📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:house:
29th of July

Read pages 125 to 127 (35 – 36%) of かがみの孤城 today. Finally the weekend… maybe I’ll have a little more time to read tomorrow and on Sunday.

21 Likes

Yeah, I think the important thing for me is to remember all the techniques she’s taught me. When all overwhelmed and stressed, it is hard to remember them.

And sometimes it isn’t even something huge that has to happen to change stress and overwhelmed to “I have a lot to do but I can handle it”.

Remembering to treat myself kindly and recognize that it is okay to say “this isn’t working for me”, now that is the big task. One I’ve been chipping away at for a few years now, as mentioned. ^^

8 Likes

Today: p. 122-126 of よつば&!

Newish stuff

先っちょ (さきっちょ): tip, end, point
じっと: motionlessly, firmly
幅 (はば): width
計る (はかる): to measure
しゅるしゅる: slithering sound
鳴る (なる): to sound, to ring
合図 (あいず): signal, cue
丸出し (まるだし): exposed, on full display
回覧板 (かいらんばん): circular, distributed notice
怒る (おこる): to get mad, to scold
余る (あまる): to be in excess, to be left over

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220729 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll of じょうぎ座ガンマ2星 :star:

Random article - about the Gamma2 Normae star.
(I can’t remember how to do the ^2 so my 2 is floating off into the cosmos instead)

Also learned the Japanese name for the Milky Way - 銀河「ぎんが」
Silver river sounds pretty cool.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Starwords

視等級「しとうきゅう」ー Apparent magnitude (star brightness measurement) 等 is used as the unit of measurement, here the star’s apparent magnitude is: 4.02等.
肉眼「にくがん」ー Naked eye [MEAT EYEBALL]
年周視差「ねんしゅうしさ」ー Annual parallax; heliocentric parallax; stellar parallax
視線速度「しせんそくど」ー Radial velocity; line-of-sight velocity
スペクトル分類「すぺくとるぶんるい」ー Stellar classification; star classification
橙色巨星「だいだいいろきょせい」ー Orange Giant (star)
星間雲「せいかんうん」ー Interstellar cloud
核融合反応「かくゆうごうはんのう」ー Nuclear fusion reaction
有効温度「ゆうこうおんど」ー Effective temperature
宇宙望遠鏡「うちゅうぼうえんきょう」ー Space telescope/observatory
固有運動「こゆううんどう」ー Proper motion (of a star)
黄色超巨星「きいろいちょうきょせい」ー Yellow super giant (star)

19 Likes

Home post :bookmark: July 29th :sunny:

・ わたしの幸せな結婚 5 (0% → 17%)

Fifth Kekkon start. Thoughts so far: It is New Years, so they’re going to visit the shrine. Miyo is trying to identify what she’s feeling for Kiyoka, but at the same time, she’s afraid of facing and naming whatever that feeling is. :eyes: It will probably happen sooner or later, but I sure hope it happens in this volume. Also, people from the 異能心教 cult approaching people on the street and putting the other 異能者 (the army) in a bad light. Not a bad plan, really. Just don’t get arrested, maybe? xD

・Loopers :infinity: part 03 of youtube series. Book VN club reading.

Pro: there’s voice acting
Con: but no furigana
Pro: can just listen to what they’re saying
Con: my ears seem to have problems discerning certain sounds TuT

22 Likes

:tangerine: :books: July 29 :books: :tangerine:
(home post)

Orange :tangerine: page 115 → 144 (30 pages)

In the nick of time I finished chapter 3 of Orange, right before the new book club week starts. And as usual, I’ve talked about it in the book club. But for realz… When I started this I wasn’t expecting what this is. SF twist where someone gets letters from their future self. That was about all I knew.

And apparently, I knew nothing. :joy: :sob:

Will probably tackle chapter 4 tomorrow, hopefully all of it. And then I’ll have an almost 2 week break from Orange, since the club is taking a week off between volumes. It’ll give me heart time to grow strong from all the pummeling.

Edit:

Same, same. Especially annoying when it is a word I want to look up and I hoped I wouldn’t have to draw the kanji. :woman_facepalming:

PS. Changed my pfp since that seems all the rage lately. Loopers represented! Hilda for bestie!

23 Likes

I started 裏世界ピクニック :durtle: After my last book was very slice of life-ish I was really in the mood for some monsters and other unrealistic speculative fiction stuff :eyes: I missed that!! This series also has audiobooks for each volume which is great and means I’m for once not ignoring my self imposed temporary ban of books that don’t have them :joy:

I also read a bit of 十角館の殺人, for the natively mystery book club that’s about to start. I usually prefer not to read ahead, but I wanted to

• give myself a bit of a head start since I’m 99% sure I’ll fall behind very early on, since I’m somewhat busy with exams and other stuff aaand
  • gauge the difficulty to check if I even have the slightest chance at keeping up or at least catching up once I have more time

… honestly I’m still not sure :joy: So far this feels a good bit harder than I would have expected based on the natively level 30, I swear 裏世界 (lvl 33) is a lot easier than this??
Seems like a fun book though and pretty much perfect for a book club from a ‘room to speculate’ perspective so I do want to try. I shall attempt to keep up :running_woman: (might definitely hopelessly fail though.)

