📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

12 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 55)

Just a little bit of reading today.

21 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 12th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Today was a cooking/experimenting day! Curry sounded good yesterday while I couldn’t move, and one of the characters in p5r mentions that they put shredded apples into their curry, so I really wanted to try that out today. While I was out, I noticed that there was some カルピス and ラムネ at the store now, so I grabbed a bottle of each of those to try out. カルピス is… interesting? Very citrus-y almost like lemonade, but sorta milky. Not my favorite but was nice to try. ラムネ I liked, but I tend to favor carbonated beverages. Probably have had this before, but this would’ve been like 10 years ago, so nice refresher. They particularly weren’t cheap though, so might stick to getting them if I see them at a restaurant or something (and don’t already want some ベール :beers:).

カレーライス

Not my best curry, but I really didn’t know what apples would do to it so didn’t want to go overboard. They don’t really add a flavor directly, they just kinda soften the flavors already there, I think. Adds a little bit of sweetness too. I used half an apple, probably could’ve used the full one. I’ll try it again next time with more apple and more spice to see how that goes. All about experimenting

Read:

• Tae Kim 235 → 242 – some more nuanced negative forms, and saying things are easy/difficult to do. I definitely remember looking up にくい during よつばと!
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapter 24
  • SCP-161-JP – short SCP entry that a linguist friend sent me. Has some neat wordplay based around ateji kanji.
Good Words

わき腹 「わきばら」ー side (of the torso)
不利「ふり」ー disadvantage, handicap

Oh I just saw this reading earlier when I was looking up some song lyrics! 「凸凹なコンビネーション?でも別に大丈夫さ」meaning an ‘uneven combination’ or ‘bumpy combination’

22 Likes

November 13th!

Today I read two chapters of Shadows House. They were quite text dense in places, so it took me a while to read them today! I got there in the end though.
I’m looking forward to seeing how the next few chapters pan out!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Nov 13, Sun of Week 7 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

From Hukumusume collection. It has been a while since I used this website. Since stories are short, reading aloud is quite ideal.

しゃれこうべ can also be written 髑髏.

Although from the listing page, no audio is seen, it is attached with a Youtube (has to be seen from inside the article).

• ATRI (VN) (Ch.2 足になります, around 1 hour)

Since I don’t need to look up as much as I used to, it became easier to read. However, looking-up-may-help is also avoided, so as to help with the length of the story. Also, I would probably not need to look up if there is audio (not always, though).

I looked up on smartphone, with Aedict (where JMdict gets updated often, and there is a link to Goo; but no context menu from web browsers).

I haven’t set up Text Tractor (on this laptop) yet. Not sure if I should.

• はたらく細胞 Vol.1 Ch.3-4 (Finished volume)

As amusing as ever. Also, pro-squad :rofl:

ドクソ feels interesting. Even if it is actually 毒素, I also see it as ド糞.

I found 有事(ゆうじ) so simple, but difficult to read at first. (Omake part of Ch.3, so no Furigana.) Another one of interest might be 雑兵(ぞうひょう), which has alternate Furigana instead.

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221113 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 74.07% :evergreen_tree:

I read about three sentences because there were way too many trees to plant today.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

:evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:
:evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

19 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 13 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (92% → 100%)

Last book of part 3, finished :eyes: :sparkles:
(side story spoiler) マイン’s baby brother カミル can say his own name now: カミュ :eyes: cute! :pleading_face:

Found another を + [intransitive verb] expression: 頭を()ぎった. I’ll just have to accept that there are more exceptions to the rule than I thought.

・本好きの下剋上 13 (0% → 5%)

Looking at the illustrations and reading the list of character at the beginning of the book plus knowing where the plot is headed… (spoiler)

…is making me feel like we’re going to Hogwarts :joy: Mysterious magic school/institution. The character list has students name + current school year. Looks like there will be many senpais :eyes: Ah hilarious, I found a review on bookmeter which is also mentioning Hogwarts:

22 Likes

November 13th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Yesterday: read up to page 166
Today: finished chapter 5, read up to page 193

Read another 25–30 pages today. I can slowly but surely see the finish line for the first volume because there are roughly 130 pages left. :slightly_smiling_face:

Some words of note

下流 (かりゅう) downstream
少しずつ (すこしずつ) little by little
幅 (はば) width, breadth
合格 (ごうかく) success, passing (e.g. an exam), eligibility
無事に (ぶじに) safely, peacefully, without problems
希望 (きぼう) hope, wish, aspiration
暮らし (くらし) life, livelihood
代わり番こ (かわりばんこ) alternating, taking turns
日課 (にっか) daily lesson, daily work, daily routine

21 Likes

That’s an interesting one, because my impression is that it practically always does have a を when you see it in the wild; but it’s the same “を marking a location being moved through” again.

