📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 5 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

夜カフェ :cake:

I finished the rest of this week’s chapter and all of next week’s chapter too. You’d think a teen drama wouldn’t get too tense, but it did and I wasn’t gonna stop reading until some of it let up.

I didn’t check how many pages I read but 10+ somewhere is likely. I think I read for 2 hours (at least).

The good thing is I can pick up Orange tomorrow and start reading that again. And I also feel like I seriously made up for not reading yesterday.

I will never force myself to read just to a tick a box. For me, every day / regular / consistent does mean every day. It means almost every day. Because life happens and I prefer to allow for that. :slight_smile:

I even do that with SRS, won’t catch me doing reviews on Christmas, but I do reduce lessons if I know I’m gonna skip a day of reviews. ^^

30 Likes

05 October 2022

:house: Home Post

Reading and listening to a podcast in the morning before I go to class.

27 Likes

Another 3,000 characters of Flowers down. I’m not really happy with the amount I’m doing and feel like my progress is only sliding backwards (probably about time I pick up anki again a bit…) but I do have pretty extenuating life circumstances as always. Can’t say I’m feeling great from the medication currently.

My speed is sorta working against me – I love visual novels and specifically want to be doing them, but since even the short ones are longer than a lot of books, it’s kind of hard to maintain interest when reading them in the tiniest chunks per day. Like if this was English I’d probably get through the amount that I do here in 5, 10 minutes most. That tiny slice per day, not even every day (when I mix in Loopers and whatnot), is not exactly the most preferable way to read something.

I do like Flowers though. Over time these characters have definitely opened up so while they have some defining consistent tendency in personality, it feels like there’s a lot of complexity that the VN gives occasional glimpses of. The events are nothing too thrilling, but it’s all about navigating the complicated mess of relationships and watching them constantly improve and sour as people’s quirks bounce off each other. It’s particularly strong multilayered writing for every single one of the people, especially for the medium.

29 Likes

I know you said you weren’t worrying about what the difference was, but I got curious myself, so I looked it up!

Searching “土手とは,” it seems that 土手 and 岸辺 aren’t something that Japanese people mix up, but 土手 and 堤防. Those two are synonyms and gloss more closely to the English word “embankment” - pictures for 土手 show raised ground a small ways out from a river, and the first definition on kotobank is “川などがあふれて田地や家屋に流入するのを防ぐために、土を小高く積み上げて築いた長い堤。堤。堤防.” So it’s dirt built up (purposely) along the banks of rivers to prevent them from overflowing and flooding farmland and houses and the like.

岸辺 is defined as “岸のほとり。陸が水に接するあたり,” or more generally just the shore or edge of a body of water; where water meets land. A bank rather than an embankment. They’re not specifically built up like 土手 are and can definitely be flat. (Though 岸辺 is a name and also seems to be in the name of a drama, so searching “岸辺とは” mostly just brings up people…)

18 Likes

October 5th!

Today I read chapter 39 of Mitsuboshi Colors. It was a really fun chapter, though there were several confusing bits that I’m glad had been discussed in the book club so I didn’t need to try to work them out myself!

(Home Post)

25 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 5 :maple_leaf:

・ 狼と香辛料 (40% → 50%)

I finished week 5, so just week 6 left and I’ll be on track. Also happy with getting some studying done today :eyes: :sparkles: Showing up on campus seems to be very effective. On the other hand, listening to a random playlist of cool music is too distracting, will restrict to something chill next time. (Yes, cool and chill are completely different xD )

28 Likes

No reading for me yesterday but today I finally finished the Mystery Book Club pick (Natively forums), 十角館の殺人 and I sincerely enjoyed it. I’m quite happy the club picked a classic of Japanese mystery literature to kick things off, and I’m looking forward to whatever the next pick happens to be. I’ll put a last call for nominations in a few days and then run the poll. I’ll post here when the voting opens up in case anyone would like to join! :female_detective:

27 Likes

Today I read some more lines of the Monobeno visual novel. I’m sure I will finish it this year. What visual novel will I read next? Maybe Island.

