📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

This Bunpro grammar point seems to be relevant to this! The page itself has only a short explanation but maybe the additional resources help you better understand this point?

11 Likes

Home Post

Day 5 Progress: お隣の天使様 二冊 - 33.44% - 40.36%

Was trying my hardest after work to rush through WK lessons and meet my reading quota before the turn of the day, but I failed and now (for unrelated reasons) it’s 3 AM.

Came across a strange sentence (to me) in today’s passage:

「今日は洗っていたのです。あまねくんこそどうしたんですか」

「俺はポケットに手を突っ込んできたから」

ポケットに入れてやって来たなんて良い子は真似まねしないでほしい方法でここまでやって来たので、あまり偉そうな事は言えない。

それ以上は何も言わず、ただ冷たくなった華奢きゃしゃな手を包み込むように握った。

The idea that sticking your hands in your pockets, on its own, is “bad”, plus the fact that it’s literally 7 PM in the dead of winter makes this entire bit funny to me. Having your hands into your pockets! My goodness, how delinquent!

Word of the Day: 我に返る - to come to one’s senses or to calm down. Using 我 really conveys the sense of having returned to stability and tranquility again.

18 Likes

Thanks! I need to start working with Bunpro more. Someone elsewhere explained that it worked as kind of a set phrase when you were thinking about something that happened in the past or has been happening for a long time.

6 Likes

Caught up on a lot of my reading after work today. Think it’s just the IBC I’m behind on.

15/11 30 pages Orange (finished letter), 5 pages おばちゃんたちにいるところ (end last week’s reading), 13 pages God Bless the Mistaken (to end chapter)

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221115 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 75.25% :sunrise:

Master wakes up late after all that strenuous thinking last night (if we can really call 7am ‘late’)

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

微塵「みじん」ー Particle; atom; little piece

21 Likes

Nov 15, Tue of Week 8 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• ATRI (Ch. 登校)

ATRI (bot) is supposed to be holding toothbrush in her mouth, but I don’t see one in her mouth.

ATRI has a lot of unspoken lines (e.g. of MC), so I have to look up more.

• かがみの孤城 (上) 67% => 71% (Finished Ch.5 September)

Castle probably doesn’t have Internet.

To-remember vocabularies
  • (すす)ぐ to gargle (compare (そそ)ぐ, is this a voice guessing game?)

• たじろぐ stand 立つ back at home くつろぐ

• はぐらかす becoming (はぐ)れる (think Kanji meaning); waiting for まぐれ (fluke)

• 途方(とほう)()れて (Yomichan + Kanji components are explanatory. Just imagine.)

• 蛍光(けいこう) / 蛍光灯(けいこうとう) fireflies (ほたる) fly in arrow towards left side, making a K

• ひけらかす trying to bring ()

• (うず)く originally written うづく, being hit ()つ, therefore in pain 苦しい

• 便(たよ)り reliable 頼る, and easy to understand 便利

• 平等(びょうどう) everyone in the same room (どう) (Probably also think sickly 病, but there is also 病棟)

• 共振(きょうしん) shaking 振 at the same time 共に in the heart 心, like 共鳴(きょうめい)

18 Likes

Kinda funny how things go, on saturday I thought I would read a chapter of colorful, I ended up reading a page. On sunday I thought I would read maybe a page and ended up reading the whole chapter. Yesterday I read two pages. I think I gotta be able to spend a little time to get into it more.

21 Likes

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 11.15.2022 火曜日 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

:video_game: Visual Novel bookclub is between two VNs that I didn’t vote for. Bu$tafellows is definitely above my current reading level, and while 9-nine- could be doable with text hooking, it’s a decent chunk of money that I’d rather put toward something I think I’d enjoy more. I’ll probably either start :purple_heart: Pokemon Violet or :coffee: 夜カフェ instead.

:calendar: Did this week’s Hobonichi translation. This one was really hard to translate in my opinion because it seems like in Japanese you can just keep adding an infinite amount of descriptors to something and in English it’s hard to add more than a few. It seems like the best option when translating is to pick out the most important ones and cut the rest, but when I do that, I feel like I’m cutting out a vital part of the original writing.

