📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Read the new chapters of Chainsaw Man and My Hero, the first 4 or 5 chapters of Chainsaw Man, and 2 parts of chapter 2 in 青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩に夢を見ない.

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220727 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll of STS-5 :rocket:

Random article - a space shuttle mission in the 80s.

If you’ve ever wonder how to say NASA in Japanese it’s: アメリカこうくうちゅうきょく

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

SPACEWORDS

乗組員「のりくみいん」ー Crew/crew member
操縦士「そうじゅうし」ー Pilot
離陸時「りりくじ」ー Take-off (also just 離陸)
着陸時「ちゃくりくじ」ー Landing (also just 着陸)
近点「きんてん」ー Periapsis (the closest point in an elliptical orbit).
遠点「えんてん」ー Apoapsis (the furthest point in an elliptical orbit).
軌道傾斜角「きどうけいしゃかく」ー Orbital inclination
軌道周期「きどうしゅうき」ー Orbital period
対地同期軌道「たいちどうききどう」ー Geosynchronous orbit

Forms
徽章 = 記章「きしょう」(Emblem; insignia; medal)
(I love the insignias for space missions and the like, they always make them so cool looking)

19 Likes

Some stuff going on today, so just finished Chapter 3 of よつば&! (p. 104-114).

A few new words

ように: in order to, so that
見損ない (みそこない): to misjudge
省電力 (しょうでんりょく): conservation of electricity
冷やし (ひやし): chilled
うっかり: carelessly, thoughtlessly

18 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

Day 27:

I read a short NHK news easy article just now. I’ve been working all day and suddenly my landlord texted me saying I could pick up the keys to my apartment today, and not on Friday as was the original plan. I’m very tired and excited and feeling many emotions right now, so I’ll be going to bed soon.

I hope all of you have had/will have a wonderful day 27!

23 Likes

July 27th!

Today I read chapter 92 of Yotsuba, in which Yotsuba goes to a yoga class with Fuuka and Shimau. Honestly, it might be my favourite chapter, so many super cute panels and made me laugh several times.

(Home Post)

18 Likes

:tangerine: :books: July 25-27 :books: :tangerine:
(home post)

Orange :tangerine: page 101 → 115 (15 pages) (July 27)

I keep being too preoccupied and busy with other things to feel like reading. Trying to hold multiple things in my head at once. Taking care of someone’s cat, keeping track of the weather to find a good day to mow my lawn (while also making sure cats gets feed correctly), prepping for switching the heating system of my house, prepping for house guests. And it just crowds all the space in my head.

But I managed to get to Orange today. (Did a bit of grazing of Orange on the 25th, but not worth counting as pages read since I just skimmed.) Read about 15 pages of chapter 3, and this manga just keeps being so :sob:

20 Likes

Today I finished 3 chapters in Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind for Nintendo Switch. Aside from that I read 2 pages in the Shin Kanzen Master Reading N2 book. I spend some time on learning japanese grammar today so I didn’t have that much time for reading.

18 Likes

Home post :bookmark: July 27th :sunny:

・ わたしの幸せな結婚 4 (36% → 65%)

Hehe, today I learned how to express “to eat grass along the way”:

Random book thoughts
  • All the characters are so introspective. Makes me reflect on things too.
  • Bleh, misogyny at the workplace. Please, leave the ladies alone.
  • Miyo still doesn’t know how to relationship.
  • Jin’nou’uchi - the suspicious character - I’m watching you :eyes:

Omg yes, the shop keeper :rofl: This fellow expressing まいど! through dramatic opera(?) singing, I love it.

No disco music :mirror_ball: o:

22 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 5

July 27
Chrono Trigger

This kept getting more and more interesting. Then I got to a cool cutscene and I had to straight alt+F4 right at the start of it because it was about to keep me awake playing much longer :joy: . I’ll do it tomorrow.

21 Likes

:green_heart: Home :green_heart:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険22

Start - 51

I thought the fight went much differently LOL. This seems to be a pattern with me and Part 3 that I remember about half of the fight and then forget the second half. I blame the anime’s bad pacing? :sweat_smile:

Mariah went from uh, scary(?) to uh, interesting(?) to pretty in this stretch.