20 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

Day 29:

…30 minutes left of the day, but I squeezed in a NHK news article just barely. I was at work all day and then immediately went to the apartment and spent the evening painting. I’m so sore and tired, but I had a really great time with my sister. Now I’m going to sleep for 12 hours and hopefully get some actual reading done in the morning.

Speaking as someone who’s spent many, manyyyy years in therapy trying to learn the same thing: this is a big deal. Well done! I’m so happy you were able to do this for yourself.

17 Likes

Today I read 3 pages in the Kanzen Master Reading N2 book and played Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for Nintendo Switch in japanese. Actually I only played the intro which is pretty long. To play the game in japanese the system language of the switch needs to be changed to japanese.

I would have read more but I tried a N3 mock exam in an app which didn’t even work properly two hours wasted. :sob:

20 Likes

July 29th!

Today I read chapter 15 of Happiness, which finished Volume 3. There were a few pages of concept art after the end of the chapter which I really liked seeing. I’m really enjoying the art from this series.

I also read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, it was a very sweet story this week.

(Home Post)

@Belerith - Flying Witch is one of the books I was considering so its great to have it recommended. I also went to check how much it was on Bookwalker today discovered that I picked it up when it was free a while back! So my mind is definitely made up now. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

22 Likes

I read a bit more of 本好き 1 (I just finished the scene where her dad is mad at her for liking オットー and she helps him with math) to give an idea of progress.

I also picked up 遅刻してきた幽霊 (short story collection) after a long break because I just wanted to read a physical book again. I planned to read ~20 pages but the story was such a breeze I read the whole thing (51 pages). The twist was a bit weak, but it was nice enough I suppose. There’s only one short story left in the book and it’s 80 pages, wondering if I can likewise finish it off in a day. 赤川次郎 is such great couch reading.

I haven’t peeked at all but it could just be the case of opening scenes / initial setup being the hardest part of most books. Also don’t worry about falling behind - you can always post a bit late! Especially if others are doing the same you might fall into a good pace with them. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 5

July 29
ルーパーズ

Just did a tiny, very tiny bit today. I was waiting until night to play this because I really enjoy the mood at night, it’s generally the moment of the day I enjoy the most because it’s so quiet and peaceful and I don’t have to deal with anything or anybody at all. But today was one of those nights, apparently, when there’s just constant, annoying noise and distractions everywhere. It kept pulling me out of the mood and it was irritating me more and more so I just decided to close the game and call it a day, because I don’t want to do something fun in that state of mind.

It is what it is, I suppose. Hopefully tomorrow. :sleepy:

21 Likes

:house:
30th of July

Read from page 128 to 131 (36 – 37%) of かがみの孤城. Finally reading in the morning again instead of at almost midnight, lol.

22 Likes

Home

I dunno if it’s just for the song or if that’s his usual singing voice, but Amasaki Kouhei’s singing voice is a lot cuter than expected. So different from when voicing Ochi or Monoma. Anyway, there’s a series of three cover CDs that came out a couple days ago called Re:collection, and he sings さくらんぼ by 大塚愛. I found the official tiktok and listened to the previews and read the comments on some of them. On his, toward the top there’s a lot of ああ、天ちゃん、可愛すぎる!! and the like, but then farther down there’s a couple that are like, かわいいがすぎるんだが, and I’m like, ah, that doesn’t sound like it’s すぎる in a good way. Enoki Junya sings ずっと好きだった by 斉藤和義, and in the comments of the preview for that was the first time I’ve seen かっこかわいい. It’s true though, he is. lol and there’s one person who’s like, “He gives off the vibe that he’s a college student, how is he 33??”

It’s more fun reading (positive) comments in Japanese than in English tbh. idk, they seem more lively, maybe because of all the different ways of writing/expression. Though sometimes people will switch to half-width characters for part of it, which a) I have difficulty reading, and b) why.

I also read episode 3 of 君に届け, finishing vol 1!

16 Likes

July 29 :blossom: Home Post

Finally got a good バディミッションBOND day in! :tada: It feels like it’s been ages haha, it’s really nice to be making real progress again! As predicted, as soon as things started happening again I got sucked in so fast, who could’ve known :laughing: But yeah it was a good time as always, glad to be back in it!

buddy bond!!

