📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home

I read the last 13 pages of 夜カフェ ch 3.

I read 17 pages of 明日をくれた君, leaving off on pg 174.

This section was a good one

……私は佐藤くんのことが好きなのだろうか。

I’m losing it. She didn’t even realize Satou-kun liked her, I did not expect her to realize she might have feelings for him too, not while still feeling jealousy toward Ritsu over Kaito.

そんな考えが浮かんで、必死に振り切った。

lol, yeah. She thinks there’s no way that that can be since she knows very little about him other than his surname. And, yeah, there’s no way it’s love, but a crush? Well, let’s see, she enjoys their exchanges and trying to figure out who he is, he’s become important to her, and she thinks a lot about him… It’s definitely feasible.

We also finally get that confrontation with Kaito like he’s been wanting since last chapter since Midzuki has been avoiding him, although now it’s not really about that: yesterday when Midzuki asked Sugiura for advice on the then-last letter she’d received from Satou-kun, he had taken her hand and said a line very similar to Satou-kun’s, flustering her, and then told her that Satou’s feelings were probably something like that. They’d been seen “going home together holding hands,” so now there are rumors of the two of them going out.

Building on when he said that liking cute things was unlike her despite being her childhood friend so you’d think he’d know her better than that, Kaito says that hanging around guys known as delinquents is “unlike you,” and Midzuki thinks, What is like me? He tells her that he’s worried about her—she’s his childhood friend, so she’s important to him. But Midzuki isn’t as happy to hear that as she thought she would be.

We also meet yet another Satou! A student from another school who always rides the same train as her on the way home from (and to?) school, Satou Yamato, talks to her since she seems down, though we don’t learn just how he knows her name since his stop comes up soon after. She finds it weird (like, discordant with how she views herself) that someone she’s never talked to could have taken any sort of interest in her when she’s not beautiful like Ritsu is.

tbh I was kinda thinking of maybe nominating it for the Intermediate Book Club after I finished it, but it says that at least somewhat popular books are preferred, and this definitely doesn’t seem to be. It doesn’t even have a full audiobook, just an abridged one.

Some vocab of note:

呆れ果てる (あきれはてる) [自一] to be flabbergasted; to be dumbfounded. You’ve reached the ends of amazement. Plus there’s a certain symmetry with the kanji looking similar. I like this one.

If I were reading 64 in Japanese, I might have 警察庁 vs 警視庁 (and maybe even 警察署 and 警察官) down by now. (Well, “by now” as in this far into the book, not after this long reading, because I’m sure I wouldn’t have gotten very far after only a few days.) Because the NPA gets mentioned fairly often, and every time 警察庁 or 警視庁 come up in my WK reviews, I’m like, “Uhhhhh, which one was that again?” I nearly always get it wrong, and neither of them have stuck. (Also 警察官 feels like it should be a building to me, not a person, and 警察署 the other way around, possibly because 署 looks like 著 which I associate most with 著者… Or for that matter, maybe just because of the 者.)

19 Likes

I watch a ton of crime dramas so I learned these words through hearing them first which I think takes away a lot of the pain in learning them. I still struggle with remembering the ordering of officer ranks though, probably because I don’t know them very well in English either…

11 Likes

December 26 :maple_leaf: Home Post

I actually did a lot of Japanese-related stuff today, just with varying levels of reading relevance :laughing: I watched some anime with Japanese subtitles which is close enough; I watched the first two episodes of Death Note since it’d recently come up when talking to a friend and I felt like I’d probably enjoy it more now than when I attempted watching it as a teenager, and that seems to be the case. I also watched the first episode of 幽☆遊☆白書 on a whim and it was a pretty easy watch actually so maybe I’ll continue, it seems like it has fun characters :man_shrugging:

On the more direct reading side of things, I felt like playing something (go figure) so I tried picking up STEINS;GATE again and pretty quickly decided I didn’t feel like dealing with chuunibyou speech :joy: it’s a lot of fun in theory but oh boy does it make reading harder, so we’ll come back to that one later. So inevitably I picked up 13 Sentinels instead and it’s a great time! I’ve pretty much been keeping with it on auto and just opening up the log when I need to; it seems to be right around my comfort zone aside from some of the more technical stuff here and there, and all of the graphics and everything are so nice! Plus all the mysterious happenings and cool characters :eyes: checking all the boxes really. So yeah, I think my current projects between BU$TAFELLOWS assignments will probably be 13 Sentinels and 山猫, depending on my mood. Mysteries all the way down huh :joy:

18 Likes

Home Post

Day 47 Progress:
お隣の天使様 五冊 - 5.63% → 8.24%

It’s 6 AM and I missed my reading quota… might’ve just played a bunch of Vampire Survivors today…

Word of the Day: 胸板むないた - breast or chest. I like that it’s called the ‘chest board’. Pretty goofy way of describing it.

