📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

If you like you can move your review over to the The Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge page and we can discuss it there? That way it won’t get lost as easily…

7 Likes

Good point, I’ll do that later today. I thought of writing there actually, but it’s not really a review, just rambling thoughts, and that challenge is also about many books. It gets far fewer posts though, so as you say, it won’t get lost.
I’ll also reply to @Myria there. Lots to think about!
I’m very much looking forward to the second story! :smiley:

7 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220719 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll of 下吉谷駅 :station:

Random article - about a tiny little train station that got all forgotten about with the passing of time :cry:

I like to imagine that little spirits and stuff still use all these forgotten abandoned stations (basically, Ghibli movie).

Station

Littlestationchan
Just do this in watercolour and it is straight out of a Ghibli movie.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Learnthings

交換可能「こうかんかのう」ー Exchangeable; convertible; transferable
閉塞「へいそく」ー Blockage; blockade; obstruction; stoppage

@omk3 glad to hear that your dog is okay!!

23 Likes

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 13

Snuck in like 10 pages of 青のフラッグ before sleeping since I had basically no free time due to trip preparations.

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 14

Somehow played バリバリ for 30 min even though I was away, while waiting for people to get ready.

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 15 / 16 / 17

Was too busy attending a friend’s wedding and being away with friends I hadn’t seen in a long time so I didn’t have time to read (I barely even slept), but it was for a worthy cause.

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 18

Finished chapter 3 of 青のフラッグ.

With the break I’m a bit behind with my goals and I haven’t been able to start reading the VN for the club but hopefully I can get back on track this week (although the heatwave doesn’t want me to).

26 Likes

Ha, funny enough, I started reading this series recently too! You’re well ahead of me though. I’ve only been reading one of the little chapter breaks a day, so I only just reached section 2 of the second chapter.

6 Likes

:cake: :books: July 19 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café :cake: page 36 → 44 (9 pages)

Read chapter 3, and it ended so soon. I forgot that chapter 2 was unusually long for this book, so I forgot that future chapters should be easier to finish in one night. It makes me more confident I can read this before the offshoot club starts on volume 2.

Still like Aiko-san (aunt) so much. She’s a super smart person. Recognizing that it is so much more valuable to do things yourself. Even if it feels like a lot to put on Hanabi. Well, I’ll see tomorrow how it goes.

And also about yesterday. :sweat_smile: So for context, I go to bed around 1 am every night. But yesterday at 10 pm, I was nodding off while sitting up. So I gave up and went to bed, not reading any Japanese. I’ve been so tired for maybe a week now, which is why I wasn’t too surprised that it finally came to that.

I need to take better care of my sleep. Because if it doesn’t clear up with better sleep, I might have to look into other causes for the tiredness, and I’d rather just be sleep depraved. I’m hoping I’ve just neglected my sleep so much my body is like ENOUGH. (This is not the first time this has happened… :sweat: Me not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Watch me be up waaay too late tonight, like the idiot I so often am about matters like this. Promise I will do my best not to be like that. :sweat_smile:

@omk3 I’m so glad your doggo is alright. <3

27 Likes

July 19th!

Today I read chapter 87 of Yotsuba. Lots of cuteness and fun to see her interacting with her grandmother.

Right now my bookclubs all start their new week on a Friday, so I read all of my bookclub stuff first and then spend the rest of the week reading Yotsuba. Now that I only have 2 volumes and 3 chapters left I really need to start thinking about what to fill my non-bookclub days with…

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Home Post
Hello, everyone. I’m ZDurendal (or CyberSlam if the name change hasn’t happened yet). I enjoyed doing the winter challenge, so I want to try doing the summer challenge too. I also need some motivation to consume native material. I hope I’ll be able understand a little more of the readings now that I’ve used my free month of Bunpro. Best of luck to everyone.

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Updates
  • July 21st - Couple pages of それでも歩は寄せてくる
  • July 26th - Chapter 1 and 2 of それでも歩は寄せてくる
Reading List
28 Likes

Home post :bookmark: July 19th :sunny:

・ わたしの幸せな結婚 2 (93% → 100%)
Finished book! Tags @Naphthalene for there was 初々しい :eyes: (cf. yurucamp vol. 6)

Very random (read: incoherent) book thoughts (spoilers ahoy)

New characters were interesting. Especially the one you think is super sus (which he turned out to be), but there’s a twist! (separate spoiler tags) He’s actually nakama after all.

