may think cute things don’t suit her, but her best friend has known from the beginning that she likes cute things and has never once thought it odd.

Ritsu describes Satou-kun as Midzuki’s savior when she tells her about him, and I’m inclined to believe that Midzuki’s "好き"という気持ち toward him are just those toward a savior. Of course, I don’t know how much of that is just me wanting Midzuki/Sugiura to happen. I went into this ready for Midzuki to slowly develop feelings for Satou-kun over the course of their exchanges and then they’d meet and it’d continue from there. But then Sugiura showed up. And the chances that Satou-kun is him under an alias are nil.

Oh my god

「早く昼寝して教室戻りなよ」

「……じゃあ、寝かせろよ」

「え?」

床にお尻をつけて座っていた杉浦くんが動いたと思ったら、突然私の左肩にもたれかかってきた。あまりの近距離に、心臓がはち切れそうなほど膨らみ、顔はゆでだこのように沸騰する。

If Kozakura-sensei ends this pretending like these two aren’t love interests, I’m gonna be so mad.

He has long eyelashes and she notices this—is captivated by them, in fact. I am losing my entire goddamn mind.

Ohhhh… noooo… no, I’m gonna cry. Ch 5 hits you with the feels right off the bat, with our longest letter yet. They saved each other, at least as much as they could be saved. And now we know why Sugiura was involved when he didn’t seem related from a story standpoint. And just how Satou-kun contacted her. 早く読み終わりたい!

I figured out what I needed to do in 逆転裁判 today—talk to Itonokogiri-keiji about Mayoi’s phone. I played through the end of the second day before deciding I needed a break. Dang, this case is long. Also, I did not realize DL6 came up so early. Is that one gonna be the next one? Reiji… Anyway, Reiji/Miles is my favorite character (yes, I do have a type), so I can’t wait 'til we get some character development for him. Even if it does involve a heartbreaking backstory…

Some vocab of note:

素っ気ない (そっけない) [い-adj.] cold; short; curt; blunt
癪に障る (しゃくにさわる) [expression, ラ五] to irritate; to grate on one’s nerves; to aggravate; to be galling
引き立て役 (ひきたてやく) [noun] person who makes someone else appear better; foil
健気 (けなげ) [noun, な-adj.] brave; courageous; heroic; noble; admirable; commendable; praiseworthy; laudable
踵を返す (きびすをかえす) [expression, サ五] to turn on one’s heel; to turn back; to return
釘付け (くぎづけ) [expression, noun, する verb] being stationary; being rooted to the spot; halting; freezing. From the literal meaning of “nailing down.”
間髪容れず (かんはついれず) [expression] immediately; instantly; with nary a pause; without a moment’s delay. Shirabe says that the first part is usually read かんはつ with かんぱつ being irregular, though when it’s a word on its own, the latter is the usual reading, although it also says that 間髪 by itself is an abbreviation of this expression. Goo supports this by listing the reading as かんはつ and saying that かんぱつ is an error (though it doesn’t have an entry for 間髪 on its own). Yet I had to type かんぱつ to get it because the IME wouldn’t accept かんはつ at all. So what do I believe?
噤む (つぐむ) [他マ五] to shut one’s mouth; to hold one’s tongue; to keep silent. I like that you can tell exactly what it means just by looking at it: 口を禁
動かぬ証拠 (うごかぬしょうこ) [expression, noun] irrefutable evidence; smoking gun; solid evidence; incontestable proof; dead giveaway
口走る (くちばしる) [他ラ五] to blurt out; to let slip; to say inadvertently; to come out with (e.g. nonsense). Not quite the same as running one’s mouth in English.
ホの字 [expression, noun] the L-word; being in love. From 惚れる (ほれる), “to fall in love.”
人聞きが悪い (ひとぎきがわるい) [expression, い-adj.] disreputable; scandalous; disgraceful

16 Likes

:phone: Home :wine_glass:

December 28

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険60
82 - end (187)

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険61
Start - 15

Ahhhh, still have to finish 61 and 62 to reach my goal! For reasons, I’m reading 61 on kindle. I hate reading it digitally but the colors are kinda nice.

