Week 3 Sep 24 55–78 24 pages Ch 17 星つき
Ch 18 深夜の見回りにて
Week 4 Oct 01 79–106 28 pages Ch 19 余計なこと
Ch 20 親切なお影様
Week 5 Oct 08 107–131 25 pages Ch 21 前夜
Ch 22 五対の新人
Week 6 Oct 15 131–155 25 pages Ch 23 格付け
Ch 24 名前

1 Content warning: Chapter 16 includes a bath scene. It’s recommended you don’t read this chapter during your lunch break at work or while riding on public transportation. Telling HR or that nosy lady sitting beside you on the bus that it’s okay because these are just dolls won’t work as well as you might think.

Online Preview

The first 16 pages of volume two are available for free online.

To view the preview, open one of the links above, then select the ブラウザ試し読み button on the page.

This preview covers most of chapter 13 but does not include the last few pages of the chapter.

Discussion Rules

• If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.
12 Likes

My sides @ the 16章 disclaimer

7 Likes
At the risk of revealing my joke re-use, we had a similar scene in another book club manga recently.

13 Likes

Fun fact: I read some chapters of 五等分の花嫁 while at the gym (in between sets), and there were a couple bath scenes as well. I kept looking over my shoulder. :sweat_smile:

(Those scenes were obviously very different from the scene in シャドーハウス)

9 Likes

Me reading Sailormoon on the bus, after quickly swiping back to the previous page: “Well, there’s a chapter I’m not going to finish until I get home.”

8 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I apparently voted in that poll and never read more than the “still reading along” option, so your joke recycling means that I actually got to see it and I got a good laugh out of it today. :joy:

11 Likes

It‘s here :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
It arrived on time :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::pray::pray::pray::pray:

10 Likes

I was gonna say, I’m getting deja vu with all these bath scenes.
Curse the japanese and their fixation with underage girls!

3 Likes

Chapters 13 and 14

Start Date: 2022-09-09T15:00:00Z

Today we begin volume two!

Continue with the pace from volume one, we’re reading two chapters per week, starting with chapters 13 and 14 this week.

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

• I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

8 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever read a manga that (following a serene first volume) suddenly escalated quickly like this. Definitely good we’re reading two chapters rather than only one.

13 Likes

Could you please check the title of chapter 22? It should be 五対の新人 not 五村の新人. I might be wrong because my eyesight is not so good. But I don’t think it is the tree radical. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely 五対 as in “5 pairs”.

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out! Since I happened to already have the table of contents run through OCR, I copied and pasted from there and then failed to confirm that it read correctly.

4 Likes
Oh god

I think “That escalated quickly” never applied better. This week’s reading went like:

“Ohh, she was just mimicking her shadow’s movements”

“Those don’t look like cleaning tools! I guess we are getting some more foreshadowing for later”

“That is one scary ojiisama”

“THAT IS ONE SCARY GHOST”

“OH GOD A HEADCRAB”

Honestly wild

10 Likes
And from there, my thought reading chapter 14:

“I guess they really are living dolls and not actually human, or else she might break her—”

“Okay, so the ‘actually humans’ theory is still on the table.”

9 Likes

I think that panel is the moment I realized we were in for a lot more than a slice of life about a maid and her master.

I can’t wait to go home and read another chapter tonight!

10 Likes

Read chapter 13 and I’m saving chapter 14 for later this week. Took a sneak peek at some of the panels and it looks horrifying. So glad I went on to vol. 2.

8 Likes

I thought so. Sometimes OCR chooses different kanjis for the same word even on the same page. Still, I am grateful we have OCR technology.

4 Likes

ぶったたくのみだろ
クズども!
Page 18 (vol. 2)

What does クズども mean in this context? I understood it like: I guess the only thing we can do is beat the crap out of the scum!.

6 Likes

Your meaning of クズども is correct, but I’m pretty sure she’s referring to the people she’s talking to as scum. (See jisho definition 2 for ども)

“We got the hammers, what should we do?”
“Just beat the crap out of it you scum!”

7 Likes