📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

September 5th.

Today I read Chapter 2 of Haruiro Astronaut, which is included at the end of Volume 2 of Orange.
I found it a little difficult to follow because its about twins and I kept on mixing up which twin was which :sweat_smile:
I managed to work it all out in the end, but it meant it took me much longer to read than I expected.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険28

151 - end (192?)

Part 3 complete! I feel a bit bummed. I’m not sure if it’s because of the last 40 pages not being quite as flashy as the previous ones, if it’s because (deserved) things happened to my favorite character, or just real life events leaking into my feelings.

I’ve decided that I’ll try reading Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan next. I don’t know if it’ll be harder than regular JoJo volumes because it’s short stories with bizarre things happening or if the brevity will make it easier. Either way, I’ll give it a go and if it turns out to be harder, I’ll switch over to Part 5 as I had planned in the beginning of the year.

20 Likes

September 5 :blossom: Home Post

Managed a decent reading session today :grin: it’s becoming clear that my reading habits this semester are very different than they were over the summer, but that’s okay! 跡を消す has been a nice low-pressure read to sneak in. I’m a little sad about falling behind on book clubs but yeah I just don’t think that’s happening right now :joy: I’ll circle back around eventually!

20 Likes

I did manage to continue reading until the end of August, but nit post it here -
And since then work’s got too busy.
I need to find some time to finish off ハピネス vol2 (i’m currently at p170, so not too far to go), but feeling very tired - an afternoon nap might be in order….

I’ve enjoyed this challenge, even with joining late, and it certainly motivated me to do a lot more reading, and have fun with it - thank you all. :pray:

21 Likes

Finished chapter 2 today of 青ブタ8. I didn’t have the energy to do anymore today though. I’ve been going pretty hard the last few days so finishing the remaining pages today was enough.

19 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 67: September 5th :whale2: :desert_island:

Me the other day: “No new manga until I clear out some I haven’t been reading as much.”

Me last night: “I didn’t know the ななか6/17 anime was based on a manga. And volume one is free on Kobo. And volumes two through six are 11円 each.”

Looks like I have some incentive to clear a bit of what’s on my plate.

📇 藤代さん系。 Volume 2 (89% ➨ 100%)

I was specifically planning not to continue reading this series after finishing this volume.

I often don’t know who’s speaking, and it feels like the characters are just going in circles without anything really happening. Even the introduction of a third main character didn’t help with that much.

And I always struggle to read when a mangaka draws ears like this:

But then on the second-to-last page of the volume, with a change in seats in class, it looks like things are about to get interesting. On top of that, one of the minor characters looks like he’ll be a second-tier character. With these, I may just have to pick up the third volume now…

Of course, if I read the third volume, then I may as well pick up the fourth, as it’s a four-volume series.

spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (52% ➨ 60%)

22 Likes

i kind of crashed at the end of the month and didn’t read anything for a couple of days. but then in the last three days i did a huge push, and finally finished やがて君になる 佐伯沙弥香について. just yesterday i read almost 50 pages, by far the most i’ve read in a single day.

and it was good! by far the best part of the LN series.

i’ll continue reading, of course, but i think this is my adieu to this challenge. see you all in a month :smiley:

23 Likes

September 5 and 6 :heavy_check_mark: :mag:

十角館の殺人, chapter 4
Grammar :あるいは, あるまじき…だ、あれで、あれでも、あんまり

Finished chapter 4 of 十角館の殺人 and the plot thickens. Apart from the mystery itself, which is quite complex and interesting at this point, I’m enjoying the frequent references to classic mysteries, mystery writers, and techniques of Western literature.

In grammar I finished all entries beginning with あ. Out of those, あるまじき was new for me. I was surprised あんまり had its own separate entry, when it was for the most part exactly the same as あまり.

I may still have time to read today, and in any case it’s only Tuesday and I’m caught up with both book clubs I’m participating in for the week. I’d like to read ahead in 十角館の殺人, but I won’t do so - I want to be able to take part in the speculation without fear of spoilers. I have two more books I haven’t yet finished that I could go back to, or I could continue reading ahead in Tugumi. I’ve found that I don’t particularly enjoy reading several books at once and having to interrupt reading one to continue another, it takes me out of the story too much. So I guess I’d better focus on finishing Tugumi before starting or continuing anything else. We’ll see.

