📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Obviously feel free to join us here in off-month December! And otherwise the next one starts in January, the thread will probably be put up by @windupbird about a week before. Although with the holidays I wouldn’t blame them if it only happened a day or two before. xD

14 Likes

The writing style is much easier than 十角館の殺人 so you have that going for you! The audiobook sound quality is pretty iffy though.

10 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I think I will do just that then, and join you for off-month December! It will be a good way to ease-in back to the routine. And yeah, what with the holidays, that’s completely understandable! :laughing: I’ll make a small home thread later then!

13 Likes

Have you bought all the volumes? All I would say is, the story it appears to be in volume 1 is not what it ends up being! I read way ahead of the book club in the end as I wanted to see how it ends.

Yep. Currently spring/ summer here. Allegedly.

11 Likes

Yeah! I got all 10 volumes for my friend for christmas. I was trying to read through it before I gave it to him though, so I could help him out if he needs it (I’ll also link him the book club too :grin: )

9 Likes

Home post :bookmark:

Dec 1 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

The number of emojis are increasing.

・本好きの下剋上 14 (21% → 30%)

Story spoilers: The prince and “goddess of light” randomly joining the tea party between Rozemayne and the music teachers OuO. And then the prince gets all jealous and can’t handle the two girls building a nice friendship xD abruptly leaves the tea party to sulk because tiny girl almost steals the heart of his crush by composing an impromptu melody which he asked for in the first place. Such pompous attitude, sasuga ouji-sama.

21 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 1 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Loopers :infinity:
Holiday/Christmas short stories (English) :snowman:

I’ve been meaning to get into reading holiday stories and novels, I always put it off every year, and then barely make a dent in the pile I have, and I typically end up adding a couple of more. EVERY TIME. So anyway, being December first and starting all the Advent calendars I got this year finally pushed me to start reading some.

Actually in a way, I have 4 calendars, only one is for the whole holiday season from thanksgiving to new years day. So the long one is called Holiday Spectacular, and is fiction short stories on holiday themes. In English. So I read the first 3-4 today. I also spent the morning reading a little about Swedish traditions around Christmas, like old timey stuff. So I guess I technically read in Swedish today too. :astonished:

My other calendars for those curious are: tea, super mario figures/accessories (I’m just such a fan it makes me uncomfortable sometimes :sweat_smile:), and a mystery/riddles/puzzles one from a company that makes board game versions of escape rooms. Wanted to try the stuff to see if I should get some of the board games to do with friends. (I still haven’t done a real escape room :sob:)

Then finally later than I planned I got around to reading Loopers and was just waiting for a scene break. Finally a kinda complete topic change happened, so I paused there. This is the second longest chapter in the whole VN, and will be my longest chapter so far. I think I maybe read 2k-3k of the 11k characters. Just a wild guess, well maybe not terribly wild since I’m starting to get a feel for how long it takes me to read X amount. But I spent about an hour, which have proved to be about that amount too. (Meaning this chapter will probably end up taking me 4 hours total to read or more…)

I also changed my pfp for reasons. *whistles*

I started with them all, because here in northern Sweden (outside Skellefteå), we typically get snow in October, but winter was sooooo late this year, wasn’t it? So we didn’t get snow until mid November. And I planned to read through December from the start.

I often say my favorite season is spring, which it totally is. There is something magical about seeing the leaves unfurl on the trees, and everything turning green and new. And the sun blazing down but it is still cool outside. And I could gush for a while longer.

But I love a lot about winter/the holiday season too. Maybe more the holiday season. Also, until I get a garage, car stuff is annoying in winter. Also I need better winter outdoor gear, so also a bit annoying. ^^’ Once I fix those things (garage probably not for a few years…), then Nov-Dec might rival spring for my affections.

Also, completely digressed about seasons from your comment, sowwy! xD

20 Likes

December 1st!

Today I read a chapter of Flying Witch. It was about cooking, and featured some Witches Finger cookies that looked cool and now I kind of want to try to make some even though I am terrible at baking.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

:computer: Home :frog:

December 1

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険53
152 - 187 (end)

some ugly fonts from this volume that I want to shame

I’m so glad I made this post yesterday morning. I got home from work and immediately watched all of the new JoJo episodes but they were so intense that I needed to sleep from being emotionally worn out.