A lot happened today; モクマ and フウガ showdown!! He really is a messed up guy, he fully just left his son to think he was an orphan and have his underling deal with him, like… ouch. He got exposed, though; when they went to go confront him シキ sent his little robot along and projected フウガ’s classic villain monologue to the whole village :flushed: Absolutely iconic. HIs mom finding out that he killed his sister’s his son that way… and that he’d been killing all the people who left the village! There was a lot, and then he set the castle on fire, just :sweat_smile: Admittedly his childhood was kind of rough, with him apparently feeling that his dad picked モクマ over him (and also that モクマ avoided him but like wasn’t that because フウガ bullied him?? like yeah obviously he’s not hanging around :sweat_smile:) but man he did a lot of terrible things. And he’s still not the big bad, I don’t even know anymore :joy:

But yeah presumably フウガ’s dead now, partially by モクマ’s hand which he’s having a rough time with:

:cry: チェズレイ talking about how every time モクマ did the 三日月(みかづき) attack thing he hit the exact same spot in people’s shoulders, so even back then when タンバ stepped in and got killed, the blade would’ve just hit フウガ’s shoulder… he never had killing intent even then… ouchies

Anyway on a lighter note, they came across some futons and モクマ said they should have a pillow fight and ルーク didn’t know what that was, so:

Very good :') anything could be a lethal weapon in アーロン’s hands lmao. Adjacently, he and モクマ had a spar fight thing and there was a fun CG:

Look at them being all cool and intense, you’d never expect all the goofs :joy:

I had to investigate because I had in my head that it was called (あま)(がわ) and I was like why would there be two names?? After some googling the conclusion I’ve come to is that the Milky Way itself is specifically (あま)(がわ), and 銀河(ぎんが) is more a general term for galaxy, but it can still be used for the Milky Way the way like if someone talks about “the galaxy” it’s pretty clear what they’re getting at. So yeah have some random extra insight as a result of my rabbit-hole :laughing:

Yeah, Loopers era!! :raised_hands:

21 Likes

:wave: As a former teacher and librarian I really appreciate what y’all have done. It’s take a lot of skill and forethought to write an engaging story with accessible language. Keep up the good work! :high_touch:

4 Likes

Day ???

Woof. It’s been a week. But I just finished カリスタルハンータズ本3! I started 本4, but quickly realized I need to read the guide first so the new grammar doesn’t overwhelm me. The use of そこから right out of the gate had me :face_with_spiral_eyes:, but it is really cool to see a more natural dialogue emerge between characters as I learn more!

I’m honestly not even sure what I’ve read on what days this week. Some days it was a few words (skimming random titles on my Kindle suggestions…which are mostly in Japanese now :joy:), and other days it was a few pages from some books I bought last week. I recognized Kanji here and there and some grammar, but definitely need more support. Ordered a Japanese to English furigana dictionary because some days I just am tired of looking at a screen. Today was my first intentional reading day in a week or so. Now to go crash and try again tomorrow! :sleeping:

22 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

Day 30:

An hour of Zero Escape!! My body hurts from all the painting yesterday, but my brain is still OK, I think… It’s nice to have time for reading in the morning at least.

Zero escape thoughts (spoilers?)

I love these characters, but I’m definitely side-eyeing a lot of them, too. Maybe because there’s KNIVES and THREATS from the get-go. I’m trying to read all the rules but my brain is not a fan… Here’s what I gathered so far (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong):

• To be able to enter a door you need to have the correct amount of people. If you ignore this rule, you will explode. Nice!
  • The only way to remove the wristwatch is to either escape the boat or die.
  • There’s a time limit (that I forgot, but Zero wanted to give them more time than what the passengers on the Titanic got before the ship sunk). Our crew has already spent like 1.5 hours chatting and arguing.
  • ニルス got some special intel because he’s blind? He seems suspicious to me purely because he’s so calm about all of this.

So far my favorite is サンタ I would totally be concerned with getting blood on my shoes, too.

I’ve saved just before deciding which door to enter. I think it’s a decision that impacts which ending I get, so I’m taking recommendations!!

21 Likes

I’ve not been doing very well the last week, and this is my first post in days. But most days I have at least read a page or two, and sometimes a chapter of Shadows house. My worst day was 2 days ago when I had a look at Tugumi and read a grand total of 2 sentences. But I guess I did read?

My excuse is I’m doing 3-4 scuba dives daily, which doesn’t leave much energy for reading. Things will improve next week. I’m going to try to read a bit more of Tugumi to justify bringing the library book to an island in Malaysia…

21 Likes

:green_heart: Home :green_heart:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険22

53 - 63

I reread a bit like I mentioned yesterday. I had a bit of a mental block yesterday and just had problems getting myself started on tasks after work (work was pretty productive). Hopefully I won’t hit that again today, but we’ll see how it is after I try to clear my reviews

21 Likes