17 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 27th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• NHK News Web Easy: 年末年始にコンピューターの安全をチェックして - turns out 情報セキュリティ articles are pretty easy to read in japanese because everything is just english words :joy: by character count, about 1/5th of this article is katakana
  • ホリミヤ ch 40 - haven’t had a real hard chapter in a while wowie 宮村 and 仙石 are making up excuses while talking to a 先生 to try to get out of the mandatory pool time, so it’s mostly nonsense and also some keigo stuff while they fumble around trying to throw random bad reasons around hoping something might stick until 先生 just finally gives up trying to figure out why they don’t want to go in the pool and says they can go on cleaning duty instead. Waaaaay more dense than other chapters have been in the series so far.
Good Words

NHK
繋がる「つながる」ー to be connected to, to be linked to

ホリミヤ
炎天下「えんてんか」ー under the blazing sun
樫 「かし」ー oak tree
ナメる ー to look down on
全裸「ぜんら」ー stark naked
導く「みちびく」ー to guide, to show the way
爆破「ばくは」ー explosive blast
サボり ー skipping out, cutting class
補習「ほしゅう」ー supplementary lessons

Replies

I have heard literally nothing but good things about this game, I may have to finally check it out

Understandable. Carry on.

18 Likes

Dec 27, Tue of Extra week of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• うたわれるもの

I am a little surprised that I can’t find a dictionary that allows me to take notes inside it (e.g. which form did I found, from where, and Kana only?; what about aberrations?)

Interesting words
  • あどけない = child-like
  • ()める = to praise. Alternate Kanji.
  • ()ける = to be befuddled. Can’t guessed the reading due to (あき)れる.
  • ()ねる = to pout
  • ガキンチョ = brat. From 餓鬼(がき).
  • (あきな)い = trade
  • (なか)むつまじい = intimate. Also 仲睦まじい.
  • (たま)(きず) = small flow in otherwise perfect object; fly in the ointment
  • 薄幸(はっこう) = unfortunate
  • 徳利(とっくり) = sake bottle
  • 伝播(でんぱ) = propagation
  • 溜息(ためいき)()く = to sigh. I just can’t guess the first Kanji.
  • (むね)()らす = to be puffed with pride
  • ()になる = to gather in a circle
  • どんちゃん(さわ)ぎ = drunken merrymaking
  • (こころ)(おど)る = to be excited
  • ピンからキリまで(.) = from the best to the worst. I see it as ピッタリ to ギリギリ.
  • びくともしない(.) = unperturbed. Not ビクッと.
  • 駄々(だだ)をこねる = to throw a tantrum. を is dropped in context.
  • 融通(ゆうずう)()く = to be accommodating. In context as 融通がきかない.

SFX

• じたばた = making a fuss
  • しおしお = dejected
  • ボソリ = whispering
15 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 27 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

神さまがまちガえる :shinto_shrine:

One last thing finished before the year ended. Feels good.

For the rest of December I’ll be reading BU$TAFELLOWS to catch up and then start the new chapter coming this Friday. Also the parallel VN club starts then, 9-nine-, so I know what I’m reading for the next month for sure.

With this, I can close out this challenge a bit. I’m planing to write a review of my whole reading year (really April until now) on my log later, so lets close out the winter challenge (although I will continue posting here for the few days left).

I finished Orange 2-5, 夜カフェ2, 耳をすませば, and 神さまがまちガえる1. I read not quite half of ルーパーズ (VN), especially since some of it was read in July and I didn’t quite hit the 50% mark. I’ve also read a tiny bit of BU$TAFELLOWS, which I hope to read a lot more off. Probably finish chapter 1 at least.

It’s been a very inconsistent three months, except for the fact that I’ve always come back, and mostly just missed one day in a row, except for my vacation. But the vacation was probably good for me. Honestly, I’m not sure I’m gonna be reading much during my next trip either and that will be a lot harder to catch back up from, I think.

During this challenge I also speedrun (four day levels for all the 50s) a lot of levels of WK, at least all the 50s, but I can’t be bothered to actually check where I was at the beginning of October.

If anyone wonders which parts are must useful for reading, I’d say 20-49 probably. 50s are still useful, and obviously most everything under 20 is necessary, but during that time it is hard to get into reading if WK is the main learning resource. xD

I feel good about the amount I’ve read. Considering the season and the challenges that have come up, I feel like I’ve kept up pretty good. Far from flawlessly, but I don’t consider consistency “every day”. It is just such a hard target to hit and also enjoy the process most of the way through. I’ve gotten far enough that counting reading a sentence or two doesn’t feel like progress to me, and THAT in itself is huge progress. That an NHK easy article feels so easy that it barely feels like “reading”, except reading in Japanese is much more study than I hope it to eventually be. So really, most of the time I am “reading” and when I’m just reading, then I don’t feel like counting it for this challenge unless part of a book/manga I’m reading. :joy:

The way my mind thinks about these things are stupid, and I know it. ^^

So, anyway, thank you @windupbird for hosting! :heart: Looking forward to the new thread coming up! (hint hint :wink: ) And thanks to all my fellow readers that make these threads such a great place to hangout. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

22 Likes

:chocolate_bar: Home :wine_glass:

December 26

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険60
start - 63

I need to read faster…

19 Likes

December 27th

:snowflake: :evergreen_tree:Home post:evergreen_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 4 – progress report

Yesterday: Finished chapter 14 and therefore volume 3.
Today: Began reading volume 4, read up to page 26.