Furthermore I read 6 pages of the Shin Kanzen Master Reading N1 book. Just a little more and I will have finished it. But unfortunately my reading didn’t improve much. I thought by finishing it I would become awesome at reading japanese but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

24 Likes

October 5 :heavy_check_mark: :crab: (actually :parrot:)

化身, 65-70%

Our parrot has started to speak, and the women of the household are getting more and more obsessed with him. The narrator has some misgivings about all that. :eyes:

28 Likes

Yesterday my brain was FRIED like chicken. I am hoping to make a bigger dent in today’s reading. I didn’t bring my Switch today and brought my handheld to play non-thinking games. I have been kind of overdoing it recently reading wise and need to give my brain and chance to not be in study mode.

23 Likes

Thank you! I was guessing the 手 meant it had something to do with being made intentionally by hand, but I didn’t have enough time to really look deeply and didn’t want to assume incorrectly. That’s super helpful info though!

12 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home post

10月05日

• FFXIV
  • 原神

Back to FFXIV and a bit of 原神 today. A bit challenging but I survived.

26 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 5 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

I’m short on time today, so I just read the first part of ジャックと豆の木 (Jack and the Beanstalk) on Wasabi. I listened to the recording of the reading and tried to translate it by ear, then read the actual text in Japanese and looked at the translation.

26 Likes

Home

Ah, the intermediate book club is starting later than I thought. I thought it was toward the beginning of the month, not at the very end. Well, I dunno if I’ll be able to finish any novels before then though (except for 夜カフェ if I end up reading ahead again). I have 5…

(And then, saying that, I don’t read any books today. Whoops.)

I watched ep 2 of 不幸くんはキスするしかない! (and, in non-reading news, watched ep 3-5 with ENG subtitles since that was the last with JP, though it annoys me to no end that this is one of those teams that Westernizes it by having the characters use given names in the subs even when they use surnames in the original, and of course they drop honorifics too. But unfortunately, I can’t keep up half the time without subs yet). I don’t know if this one was actually easier than the first or if I just cared less today, but I didn’t have to go back and pause quite so much today.

25 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 5th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Was driving for almost 8 hours today but still found a little time to read chapter 28 of よつばと!Very cute chapter. Glad that みうらちゃん is finally starting to play nice. Not too much else to say, except that I continue to really appreciate a lot of the paneling and background details in this series, especially in outdoor settings.

Some lovely panels

Good Words

飽きもせず (あきもせず)- untiringly, persistently
シュークリーム - Cream Puff
エコロジー - ecology

28 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 5th:
:yellow_square: とつくにの少女1(62% → 81%)

I spent such a long time on my homework today…I mean, that’s kind of what I get for putting it off, but, ya know. :weary:

ANYWAY, that clearly didn’t stop me from reading more of this manga. :laughing: Good news! I’m no longer intensely worried about little シーヴァ! せんせ came and protected her from the, and I kid you not, PLETHORA of arrows shot her way. Now, I will say, one of the soldiers tried to argue against the idea of shooting at her, but they were swiftly given a talking to. As it turns out, the arrows didn’t really injure せんせ much at all, though the darling child sustained a slight injury to her leg (from tripping, not from an arrow).

Also, as they were walking home, せんせ held one end of the umbrella while シーヴァ held the other, and it was like they were holding hands! How PRECIOUS! :face_holding_back_tears: I just…nothing bad’s allowed to happen to them, okay?

26 Likes

October 5 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Today’s another one of those sleepy days where I just count what I did for class :joy: I’m in a ブルーロック mood though, hopefully I can read some more tomorrow!

26 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 5

Even less time than usual so I could only manage to read a little 狼と香辛料 (17% → 18%).

26 Likes

:house:
Oct 6

かがみの孤城 47% → 48%

Five pages today. There’s been a lot of dialogue in the last few pages so it’s easier to understand. I listened to an instrumental album while reading, which made it super relaxing!

27 Likes

06 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 17-19)

Accidentally edited this post instead of posting a new one. Whoops.

24 Likes