The number one highest person on the social rank (soon-to-be-emperor) has the name 堯人 (たかいひと)??? Please don’t tell me this is an actual name :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

Plot: Could feel some plot armor stuff going on. But hey, I’m not complaining :laughing:

The very last chapter before the atogaki was cute uwu. I’d write more but sleep is calling :zzz:

・詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (71% → 75%)
Procrastinated the whole day, but got around to it in the end :caught_durtling: Goal for this week is ca. 87%. Will start earlier tomorrow!

26 Likes

I see you are reading それでも歩は寄せてくる. If you didn’t know, that series has a book club running on the forums. We are currently on Volume 7, but previous discussion threads are available, if you end up needing some kind of a study aid while you read through the series! Good luck with the challenge!!

Also, sorry, I’ll stop posting non-topical replies now. :laughing:

11 Likes

Book stuffs in the reading thread?! how dare
No such thing :wink:

13 Likes

Today I read the first short story in Short Stories in Japanese: New Penguin Parallel Text, which was just two pages long and then two pages Shin Kanzen Master Reading N2.

23 Likes

It’s an actual name, although I don’t think anyone in their right mind would give it to their kid… That being said, people do actually give names like 帝 to their kids, so it probably happens.

7 Likes

Yeah I try to do that at minimum but some of those breaks just never come lol. So for time sometimes I just stop when a sentence ends on the second page. Each chapter is about 70 pages when I looked, so next time I read through I’ll probably take that into consideration. This time was just when I have time to read, try to get to the break.

2 Likes

i had a bad day yesterday, mental-health-wise. and had just finished Kase-san, so didn’t really have anything i could just pick up and read (i mean, there’s that LN, but let’s not talk about that :wink: ). decided to, very late in the day, see if amazon would give me any suggestions. so most of my “reading” was spent on the amazon website. very different from reading a book or manga, but probably also a useful skill, getting around websites in japanese.

finally picked out アネモネ, another teenage love-story between girls.

self-reflective rambling

i’ve been asking myself why i’m so drawn to these stories? i’ve never read love-stories before, and as a teenager i’d have scoffed at anybody suggesting i might ever want to read such. but today remembered that i was a deeply unhappy, incredibly lonely teen, dealing with problems i wouldn’t wish on anyone. and my one teenage love ended in a traumatic fashion, for both of us. perhaps i’m looking for some kind of healing, at this much later point?

i’ve read two chapters of アネモネ now, and i’m liking it. the tone is rather more somber than the other manga i’ve read, and though i hope for a happy end, i fear it might get a bit dark first. Mashiro, the love-interest, has some so-far unknown sickness. in the first 2 chapters there’s already been 3 scenes in the school sick-room, including the opening/framing scene, which seemed to indicate that they would both get way to familiar with that room.

i’ve also decided to read this a little more intensively than the last few manga. i’m looking up more kanji, paying a bit more attention to the grammar. finding a balance between fuller understanding and disrupting the flow.

and now it’s 1 am, i’m still sitting outside in a light t-shirt, and the crickets are loud enough that i hear them through my headphones (i swear we didn’t have crickets like this when i was a kid!). the air is hazy with humidity, it’s going to be a very warm night. but it’s nice to ramble on in the darkness like this ^^

27 Likes

Hey everyone.

I really like your reading challenge, great idea; still as a more or less “total beginner” level I couldn’t participate with reading stories and books like you do. Therefore maybe a silly question, but do you feel like working with Genki 1 would also count? It has some introductory dialogue to read, most of the exercises require reading (though I could see how this might feel like “not counting”), plus from the third chapter onwards it has a small coherent reading exercise for every lesson as well.

Would you feel okey if I participated in here using those? Or would you feel that this is silly and doesn’t belong here?

19 Likes

Reading anything, as long as it’s Japanese, counts. Some people also include studying other non-native languages.

26 Likes

I love that you’re already considering making your cats indoor ones. May I recommend making a catio (cat patio) if your living situation allows it? Otherwise, I highly recommend leash training future kitties! If you get them young, it’s a lot easier to get them used to leashes and some cats love them. Either way, indoor life will greatly help them live longer and healthier.

7 Likes

I think I recall someone else using Genki before for this challenge or the extensive reading one. Either way, like pocketcat said, go for it! :tada:

7 Likes

:green_heart: Home :green_heart:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険20

145 - 178

I was actually excited for Oingo Boingo :smiling_face_with_tear: Actually excited

Well, because of the structure, showing events as if they’re in a children’s book, the writing style is completely different and a pain in the ass to read :sob:

I’ll get over it, but I don’t have to like it. Hopefully the shenanigans are still enjoyable.

Also, I had wanted to finish off the volume last night, but I fell asleep (holding my aircon remote to boot lmao). Just about 20 pages left, so I’ll probably try to start the next volume tomorrow as well. :triumph:

23 Likes