📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 14th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

Good Words

NHK
がん ー cancer
帝王「ていおう」ー monarch, emperor

ホリミヤ
呟く「つぶやく」ー to grumble (also to tweet, like post on twitter)
国語「こくご」ー native language

19 Likes

December 14 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Finals season is still ruining me so just read a bit of 山猫 to keep the habit alive :muscle:

19 Likes

Finished chapter 2-2. Unsure if I want to keep reading today. I’m super tired :sleeping:

18 Likes

Home Post

Day 35 Progress:
お隣の天使様 四冊 - 33.66% → 39.58%

Did you do it? Yes.
What did it cost? Everything, but especially my sleep.

Gonna be one hell of a day at work tomorrow.

Word of the Day: おぼれる - to struggle in the water or sink below (and be unable to breathe). Very amusing that the kanji used is, unsurprisingly, ‘weak to water’.

21 Likes

:house:
Dec 15

かがみの孤城 (上) 90% → 95% (page 445)

I stopped reading for a few days but picked it back up today. I should be able to finish the book tomorrow!!

21 Likes

Dec 15, Thu of Week 12 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Death Note Vol.5 Ch.43 (end volume)

Deadly meeting. Actually, I watched anime a little ahead.

Sorry, but I skimmed two vols ahead just now. – 計画通り –

• うたわれるもの (a little less than 1 hour)

Night camp and girls. (See vocabularies :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Interesting words
  • ドジ = blunder
  • ボヤキ = grumble. Verb form being ボヤく, meaning to ぶつぶつ.
  • (らく)チン = easy-peasy
  • 競馬(けいば) = horse-racing
  • 召喚(しょうかん) = summoning
  • 魔物(まもの) = demon
  • 夜泣(よな)き = crying (of an infant) at night
  • 災厄(さいやく) = calamity = 災難(さいなん)
  • 人事(じんじ) = human affairs (personnel’s)
  • 母子家庭(ぼしかてい) The first part is 母子(ぼし) = mother and child.
  • (けん) = combination
  • 専念(せんねん) = undivided attention. Think, specialized attention.
  • ()ける = to receive a contract / to redeem = ()()う / ()()
  • 安直(あんちょく) = simplistic. Cheap and direct.
  • 定石(じょうせき) = standard tactics. Like a standard targeting stone?
  • 一環(いっかん) = make a ring / a part of a ring
  • 巡回(じゅんかい) = a patrol
  • 発覚(はっかく) = disclosure
  • ()だくさん = full of ingredients. Well, 具沢山.
  • 世辞(せじ) = flattery
  • 泥濘(ぬか)る = to get muddy. However, such places are called 泥濘(ぬかるみ). An alternative verb form is indeed 泥濘(ぬかる)む.
  • 開墾(かいこん) = cultivation (farming) of a wasteland
  • 塩梅(あんばい) = seasoning
  • 調理(ちょうり) = cooking. Just like 料理(りょうり).
  • 湯水(ゆみず) = hot and cold water. Also means things to use plentifully, wastefully.
  • 湯浴(ゆあ)み = taking a bath
  • 格別(かくべつ) = special
  • しなやか = nimble. Perhaps like a high quality (しな).
  • 余所余所(よそよそ)しい = being distant. Of course, 余所(よそ).
  • ()えたぎる = to be boiling hot / to be on a rolling boil. There is even more Kanji’d form ()(たぎ)る. (Put in for the sake of Yomichan).

SFX

• もたつく = to catch もたもた = slowing down
  • ヨボヨボ = tottering like a toddler / unsteady gait
  • ズラリ = in a row / in a line

Phrases

• 遜色(そんしょく)がない = by no means inferior to. Japanese people just don’t like the color / feel of a (まご) or a son (子孫(しそん)), standing on a scooter.
  • 舌鼓(したつづみ)()つ = to eat with much gusto. The drum alone is called (つづみ), and Kanji also used in 太鼓(たいこ).
  • (われ)(かえ)る = to come back to one’s sense
17 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221215 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 96.71% :raccoon:

The conversation continues, with one of them talking for more than a whole page

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

世態人情「せたいにんじょう」ー Contemporary customs and behaviours
竹槍「たけやり」ー Bamboo spear

19 Likes

December 15th

:snowflake: :christmas_tree:Home post:christmas_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 2 or Aria: the masterpiece volume 2 – progress report

Yesterday: Read up to page 306, finished chapter 18.
Today: Read up to page 341, finished chapter 19.

