シャドーハウス 👧🏼👤 | Week 4 Discussion

Chapters 5 and 6

Start Date: 2022-08-05T15:00:00Z
Last Week: Chapters 3 and 4
Next Week: Chapters 7 and 8

Cover

シャドーハウス Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

There were some really cute interactions in these chapters. I really enjoyed the end of Chapter 6 when Emiriko mentions Kate usually leaves soot if she’s angry.

However, I thought it was a little mean in Chapter 5 when Kate tells Emiriko to throw away the bread. Also how does she survive on only eating bread? I’ll need to have another look but I can’t remember if Kate has real food delivered to her, so it implies that better food is available.

And finally, Kate’s debut sounds like it will be fascinating and terrifying in equal measure. Wonder if that will occur in this volume!

9 Likes

Why? Kate said it was too much for her and offered it to Emiriko, and Emiriko declined. So Kate asked Emiriko to throw out the extra bread instead. Seems reasonable to me.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but to me, on a first read, it was almost like Kate was testing Emiriko? Perhaps I’m too inherently suspicious of her…

1 Like

I read it more as Kate trying to find a way to give Emiriko the bread even though Emiriko initially refused out of a sense of duty, with a bit of teasing thrown in. (“Oh, you won’t take it? Might as well just throw it out then.”) The Shadow clan as an entity seems a bit sinister but I really do like Kate.

11 Likes

I do like that interpretation too!

2 Likes

I feel a little sorry for Emiriko, having to figure everything out by trial and error!

5 Likes
don't quite get this sentence, p.62 bottom right panel

よく見ると自分がいつも食べているパンと違って

the two と are confusing me, especially the second one, are they both conditionals?
she seems to be saying something like “when looking properly(closely?), bread you’re always eating differs”, but that doesn’t seem right with the second と being there.

can someone break down the sentence for me?

3 Likes

Offhand I don’t see any text-based resource I can quote from, but here’s a 6 minute video on it (brief explanation followed by two examples of と(おな)じで and two examples of と(ちが)って):

Essentially, と(ちが)って is used when contrasting two things. The contrast in the manga here is between 「自分がいつも食べているパン」 and the other bread.

Edit: Breaking down the sentence:

When she takes a good look (よく()ると), Emiriko finds Kate’s bread (implied from context) differs from (と(ちが)って) her own (自分(じぶ)) bread (パン) that she’s always eating (()べている).

8 Likes

nice, thanks for the explanation and making me aware that it’s an expression.
i really should just be typing stuff like this into the bunpro searchbar, it popped up there, checked tobira p.121, confirms what you said too.

3 Likes

What does Kate mean by 自分がおいしそうに食べている所、
私見てみたいの
? I literally don’t understand the sentence in its entirety. In the place where i deliciously eat the bread, you try to look at me?. It just doesn’t make sense, any help would be appreciated. It’s on page 62 if you want context.

2 Likes
Pg. 62

I just barely read the chapter myself. :laughing:

My interpretation, reordered for natural English:

“I want to try to see (私見てみたいの) what I look like at the time when I eat something delicious.” (自分がおいしそうに食べている所)

所 can also be a circumstance or a moment in time (the Jisho gloss is “thing; matter” or perhaps in this context, it could be viewed as “point; aspect,” edit: or, after some sleep, “scene” is probably where I would lean, but the idea remains the same regardless), not just a physical place, but a temporal one, so to speak.

This follows the sentence where she says エミリコ is her (ケイト) face, so that’s why エミリコ eating something would satisfy that curiosity (though, it’s just an excuse ケイト came up with to get エミリコ to eat the bread, I think).

7 Likes

Back home again
Finally had some time to go through the last chapters and catch up with you guys :slight_smile:
Added some stuff to the vocabulary sheets (this week‘s reading) and realized I sometimes really struggle with recognizing kanji :sweat_smile::see_no_evil: so that was the main stuff I added… kanji that didn‘t have furigana - frustrating thing is, once I look it up I do recognize the kanji and vocab I just looked up… :unamused: but yeah I guess (hope) this‘ll get easier with time :see_no_evil:

I‘m still enjoying the manga very much, it‘s really cute
Looking forward to the next weeks :slight_smile: & hoping you‘re all enjoying it at least equally as much :slight_smile:

I gotta say I do/did have quite a struggle with pages 61/62 and will have to look into them further… not gonna ask a question just now as I‘m not at home and don‘t have the means to really look into it rn myself :see_no_evil::innocent::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yay for catching up!

I’m not sure if you’re reading it in print or on BookWalker but I do find sometimes (even if you zoom in) its really difficult to make out some rather complicated kanji in my BookWalker version. Makes it much harder to look it up by radicals in the dictionary too!

3 Likes

thanks for cheering me on ^ _ ^

I’m actually reading it in print :see_no_evil: but yeah it was just staggering to actually realize this…
Not the fact that there are kanji I don’t know (of course there are!) but that I struggle recognizing ones that I do know or feel like “omg yeah of course!” once I looked them up :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Completely agree - its one thing I really need to work on. I’m absolutely terrible at reading anything that isn’t in a standard font!

1 Like

The story continues in the next thread!

(I’d post a link in the main thread, but I can’t post more than three in a row. If someone were to add a reply over there, it’d reset my ability to post a reply.)

2 Likes