Orange :tangerine: Home Thread

Next Part: Chapter 2

Reading

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
July 2nd Letter 1 - Part 1 5 - 31 27
July 9th Letter 1 - Part 2 32 - 56 25
Last panel of first week

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Week 2 participation poll

8 Likes

Added the last panel (under Reading heading in the dropdown), since this manga is a bit page number deficient. No spoiler that I can figure from it.

4 Likes

The pain begins…

I was surprised how quick of a read that first part was considering I had always hesitated reading due to the lack of furigana in the letters. But even that wasn’t too bad. I only had to look up four words total.

Vocab for personal reference

宛 addressed to
送おくり主ぬし sender; consignor; remitter
決定 decision; determination
狩人 hunter

Knowing what’s to come, it hurt a little looking carefully at all the character expressions in the panels especially good guy Hiroto. Still, it’s a nice detail to return to after progressing through some of the mysteries of the plot. I had a lot of a-ha! moments which was fun.

Naho’s group of friends are truly the best. They’re a great mix of multiple personalities for one thing, and they’re very close. Kakeru proves to be very observant of Naho. The two of them seem to be on the same wavelength personality-wise. The way Hiroto watches over them proves he’s pretty observant too…

For those going into the series for the first time, do you have some predictions on what’s to come? I’m curious what people are guessing the direction the manga is heading in. I remember when watching the anime, I didn’t suspect a thing😅

And thanks @MissDagger for hosting! It’s nice to have access to an digital version of the manga so I can read at times like this (2am when Tan-chan can’t grab my phone).

10 Likes

あずさ2号/狩人

BTW, this was a great example of one of those situations where everything would have become clear if I’d just kept reading, but instead I went on a google mission. At least I got to listen to the song and share it, though!

9 Likes

Finally, the day has arrived. I originally meant to read this series a bit after finishing Aoharu, then never got around to it.

I had to avoid it while reading Aoharu to ensure I didn't mix up characters.

So far I’m about 19 pages in (will save the rest of this week’s for probably this weekend). Way too early for me to speculate anything!

9 Likes

Read to page 22 today! Page 20 was dense! I’m still not totally sure what Hiroto meant when he said「あずさ2号「」ではねぇんだ. Maybe he’s saying they didn’t call Azu 狩人 because of the song?

Reading the handwritten letter wasn’t terrible, but there were definitely some easy kanji I didn’t recognize.

And the suspense is already killing me! Gah!

:joy: The likeness is impressive!

7 Likes

So exciting to finally start. :smiley:

Read to page 19. I’m enjoying the art style so far. Just going a bit slow for me because I had to figure out a flow around adding words to the vocab sheet. I figured it out, so reading should be more smooth going forward.

Page 17
この日だけは翔を誘わないでほしい。

Does this mean: On this day only, I want Kakeru not to be invited. OR On this day only, I want you to not invite Kakeru.

Page 18 (this actually follows the sentence above)
みんなに相談してみようかな でも… 信じてくれるんだろうか
It is more the last part of this I’m not sure I get. I read it as all one thing, despite being in different panels. And now I’m wondering if the last bit, is maybe related to the previous sentence I asked about, and the first part is just kinda an observation unrelated? (If so, I think I get it.)

So maybe: Maybe/I wonder if I should try to talk with everyone (/join the discussion) but…

Changed my mind, because I remembered to look into くれる to remind myself it is to give from the receiver’s point of view, so I looked up 相談 (consultation; discussion; discussing; asking (someone) for advice​) and I wonder if it might not be the last definition so the sentence(s) becomes something like:

I wonder if I should try ask everyone for advice (about the letter/inviting) but… Would (they) believe me? (added try from @ChristopherFritz suggestion, the みよう slipped my mind)

What do you guys think? Did I manage to figure those out correctly?

4 Likes

I think meaning 2 here is the key:

I am curious at this point what the difference would be between her inviting him alongside the others, and her being practically the sole one who doesn’t. (Especially with the 絶対に.) Would he even notice?

Edit: I’m not certain about it following ないで versus a verb, though!

Your translation sounds about right. I might go with, “I wonder if I should try asking …”

2 Likes

Page 17

Does ないで actually count as て form? Is that was the で is (て form of だ/です)? Because て form of ない is なくて. But I don’t know the etymology of the で of ないで. I would have thought it might be the means/how/where particle.

Edit: I didn’t see your edit in time.

Page 18
Yeah, of course. I dropped “try” somewhere in my train of thought.

1 Like

I realized that after posting above (tried to sneak an edit in).

That means it’s time for me to look at other places where ないでほしい is used in manga!

I like doing this because it helps me ensure I’m understanding things correctly (or I can correct them if I’m not).

からかい上手の高木さん Volume 2

Takagi asks if Nishikata dislikes her playing pranks on him.

She then says for him not to misunderstand, because she plays pranks on him because she likes him.

I can see this as being “I want you not to misunderstand”.

それでも歩は寄せてくる Volume 2

Takeru doesn’t want to go get the book Sakurako wants to read.

When he returns from getting her the book, he realizes she hypnotized him again.

Sakurako says she wants him to not get angry (at her).

好きな子がめがねを忘れた Volume 8 (spoiler)

Komura asked the girl he likes from class to go to the festival with him. When Komura gets to the girl’s house, he’s greeted by her father.