I found a page discussing various different definitions of transitive vs intransitive verbs; its list of cases where 自動詞 can take を is like this:

① 移動する場所・経路:「道を歩く」「公園を走る」「 空を飛ぶ」「橋を渡る」
② 動作・作用の行われる時間・期間:「この一年を無事に生きてきた」
③ 動作の出発点・分離点・経過点:「故郷を離れる」「バスを降りる」「家を出る」「2時を10分過ぎる」
④ 位置関係:「先頭を走る」「最後を歩く」
⑤ 取り巻く状況:「嵐の中を歩く」

Unless I’m confused, you can’t recast any of these into the passive with the を-marked noun becoming the subject, which points towards them not being “real” objects. But that’s a personal observation, not an expert-backed one.

16 Likes

13 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• Graded Readers

Trying these out for the first time, over at this website.

18 Likes

Aha! :eyes: So the “exceptions” has a pattern that makes sense after all. Thanks for pointing that out!

10 Likes

Home Post

This week I finished 海辺のカフカ :tada: Also, went to the sauna again (after a looong time) and read some more 星の王子さま - this week I came across the fox who wanted to get tamed, which was a bit of a touching moment for me.
ユージニア is making good progress (will probably finish this week’s reading tomorrow), and then it’s onward to the second story of 秋の牢獄! I will be a bit busy next week, but I hope that I can finish the story until the weekend.

23 Likes

Delayed post for yesterday. Was quite distracted so patchy reading.

13/11 5 pages God Bless the Mistaken, 10 pages シャドーハウス (finished volume 3), also skimmed 9 pages of volume 4! 8 pages Spy Family, 2 pages Orange

20 Likes

November 12-13 :heavy_check_mark: :dancer:

おばちゃんたちのいるところ , 14-23%

I didn’t have much reading time yesterday so only read a little, but today I finished this week’s short story from おばちゃんたちのいるところ. Next up, Mystery Club.

21 Likes

:hedgehog:

Aoibhe’s Home Post :fallen_leaf: :maple_leaf:

I’m not very confident in my reading and I don’t know very many kanji yet but I’d like to try reading through some of my Manga in Japanese. Not very good at forming habits right now but I’m gonna do my best.

Nov
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Book List

• Bocchi Kaibutsu starting Nov 14
  • 穂高輪花のチャリと飯 Vol 1. If I make it
  • 穂高輪花のチャリと飯 Vol 2. Unlikely
20 Likes

I considered skipping reading yesterday as I was under the weather, but I instead opted for my stop-gap measure of random-free-read from Book Walker. It was terrible. To be fair I intentionally choose things I don’t expect to get invested in.

I finished the ユージニア reading and the 体育館の殺人 reading today. Seeing as I’m under the weather (but feeling fine-ish? No voice but also no headache :joy: ) I haven’t got much to do today except read. I’ll probably tackle the 金田一 reading next as it’s only 30 some pages and then I can leisurely read the second story of 秋の牢獄 this coming week.

20 Likes

Out of curiosity, when just starting out, should I be bothering to try and transcribe/understand the Japanese? Or to just gain familiarity with the kanji and comfort with reading?

7 Likes

Not really Kanji, but trying to understand sentences well as a whole can be useful. So joining a book club, perhaps an old book club, is recommended.

Otherwise, some people simply open their own threads.

After getting some confidence, both intensive and extensive have their merits. I leans towards extensive first, before catching up on intensive later, though.

10 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 13

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険48
152 - 189 (end)

Volume 48 done! :star_struck: On to 49! I’ll still try to read Human Chair, but I may put it on hold until I’m back at a good pace with manga to hit my goal of 50 vol by the end of the year :sweat_smile: I need to read 2 volumes a week to make it. It’ll be close I think.

21 Likes

Trying to transcribe the Japanese will lead to more work during your reading and therefore easier burnout. I would test out what works for you. Over time seeing repeating and natural style pattern should help them become ingrained in your mind and help you internalize the meaning. Therefore the act of reading in itself is a good practice. Whether you skim, don’t use a dictionary, use a dictionary in a limited way, heavily use a dictionary, or etc is up to you. I recommend testing out each way over a week or so and seeing which way helps you stay engaged and happy the most. Set a timer for 15-20 min and then check your feelings when it goes off.

13 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 13th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• Tae Kim 242 → 255 – finished section 5! Just one major section left. Lots of time/duration/state related grammar today.
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapter 25, 26, おまけ, finishing volume 3! – cute chapters. Usually don’t have a lot to say about these. It is a little funny that I was just talking to someone last night about all the different ways you can talk about さつま芋アイス (in particular the enigmatically named 大学芋アイス ) earlier and then yet another form we hadn’t talked about pops up in one of these chapters.
Good Words

習字「しゅうじ」ー penmanship, calligraphy
悩む「なやむ」ー to be worried
逆効果「ぎゃくこうか」ー opposite effect
現状維持「げんじょういじ」ー maintaining the status quo
攻める「せめる」ー to attack
はっぺた ー cheek
限定「げんてい」ー limit, restriction (here, 秋限定焼いもアイス)
パンク ー flat tire (puncture)
尾行「びこう」ー shadow, tail, following
競走「きょうそう」ー race

18 Likes