I’ve been feeling pretty anxious for the last few hours and I don’t really know why (hopefully a good night’s sleep will put body and mind at ease again). To distract myself from that, I read a whole chapter in midst of the week for once.

Word or expression of the day:

祝う - (いわう) - to celebrate, to congratulate, to observe (a festival)​

Honourable mention(s):
染まる - (そまる) - to be dyed​
使い古す - (つかいふるす) - to wear out (something)​
受け継ぐ - (うけつぐ) - to inherit, to succeed, to take over

20 Likes

Haven’t posted in days.

11/12 5 pages かみさまがまちがえる

12/12 6 pages シャドーハウス, 2 pages かみさまがまちがえる

13/12 skimmed 6 pages シャドーハウス

14/12 read over those 6 pages, plus 2 more

15/12 9 pages シャドーハウス (to end chapter)

20 Likes

I’m so happy I waited until today to read chapter 2-3 of 青ブタ11. That was such a long sub chapter! Really enjoyable but long x.x

15 Likes

December 15th!

Today I read chapter 40 of Shadows House. It ended on a bit of a cliffhanger so I really want to find out what happens next!

(Home Post)

19 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 15 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:
Info on olden times holiday traditions in Sweden :snowman:

Hello! :wave:

I went away on a one week vacation, did you guys miss me? xD

I also ended up reading absolutely nothing. Had enough time to keep up with my WK reviews, but that was about it, outside vacation stuff. :sweat_smile:

I went to London and had a good time. I bought a lot of tea and chocolate, so I’ll be aurally entertained for a long time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Today I got back to reading. Both reading a lot about historical Swedish Christmas traditions, super interesting. It is a book magazine (they literally call it that, not nearly as thick as Japanese manga magazines but still pretty thick), that writes about every day from December 1 to I think about 13 days after Christmas (you can’t take down Christmas too early, eh!). There are both specifically to the day things and otherwise it talks about Christmas holiday stuff in general. It is fun to learn more about the types of traditions we once did here.

I also started volume 5 of Orange. But it was already late so didn’t read far. Maybe close to half the first chapter in the volume.

Also for those that have missed it, BU$TAFELLOWS VN club starts tomorrow. It is a Switch and mobile game, the PC version is English text only, but with the Japanese audio. This is a long VN and we will need to keep the speed up to not read it over a year or more. :sweat_smile: But please come join if interested!

20 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 15th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• NHK News Web Easy: 小学校中学校 発達障害かもしれないどもが8.8%いる - some rather syntactically complicated sentences in this one, but read through it a few times and then picked it apart in deepl and they mostly make sense to me now.
  • ホリミヤ ch 26 + おまけ - given that i’m just now finishing volume 4, finishing this series by the end of the month is looking less and less likely :sweat_smile: could do it? yeah, probably. But it feels like i’m reading plenty and enjoying myself with one of my favorite series, wouldn’t want to rush it and stress out about it
Good Words

NHK
発達障害 「はったつしょうがい」ー developmental disorder
かもしれない ー might, possibly
どのくらい ー how long, how much, how far
周りの人「まわりのひと」ー the people around oneself

ホリミヤ
崩壊「ほうかい」ー collapse, breaking down
ウケる ー to find funny, to find humorous (form of 受ける)
居間「いま」ー living room
判断「はんだん」ー judgement
登校拒否「とうこうきょひ」ー truancy

18 Likes

Another tiny read - I want to keep reading but it’s already bedtime! I love 乱歩 so much, I really should make a list of his books and just try to get through them all eventually.

I also really enjoyed my advent reading today, 梶井基次郎 is an author I’ll have to make a note to read more of in the future.