Komura imagines the worst:

“What is your relationship with Ai?” he imagines the father asking. “I want you to not approach Ai again.” (「もうあいに近付かないでほしいんだよね」)

現代魔女の就職事情 Volume 3 (spoiler)

Following some bad things happening in her life, Minamine is unknowingly persuaded to ending her life. She realizes at the last moment that what she’s about to do is stupid and turns to head back home, but a sudden strong gust of wind says otherwise.

Neko flies in just in time to catch her.

She takes the opportunity to list off all the good things Minamine has to live for.

Neko finishes by saying, “That’s why I don’t want you to throw that away.”

Here, the subject is implied to be あたし, so it looks like the one being requested to (not) do something is identified by に.

And finally, this Japanese page gives the English meaning as, “want someone not to do”. (Maybe I should have tried looking it up that way first…)

2 Likes

So it was indeed that future Naho doesn’t want present Naho to invite Kakeru on this day only. ^^

Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t remember what happened in which chapter anymore but I’ll be monitoring the threads!

4 Likes

Just finished this week’s reading!

It’s still pretty close to the beginning, so it’s hard to guess what will happen from here, but I have a bad feeling that something’s going to happen to Kakeru… especially since as of pg 31 it’s been a couple weeks now since they last heard from him (if I’m understanding correctly). I also wonder why Naho’s future self didn’t want them to invite him? I guess we’ll find out!

4 Likes

Right, read the rest of the week’s portion today (and 3 pages yesterday) and I have some questions and comments.

Page 20

I’m also not sure about this one. I can’t decide if it was more like a banter thing along the lines of “You weren’t called あずさ2号 then?”, but I can’t really get the Japanese to fit anything like that. So I’m probably reading it wrong. :joy:

I was also wondering about 旅立つ because I wanted to add that to the vocab sheet, but I realized I wasn’t sure which of the two meanings were used by Hagita. Departing on a trip or departing this life? I assume, from the tone/the following discussion, it is the latter one.

But then I wondered what about the song, which definition is used in the song… Even reading through the lyrics, I’m not sure I’d be able to truly pick one of them, because lyrics are like poems, right? A lot left out, reading between the lines, and I don’t know Japanese music at all.

At least I’m pretty sure which definition Hagita used, but not enough to add it to the spreadsheet…

Page 21
I’m not sure why Kakeru is laughing? I don’t get the またぎ joke (on page 20). Honestly, I only understood it was a joke, not anything more than that. Also Kakeru is super cute when he laughs!

Page 22
If you want to get hungry, put all the bread names into your web search of choice. :drooling_face:

Page 24-25

Kakeru! :heart_eyes: So cute and sweet. And apparently very observant.

I’m seriously enjoying the art of this manga. I especially like how when there is a lot of talk on a page, each person get a different pattern in their bubbles to easily distinguish who says what.

Page 26 (page 12 too)
I know this showed up in the first few pages, but 6組… I’m not entirely sure what that means. Is it the sixth class (meaning there are 5 more classes at that level or something different?)? A way to say 6th grade (this seems unlikely? Since in 6th grade in Sweden is around age 12-13, not 16)?

Predictions! I have been a tiny bit spoilered, as club shepherd I had to look up things and such, but I can ignore all that, so no spoilers in my prediction.

Hmmm… Actually not sure I can predict much. But for some reason Kakeru should probably not have gone with them, so is he allergic to something? Or, he did say he possibly couldn’t go, so he had to do something, maybe that was medical? I don’t know, I’m apparently leaning towards him being sick.

Also, what more is in that letter? I’m so curious! I would not have been able to not read it. Like who could? Naho… read the letter NOW! :imp:

Enjoying it a lot so far! Next week can’t come soon enough! :smiley:

7 Likes

That’s their class. I forget what grade they’re in, but let’s say it’s grade 1, class 6, we would write it as 1-6 and formally in Japanese it would be 1年6組 or year 1, class 6. So to answer your question, you’re right about the assumption that there are at least 5 other classes in that grade.

P.S. I’m enjoying everyone’s predictions and it’s taking me a lot of self control not to say anything lol.

7 Likes

Oh, actually realized I forgot a thing. And I forgot it because I couldn’t find a dictionary definition that made sense (aka the only one that showed up made no sense.

Page 23
Hiroto says ほんじゃ みんな 好きなの取って。What is ほんじゃ?

3 Likes

It’s casual western dialect for それでは which you say just before you take your leave. ほんじゃ would be more similar to “see you again” whereas それでは would be more like, “well then, (bye).”

5 Likes

But that kinda doesn’t make sense, does it? He’s not leaving. But それでは have several more definitions (according to jisho), and some of those would fit for sure.

2 Likes

Oh good catch! I needed to revisit the scene. I did a search in Japanese (since my husband went to sleep conveniently after asking him the meaning the first time xD) and here’s what I found: it means それでは but besides using it before leaving, it can just be a sort of transitional word meaning “well then.”

That makes more sense, and it was a good lesson because I’ve only heard it being used before someone leaves. It’s like じゃあね or またね are too casual for those types of characters and 失礼します is too formal so それでは is a good medium choice.

The other interesting part is that Hiroto is the one saying ほんじゃ which is supposedly often used in western Japan, but they live in Nagano which is central Japan if I’m correct. That means Hiroto grew up in western Japan and moved to Nagano at some point too. Or maybe the whole group just likes western style comedy (typically Osaka comedy acts) so they like using common western words? Interesting either way.

2 Likes

I actually found a Nagano dialect entry for ほんじゃあ being それじゃあ and I figure it isn’t that far from that to ほんじゃ and それじゃ. So Hiroto might be speaking Nagano dialect.

3 Likes