Sigh… why CLAMP, just why?!

Turns out that I remembered correctly even after all those years and Toya had a relationship with Mizuki-sensei when he was in middle school. :fearful:
Luckily (for my peace of mind, and unluckily – or actually also luckily – for Toya), they broke up around the time Toya graduated because Kaho went to study abroad.

Potential spoilers for later volumes if my memory is correct: and now I just had another reminiscence of something even worse involving Kaho… If I remember the things from the last few volumes correctly, Kaho ends up starting a relationship with someone else… someone who is err mentally not so young but physically still very young, even younger than Toya back then. Oh god, why CLAMP, why? :nauseated_face:

Word or expression of the day:
担当 (+する) - (たんとう) - being in charge (of an area of responsibility), being responsible (for a work role, etc.)

Honourable mention(s):
自己紹介 - (じこしょうかい) - self-introduction

21 Likes

At first, I thought you were going to bring up Rika and Terada. The last sentence of your spoilered part applies there as well.

9 Likes

I finished 自殺行き往復切符 and it was…fine. It felt so incomplete, just dangling bits of unresolved plot everywhere. I’m happy to be done with it though as it means I only have the short story in 秋の牢獄 left and then I can read something not rushing to complete the year. Maybe I’ll even finish the English book I started months ago…

Oh dear. :grimacing:

17 Likes

I can’t blame you for thinking of Terada-sensei and Rika but I’ve already encountered that part. :sweat_smile:

Aaand it’s still as unsettling as ever. :persevere:

The one I was implying is based on a vague memory I have of Kaho and Eriol starting a relationship before the end of the series. It would also explain their situation and interactions during the Clear Card arc that takes place after the first 12 original volumes.
(I’ve only just recently bought used copies of the original series in Japanese; I don’t own them in my primary language.)
I haven’t read the original 12 volumes in a long time which is why my recollection of events is quite blurry. However, I own and have been keeping up with the releases of the Clear Card arc up until now – primarily for nostalgia’s sake.

9 Likes

I remembered the kindergartener(?) and her teacher (sure, a kid having a crush on her teacher can be cute like CLAMP play it off as, but the teacher returning it is… *alarm bells*), but I did not remember the rest. That’s. lovely.

I’m also hoping I’m not misremembering that nothing like that happens in xxxHolic and Tsubasa. CCS and Chobits I knew I was never gonna read again (and I think there were a couple others I never wanted to touch in the first place), but I have good memories of these two…

8 Likes

December 27th!

I did a lot of reading today!
First I started Volume 10 of Teasing Master Takagi-san which kind of made me want to read the (元) series too…
Then I read the final chapter of Mitsuboshi Colors Volume 6, which was fun and cute as usual.
And finally I read chapter 43 of Shadow’s House which was excellent but made me really sad with its final page

(Home Post)

20 Likes

Oops, that’s what happens when I skip a whole read every day challenge thread until the end. (I’ll be around for the next one, though!)

8 Likes

I can’t comment on xxxHolic because I haven’t read it, but regarding Tsubasa Chronicles I only spontaneously remember three questionable relationships in that one (maybe there’s one or two more which I forgot about).

One would be a potentially implied incestuous relationship between the vampire twins (Subaru and Kamui?).
The other one would be Seishiro’s obsession with Subaru.
And the last one is the weirdest of them all: Shaolan (=Tsubasa) being in love with Sakura (=Tsubasa). In a way he’s in love with someone who’s a younger version of his mother – while his mother, timeline-wise came after Sakura (=Tsubasa) because she’s the copy of Tsubasa…aaand my brain is about to melt again.

Other than that, I don’t remember children/teenagers being in relationships with adults in Tsubasa.
This is probably one of the main reasons why Tsubasa is my favourite CLAMP series and the only work by them that I overall like instead of having a love-hate relationship with it.
So, I’d say that you won’t really encounter unpleasant surprises of this kind if or when you decide to reread this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Home post :bookmark: // :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: Dec 27 :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

・ 封印再度 (38% → 42%)
・ 本好きの下克上 15 (0% → 18%)

Finished week 4 of Saikawa and Moe 5 :smiley: Then I went ahead and started another volume of Honzuki :eyes: I’m having a blast. This arc is definitely my favorite so far, no doubt.

I really want to finish at least one more book before the next year starts and at the same time test myself. I don’t think I’ve ever finished a Honzuki book within a week. という(わけ)で、今年、最後のチャレンジなんです! nyoom :rocket:

20 Likes

Soon :tm: :eyes:
Actually I really need to do that tonight :joy: Idk how it’s the 27th already :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

Same. xD

7 Likes

New challenge thread is live! If you’re still continuing from the Fall challenge, feel free to keep posting updates here until the official start of the new challenge on January 1st ^^

19 Likes