Also, JoJo is most definitely a very straight manga also for the straightest of heterosexuals. Clearly.
The anime did good with animating the scene. They understood certain parts of the assignment very well.
as a side note, I like that when Joseph and Avdol are embarrassed, it’s not that they’re embarrassed by their actions, but rather they’re embarrassed over people seeing. it’s a minor but important distinction imo

20 Likes

July 27 :blossom: Home Post

I played some more バディミッションBOND today! Not a whole lot, but progress is progress :man_shrugging: I learned that dogs and monkeys are kind of the equivalent metaphor for fighting like cats and dogs? Like 犬猿(けんえん)(なか) means being on really bad terms. According to some googling it comes from the story of the zodiac, pretty interesting: “犬猿の仲”になったイヌとサルの由来はなんと元旦の挨拶から – ニッポン放送 NEWS ONLINE

I accidentally spent a decent amount of time preparing a mandarake order :laughing: I’m not finalizing it until voting for the mystery book club ends, but what’s almost certainly gonna be the pick for it is way cheaper and more accessible there than cdjapan so! As much as I really want to read ノッキンオン・ロックドドア, I can’t justify making my book club-excuse order that much more expensive and complicated just for that :joy: So cdjapan will be a future thing! For now I just need to pare down this order a bit, but it’s gonna have some really cool stuff so I’m excited :grin:

Oof yeah that sure would be a problem :joy: I’ll have to remember not to wear magnetic shoes on the escalator :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh congrats, that’s super exciting! I hope it all goes well :grin:

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 27: July 27th :hibiscus: :blossom:

Each day this week I tell myself, “I may be too busy to read much today, but I’ll be able to read a lot tomorrow.” Then I end up with even less time for reading the next day… (But tomorrow’s looking good!)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 5 (17% ➨ 24%)

19 Likes

Home

The person I messaged yesterday doesn’t allow translations of their fanworks, as derivative works are a grey area. I’m a bit disappointed tbh but I understand. I guess I won’t be creating an ebw-translations pseud on AO3 anytime soon.

Their message ended up being the only thing I read in JP today, aside from a couple manga summaries on Amazon, as I spent much of the day working on a fic. (And not even one of my million already-started ones! It’s yet another new one! Oh, well, at least I finished it.)

16 Likes

Finished chapter 2 of 青春ブタ野郎はプチデビル後輩に夢を見ない and volume 2 of Chainsaw Man. Been averaging about 2 parts a day with Seishunbuta, but I think chapters get shorter from here.

My poor eyes need a break from reading so much though. I finished animal farm and still need to read Lord of the Rings before bed. T-T

18 Likes

In Japanese? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I’m reading it in English. After reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in Japanese I felt I lost the flavor of the dialogue, because British japanese doesn’t work in my brain xD

4 Likes

Ah I see :sweat_smile: I once tried to read it in English (which is not my mother tongue) but I couldn’t get past the 100+ page initial history rundown, it was just too tedious back then. Actually, it was still pretty tough in my native language, I thought :grin:

1 Like

:house:
28th of July

I was in a location that had practically no reception, without my laptop from Monday to Wednesday, so I missed about four days. Today I read pages 123 and 124 (34 – 35%) of かがみの孤城.

At the end of last week I was feeling extremely demotivated and sluggish, so in all honesty I’m glad to have a sort of reset.

17 Likes

I enjoyed the opening rundown but I had just finished reading the Hobbit (in English) so I was already in the headspace to learn about the world.

Its tough because not only are you working with British English, you’re also working with an older writing style, so words that used to mean one thing don’t mean that anymore. CS Louis had strong opinions on that, because it made older books unreadable. Like the word Gentleman meant that the person owned land and had a coat of arms for their family name, but in time it just came to mean a man who was gentle. Which would be confusing if you read someone is a Gentleman but is an evil character in a story.

5 Likes

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 27

Another super busy day at work :confounded: I managed to play some バリバリ for 1:20 h. Can’t wait for the workweek to be over so I can do more things.

15 Likes