:broom: シネマ・コミック5 魔女の宅急便

266 → 342

It’s like Kiki’s gotten so used to being alone and dealing with her own issues, and now that she feels like she can finally have a friend, that thought was rudely interrupted. Now that she knows what she’s missing out on, she can’t just go back to being fine with the way things are.
The Ursula section is coming up next!! I’m so excited to read that part, and then I’ll be pretty much at the end.
飛行船(ひこうせん) - blimp (not a super useful word but it kept coming up in today’s reading)

Additional Studies

:owl: Did a little DuoLingo for the first time in a while and they completely re-did everything. Now it’s a single-file path instead of the tree system. I did a couple rounds and got bored. I’d rather read :slight_smile:

19 Likes

November 15th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Yesterday: read up to page 206
Today: read up to page 213

Not much progress today due to me feeling unwell; I feel like I might catch a cold. :slightly_frowning_face:

Unless I was hallucinating the ninja looking guy actually used オレ様 to refer to himself in that one panel: say whaat? :dizzy_face:
Sir, In that case I won’t be able to take you that seriously in the future because only the more bonkers kind of characters such as Zelos from Tales of Symphonia refer to themselves as オレ様 – and Zelos IS mostly a comic relief character! (Granted, he has some serious moments but still.)

Some words of note

運賃 (うんちん) (passenger) fare​
職業 (しょくぎょう) occupation, business
御召 (おめし) wearing, dressing, clothing​
滅多 (めった) seldom (with neg. verb), rare

19 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 15 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 13 (13% → 18%)

Was gonna read more, but I’m about to fall asleep :sleepy:

21 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 46, 15th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Another two sentences of 魔女の宅急便. There’s a few phrases I didn’t quite get where I guessed liberally, but I ended up with something that made sense, so I’m satisfied.

According to ichi.moe, どこにでもある is an adverb adjective (thanks for catching that @pm215) expression that has the comment “noun or verb acts prenominally”. Not quite sure what is meant by that, I’ll have to research that further.

Edit: thanks bunches!

21 Likes

Adjective, not adverb – “noun, verb, etc. acting prenominally (incl. rentaikei)” is the (rather cryptic) meaning of the EDICT adj-f tag. All it really means is “this goes in front of a noun”, eg どこにでもあるチェーン店. I think the tag is there for the benefit mostly of automated parsers – how it works grammatically is exactly the way any phrase-ending-in-a-verb modifies a noun.

13 Likes

A prenominal is just a word or phrase that goes in front of a noun and describes it, so it acts like an adjective. So this one is a verb phrase meaning literally “found anywhere.” The way it would be used is どこにでもある[noun], meaning “[noun] that is found anywhere]” or “commonplace [noun]” etc.

13 Likes

Home Post

I finished my second book in Mandarin yesterday and my tenth book in Japanese today!

My review of the Japanese book (かくりよの宿飯二) is on Natively. It was fantastic!

Cover

7c24dcc0-6245-48d9-91fd-d032abe3ceec

The Mandarin book (我想和你做好朋友) was fine, but it got boring since it was for kids and took me around two months to finish. :sweat_smile:

Cover

novelimage 8.23.10 PM

23 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: November 14

Played ルーパーズ for about half an hour and finished a chapter, then finished the 1st chapter of ユージニア. Since I bought the book I can finally see where I’m at so it seems I’m at 11% (although it doesn’t seem to agree with the physical edition counts so who knows). Also read a little わたしの幸せな結婚 (24% → 25%).

23 Likes

November 15 :heavy_check_mark: :maple_leaf:

秋の牢獄, 34-45%

I started the second story of the book. A nice, spooky start, but progressively less spooky as it goes. I think I’m starting to see a pattern with 恒川. He begins with a fantastically spooky idea, then explores it enough that it becomes normal, even slice-of-life. His stories always (the ones I’ve read so far at least) develop in unexpected ways, however. They may not be especially scary, but they’re certainly imaginative and surprising.

22 Likes

That’s pretty interesting, isn’t it? I think I like this author :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: November 15 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

神さまがまちガえる :shinto_shrine:
耳をすませば・幸せな時間 :black_cat:

Trying to make up for the many missed days last week I guess. Finished the last 10 pages of kamisama, and read the 20 pages for 幸せな時間. Love this middle part of the story. Reminding me of my totally absorbed love of reading in my teens. Where I would take any moment outside class and friend time to read (except when I had computer time).

I always read books on the walk home, always looking up before crossing the road, but otherwise my nose in a book all the way home in good weather. Regularly visiting the school library to loan books. Reading late into the night because it was a time that became entirely my own. A needed solitary time.

I can sometimes recreate that feeling of safety by bundling up in bed in the dark reading at night. When it feels like everything is right with the world, even if just for those precious moments, and I get to go away into the story of a book, living adventures far far away. :pleading_face:

I really need to get back to reading before bed. It is the best.

Actually more reading all the time.

24 Likes

It is a very interesting approach, I agree. I still would prefer a little more spookiness, but that’s just me.

6 Likes

I played a little bit of Wild Arms Alter Code F in japanese. The japanese in the game is pretty easy to understand it’s just that the font is sometimes a little hard to read. I started the prologue with Cecilia that means I’m not that far in the game yet but I definitely want to finish it in japanese. It’s really fun.

18 Likes