17 Likes

Home

So… Manga Republic has a coupon… and I found out they’ve got one of the issues of Cocohana that’s got a 2.43 manga chapter (the third, I believe; also, it amazingly wasn’t super expensive), so I ordered that, as well as the Premium Collection ver of xxxHolic vol 19 (which Amazon doesn’t have for some reason?? TOM I’m not surprised about, but Amazon not even having a listing? They’ve got the others though, so I’ve got that option for them too) and a few volumes of the 今日から㋮王! manga that I don’t have. So yeah, happy xmas to me, I guess (though I doubt it’s getting here by then). My 積読 pile just keeps growing.

Today I read ch 3 of JJK0.

Getou: Satou-san—
Saitou: Um, I’m Saitou.
Getou: Nope, I called you Satou, so you’re Satou now.

What are you, a spoiled five-year-old brat? Yup, I definitely hate him. For that, he’s on the level of Yahiko now. Unfortunately, also like Yahiko, he’s a main supporting character.

Oh, lovely, and he thinks of every non-jujutsushi as a monkey and therefore below his high-and-mighty self. He may as well use 俺様. But then, he does speak semi-politely, and 俺様 is about as far from polite as you can get. Why can’t he be some one-off, two-bit villain, why does he and his extremely punchable face gotta be a recurring character, ugh

Apparently in the novelization, Yuuta compares Maki to the shining sun in the winter sky, so I’m really looking forward to reading that. I’ve really fallen for this ship, especially after this chapter. They’re so good.

Some vocab of note:

うさんくさい [い-adj.] suspicious-looking; shady; questionable; dubious; fishy
杞憂 (きゆう) [noun] needless fear; groundless apprehension; unfounded worry. I have a feeling I’ve done this one before, but oh well. Also I like how it looks.

17 Likes

Finished Chapter 2 of 青ブタ11 and good lord things are getting weird. O.O

I don’t even know where to begin. But this is definitely one of the more wild volumes.

17 Likes

December 15 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Tail end of finals week, spent most of the day dealing with that so just barely snuck in a few pages of ブルーロック :joy: but after tomorrow I’m free!! :tada:

20 Likes

Home Post

Day 36 Progress:
お隣の天使様 四冊 - 39.58% → 50.92%

Don’t let the fact that I’m posting this at 5 AM distract you from the fact that I had a great reading day today.

Onomatopoeia words continue to remain a menace to me. So often do I just stare at one I thought I learned and just draw a complete blank. Many of them sounding insanely similar doesn’t help…

Word of the Day: 真摯しんし - sincere; earnest; serious. That 摯 is a 常用漢字 and yet is used in exactly one word is pretty interesting to see. Obviously it must have some decent name usage but at the same time I really do wonder about the criteria for what gets added as 常用 or not…

22 Likes

:house:
Dec 16

かがみの孤城 (上) 95% → 100%

Yay, finished the book! Though it’s technically only half of the whole story, lol. Initially I wanted to take a break from such a long novel and read shorter ones first before continuing, but I feel invested in the story now :thinking:

Thoughts about the story (spoilery content)

For most of the book I assumed the ending would be some cliffhanger about the search for the key/room, but I was very wrong! I’m not mad about the book focusing on the relationships between the characters rather than the main plot, though I’m now very curious about how meeting in ‘real life’ will turn out for them, as well as what will happen with the search for the key/room.

Thoughts about my reading ability progress through reading this book

So I read this book over a total of nine months, breaks from reading to focus on academics included. I feel like throughout the book the difficulty varied between sections. Sometimes the dialogue was very easy to understand, and at other times it confused me so much that I had to reread a single page several times. As I reached the end of the novel I definitely got stuck far less times than when I started. I was also able to speedread a lot more than I could in the beginning. Which is great! I also learned a ton of new words just by looking them up far too many times until I remembered their reading and what it meant.

I think I’ll spend the last few days of the year finishing 人間椅子 and perhaps starting 世界から猫が消えたなら, then see how I feel from there.

And now I shall begin a novel in English as a small reward for myself :smirk:

22 Likes

:frog: Home :phone:

December 15

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険56
100 -132

I didn’t have as much time as I wanted. No work tomorrow though

20 Likes