17 Likes

December 28 :maple_leaf: Home Post

I didn’t get better today lmao, I got distracted doing a bunch of other stuff and just read a little bit of 山猫, nothing too substantial :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

Home Post

Day 49 Progress:
お隣の天使様 五冊 - 10.35% → 18.92%

I think I might start reading something else again, maybe move focus from お隣の天使様 entirely this time. Genuinely feeling pretty allergic to reading given how unpleasant of an experience this is becoming. Maybe I’ll go back to the ぼっち・ざ・ろっく! manga. Wonder if a volume a day could be feasible if I really worked on it?

Word of the Day: 水臭みずくさい - stand-offish, distant. Stinking of water doesn’t seem to convey much of a smell, but maybe you can’t smell anything because they’re so distant, so this word is more fitting than you’d think at first?

20 Likes

December 29th

:snowflake: :evergreen_tree:Home post:evergreen_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 4 – progress report

Yesterday: Finished chapter 15, continued up to page 61.
Today: Finished chapter 16, continued up to page 131.

Quite satisfied with today’s progress. :slightly_smiling_face:

Poor Sakura though, not being able to sleep after the spooky story about the test of courage and having to go inside the spooky cave the next day where everything starts getting out of hand with everyone disappearing must have been heart attack inducing for her. :hushed:
It was nice seeing her an Shaolan bond a little bit after he had been very standoffish towards her from the start – he’s also starting to develop feelings for her, getting all flustered. Meanwhile, I’m just sitting here feeling relief because I don’t have to deal with any primary school children having (puppy) crushes and teasing each other relentlessly for having crushes anymore; I don’t envy him one bit. :sweat_smile:

Word or expression of the day:
しょうがない - it is what it is, it can’t be helped, nothing can be done

Honourable mention(s):
洞窟 - (どうくつ) - cavern, cave

18 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 29th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Trying to do some set-up work for the start of the next challenge. I’d like to time track my study time at least for January, just so I can get a more reasonable estimate of what my study load is like atm (for both grad school things and also for japanese). I can never manage to keep it up long term, but it would give me some peace of mind to have a more up-to-date number :sweat_smile:

Read:

• NHK News Web Easy: 新型コロナウイルス 年末年始をつけること
  • ホリミヤ chapter 42 + おまけ - snuck in another volume by the end of the year! proooobably wont get another one in unless i’m feeling super motivated.
  • マジック・ツリーハウス1 あらすじ - just read the summary and first page to see what the level was going to be like and man. This triggered some deep memories. I read a lot of these books when I was in 1st and 2nd grade and really starting to learn to read on my own (so… somewhere in the ballpark of 20 years ago :face_with_spiral_eyes:), and reading some of these parts in japanese I can vividly remember the way I pictured the settings as a kid. Memory is a crazy powerful thing. Level seems absolutely and comfortably doable, though. When I tried to check these out of the library at my elementary school, the librarian made me count all the words I didn’t know on the first page, and wouldn’t let me check it out if it was over 5 (i never failed, she was merely a fool). And I really only had 2 to look up here, so we’re safe!

Optimistic about being able to read magic treehouse pretty quickly (and hopefully use that to adjust to the physical act of reading pure text vertically and R → L) , so will check out 夜カフェ tomorrow. That’s probably closer to my actual reading level, I’d think. If the NHK easy articles this month were any indication, I’ll adjust to the style pretty quickly and then I will be unstoppable :smiling_imp:

Good Words

NHK
うつる ー to spread (of a virus, fire)
消毒「しょうどく」ー disinfection, sterilization (extinguish the poison, nice kanji for it!)
入れ替える「いれかえる」ー to replace
抗原検査「こうげんけんさ」ー antigen test (of all the things in this article to not have a dictionary pop-up, this is one I definitely would’ve expected them to explain lmao)

