シャドーハウス 👧🏼👤 | Week 5 Discussion

Chapters 7 and 8

Start Date: 2022-08-12T15:00:00Z
Last Week: Chapters 5 and 6
Next Week: Chapters 9 and 10

Cover

シャドーハウス Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

I’ve been reading ahead though the club has almost caught up to me! I’m finding this a fun read and interesting. Definitely planning on reading further books.

12 Likes

I really enjoyed this weeks chapters :slight_smile:

Glad to see some other living dolls and discover they are (mostly!) friendly!

I added some stuff to the vocab list, not as comprehensively as @ChristopherFritz usually does though!

8 Likes

Fun chapters this week!

Even though everyone was friendly, I found the whole situation to be slightly off-putting. Everyone was perhaps a bit too happy to be spending all their waking hours cleaning. It felt almost cultish.

From the title of the next chapter it seems we’ll get some more clarification on the すす取りの間

12 Likes

Every little bit is appreciated :pray:

I’ve added a Characters tab to the vocabulary sheet for those like me who are apt to forget names now and then. Always expect it to potentially include characters introduced in the current week’s reading, in case you want to avoid seeing anyone in advance of reading!

7 Likes

I had the same feeling, not gonna lie. Probably the only sane one was the unfriendly doll because they know what’s going on but have no choice but to play the role they’re given.

Also at the end of chapter 8, I was surprised that Kate didn’t get mad at Emiliko for soiling her clothes especially in the presence of other dolls. Didn’t she get mad before saying something like she represents Kate and the house now, so she needs to be more careful.

Honestly the light-hearted ending felt really eerie because you know something is off, but Emiliko is completely ignorant to the situation. She didn’t even realize she needed to eat food like Kate.

6 Likes

Agreed! It’s very much giving me cult vibes.

Also, considering Emiriko seems to be having to learn everything from scratch but looks to be at least early teens, what exactly happened? When did she come back to consciousness? Or are living dolls born in vats like in the Matrix? So many questions…

9 Likes

I think that only matters when she’s around other Shadows. It should make a little more sense after reading chapter 11 (spoilered just in case you really don’t want to know the chapter number).

5 Likes

Same!

Finally got around to reading last weeks chapters :see_no_evil: somehow it always takes me some effort to actually start the reading (fear of … failing!? Or idk? Oo) only to realize that I‘m really enjoying it once I actually get started :see_no_evil::sweat_smile::see_no_evil: (which is also why I might be a little late to the party sometimes :confused::see_no_evil::sweat_smile:)

9 Likes