22 Likes

Maybe since the magic made a grandmother exist for Yukito, she was real at that point in time. So Sakura’s clothes could’ve been changed by the grandmother. After the Yukito/Yue reveal, the magic was undone and the ‘grandparents’ disappeared. :woman_shrugging:t5:

4 Likes

Welcome back tanuki buddy! :heart: :raccoon: NOT ME STILL TRYING TO TYPE :TANUKI: TO GET THAT EMOJI LOL

This is kind of a repeat of everything @MissDagger just said but There will definitely be a Winter Challenge starting January 1st! I will try to put the thread up more than a day or two before then but no promises :eyes: lol But you can definitely post here until then too, it seems like a lot of people will still be going (and others like me will still be lurking and liking hehe)

21 Likes

Been reading a few pages of 青ブタ10 and a chapter of Shield Hero volume 2 before bed every day this week. Not sure which one I am super invested in yet, I suspect Ill finish one and the other shortly after. Then repeat xD

Cool side tangent: The company I ordered from sent me the wrong book so I got 青ブタ11 for free because it would cost more money to send it back than buying it (always buy used people [unless its the latest volume]!). The latest book comes on December 9th, so I am not sure if I should read the rest of 10 this weekend, then read 11 all next week before the new one comes out. I really like Shield Hero, but I bought it for my upcoming trip, so I am in no real rush for those books.

17 Likes

The naming doesn’t make sense for people living in the tropics either. But I don’t think anyone care about minor countries or the like.

That’s obviously art.

9 Likes

I listened/read along to another half hour (~15 pages) of 黄金仮面. The illustrations in this book are :fire:

There’s definitely a few parts where I’m not totally following due to missing some words, but I’m still able to get what’s happening and pick up a lot more than last year. I also noticed more places where the text and audiobook differed.
Text: 映画
Audiobook (based on original writing): 活動写真

Did they really think modern readers wouldn’t get it? :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

December 1 :maple_leaf: Home Post

I think I’ve reached max garbo brain era of my covid experience so just read a few pages of ブルーロック for the sake of it :joy: very excited to get back into it more fully but my brain was just not having it today lmao. So rest!

Yeeeessss omg so exciting, my legacy lives on :laughing:

zero escape stuff!

Ahhh congrats, that’s awesome!! :tada::tada::tada:

Omg no worries, I always like talking about things I like, and it’s super fun to see your thoughts about it all :grin: though it is blowing my mind a little that these posts are from the last winter challenge and we’re about to start a new one… the passage of time is wild :joy:

Great minds :muscle:

Ooooh yes the mysterious coffin, great questions indeed :eyes:

Lmao that’s valid, I’m just so bad at picking “mean” options in games until I’m literally forced to :joy:

Hmmm interesting, I don’t remember that part at all (though it’s been a minute lmao) but it’s… interesting :joy::eyes:

Alas, it’ll all be fair game soon! (This did send me on a little tangent looking at my old posts to see if I had anything from where you’re at that would be safe and… no you can’t look at them yet :joy:) but if the need to scream about zero escape strikes before then feel free to throw it my way anyway, I’ll be here lmao

Ohhhh I forgot about that, some details are coming back to me :eyes: I’m reliving it vicariously through you :laughing:

Thank you!! I’m getting there, this post was a nice distraction :grin:

20 Likes

You’re right, I should just appreciate that Araki didn’t handwrite those sections himself lmao

8 Likes

December 1 :heavy_check_mark: :mountain_snow: :tophat:

山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 , 40-50%
叙述トリック短編集, start-5%

Yesterday I finally managed to resume reading my mountain ghost stories book! It had been a long time since I last read a story at the end of October. I read two stories today, and enjoyed them as much as ever.

I also started my advent reading book, the one using narrative tricks to fool the reader. The mystery of the first story is as everyday as you can get (a blocked toilet), but the writing is promising. I’m looking forward to see how I’ll be tricked.

21 Likes

Home Post

Day 22 Progress:
お隣の天使様 三冊 - 62.01% → 67.46%

Didn’t do much reading today and also it’s almost 4 AM so I’ve failed on multiple fronts, but the reading itself was honestly pretty smooth.

I’d like to type more but I’m wholly lacking in mental and physical energy so this’ll have to do for now.

Word of the Day: おり - sediment or dregs. Something poetic about the water reducing the palace to nothing but sediment.

22 Likes

Lol, yes. But I’m used to the online world (most of it) telling me it’s the opposite season to reality, so it doesn’t bother me

Allegedly because it’s been feeling more like autumn/winter for the past few days? :joy: If the weather’s been similar where you are, anyway.

13 Likes

:house:

Dec 2

かがみの孤城 72% → 73% (page 345)

Reached another turning point in the story :eyes: I don’t want to stop reading, but I need to wake up early tomorrow, so I’ll be going to bed soon. I did try to read yesterday but fell asleep after attempting to read one page :sweat_smile:

My small goal for tomorrow will be to read until I’m at least 80% through. But hopefully I won’t be able to put it down, because apparently the ending is the best part.

23 Likes