ホリミヤ
別居「べっきょ」ー living apart, separate (seems to have tone of not being a good thing, not just merely not physically living together)
えげつない ー dirty, vulgar
早乙女 「さおとめ」ー young girl
派手「はて」ー showy, loud, flashy
沈黙「ちんもく」ー silence, being quiet
狩る「かる」ー to hunt (animals)

マジック・ツリーハウス
押さえる「おさえる」ー to hold in place (めがね)
ながら ー as always
翼竜「よくりゅう」ー pterosaur

20 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 29 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

BU$TAFELLOWS :moneybag:

After like two weeks of holidays and clearing out Kamisama and Orange, I finally got back to Bustafellows. I’m posting early evening, because while I hope I’ll get back to reading more, I won’t count on it. I finished what I’d consider the first scene of chapter one (I don’t count the quick 3-4 screens of intro for all the men). And I also learned that Sylph spent around 7.5 hours on chapter one. Meaning I am significantly behind since chapter 2 starts tomorrow. :scream:

How do I always get myself in these situations? Also 9-nine- starts tomorrow.

And work is about to bury me. :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

I haven’t joined the おいしいごはんが食べられますように thread yet because I’m seeing how far I get today but it’s not yet lunch time and I’m 1/3 finished :flushed:
Truly addictive writing. I might end up finishing this before the new year :sweat_smile:

That sort of educational style irritates me so much. I had an insane vocabulary as a kid due to being a bookworm and I never would have developed it if people were holding me back to my “appropriate” level. I had a giant paper dictionary and determination - what else is needed?

19 Likes

Dec 29, Thu of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• うたわれるもの
Interesting words
  • カタブツ = serious, inflexible person. From 堅物.
  • まつわる = to be related to; to surround. Kanji form is (まつ)わる.
  • (また)ぐ = to cross (e.g. a river). Kanji is for straddling.
  • (もよお)す = to feel a sensation / to hold an event
  • ()(おろ)し = loading and unloading (of a cargo ship). The second Kanji ((おろ)す) seems to be about wholesale.
  • 物流(ぶつりゅう) = distribution of goods
  • 縦断(じゅうだん) = running along the length. Opposite is 横断(おうだん) = cross cutting. Both are On readings of (たて) and (よこ). I can’t recall an On reading of the first, though.
  • 味見(あじみ) = tasting
  • 相伴(しょうばん) = partaking in. ご相伴 in context, probably should be お相伴?
  • 芳醇(ほうじゅん) = thick taste
  • 凱旋(がいせん) = triumphant return
  • 純白(じゅんぱく) = pure white
  • 伝承(でんしょう) = handling down of folklore
  • 重鎮(じゅうちん) = authority; leader
  • 洗練(せんれん) = refining; polishing
  • 荘厳(そうごん) = grand
  • 整然(せいぜん) = orderly; systematic
  • 御伽噺(おとぎばなし) = fairy tale (i.e. it’s not real / child-telling). Has Furigana in context. お(とぎ) is keeping company / nursing. おとぎ(ばなし) is OK too.
  • 光熱費(こうねつひ) = cost of fuel and lighting
  • 丘陵地帯(きゅうりょうちたい) = hilly area
  • 威風堂々(いふうどうどう) = majestic
  • ()()相応(そうおう) = ideal topography = 四神相応(しじんそうおう)(). An ideal topography for the four Taoist gods, with a river in the east, a broad avenue in the west, a basin in the south, and a hill in the north

SFX

• ムキムキ = muscular

Kanji

• (Level 34)
    • ジュウ
      • 縦断(じゅうだん),     操縦(そうじゅう)
      • 縦横無尽(じゅうおうむじん)

Replies

Although I don’t really know the answer, searching the phrase directly (e.g. in DuckDuckGo), would reveal websites claiming to teach business Japanese. Perhaps I can trust those?

These are from Google 日本語入力 – Google.

15 Likes