22 Likes

Heh, I’m the opposite - I love reading multiple things at once. It’s kind of like eating a meal with lots of side dishes. I like the books to be fairly different from each other for this reason too. The variety is what makes it fun.

… It also works better when I’m in a mood and don’t want to read something. “OK so X is out, but I still have Y and Z going.”

14 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220906 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 18.67% :open_book:

Wagahai-cat gets teased with a hanky (amidst much conversation).

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

襟髪「えりがみ」ー Scruff of the neck
草双紙「くさぞうし」ー Ukiyo-e illustrated literature, popular in the Edo-Meiji period.
御転婆「おてんば」ー Tomboy
飄然「ひょうぜん」ー Casually; aimlessly; detached; aloof
偏屈「へんくつ」ー Narrow-minded; obstinate; bigoted; perverse
首実検「くびじっけん」ー Checking a person’s identity (comes from identifying someone from a severed head and has quite the history)
月並「つきなみ」ー Every month; commonplace; trite; conventional (also: 月並み)
稽古「けいこ」ー Practice; training; study
乾燥無味「かんそうむみ」ー Dryness; dullness
超凡「ちょうぼん」ー Extraordinary
男振り 「おとこぶり」ー Handsomeness; manliness (looks)

Forms
攫む = 掴む「つかむ」(to seize; to catch; to grab)
焚く = 焼く「やく」(to burn)

20 Likes

September 6th!

I read Chapter 35 of Mitsuboshi Colors today. It was a fairly simple read, though it had quite a few words I needed to look up or work out from context (they were about fashion modelling , which is not something I talk about in Japanese very often!)

(Home Post)

18 Likes

I haven’t really been keeping a note of my reading last few days, partly because the main challenge is over and partly since I was packing for holiday.

With travelling on and off for the last 48 hours, I’ve caught up in my reading a bit. I’m now a bit ahead on some clubs and still behind with Tugumi. I’ve also finished volume 1 of Orange - I’m starting volume 2 without finishing the extra chapter at the end, I’ll probably catch up with that later.

20 Likes

I went ahead and finished the first part of chapter 1 last night. I am mostly trying now to figure out when my brain is most ready and willing to read. Commuting, lunch and before bed seem to be the only times I can get myself to do it (which is a lot of time) but any times outside of that seem to be impossible to get anything read. While I am walking, I have been listening to the audiobook of previous chapters I read just to challenge myself to recognize what part of the book it was and maybe recognize words without looking at them. Seems to be a pretty good mix of listening and reading.

15 Likes

I spent the past few days trying to find something new to read now that I finished Monkeys. I read about a dozen pages of 推し、燃ゆ but realized that was way over my level. I was looking up way too many words in every sentence and lots of unknown kanji, making it take a lot longer than I’d like to read something so I put it on hold for now.

After that, I gave 推しのラブより恋のラブ a try and found it to be a much easier read so I think I will continue with this. Its a yuri game where the MC is addicted to some gacha she is playing and while “confessing” to one of the characters, another girl thought the confession was for her and things get interesting from there :grin:

The art style is really cute in this VN too

20 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

岸辺露伴(きしべろはん)(うご)かない 1

start - 15

I already want to slap Rohan.

Episode 16 - the Confessional
I’ve watched the anime version and many of the live action episodes, but I didn’t realize how sporadically numbered these spinoff one shots are. Why is this one 16?? Volume 1 contains 16, 2, 5 and 6.

Like I said, I want to slap Rohan. In the beginning he goes on and on about Catholic Confessionals (he’s visiting a church) and is narrating his own actions. There’s also a separate narrator. And a guy who narrates his confession. Are you seeing my problem? Even with the framing, it feels like too much telling, not enough showing. I almost dropped it because I thought it was obnoxious, but it seems the other episodes tone it down. That gives me the impression that this is the first spin off episode that Araki made, but then it has the number 16 which then feels arbitrary unless it’s intended to note the order in which Araki thought these episodes up? That’s relatable since I number mine similarly.

Anyhow, it seems like I need to slog through this episode and then the rest will hopefully be better.

I’m tempted to look up when each episode came out because the style of the first/16 looks very similar to Part 5 and then the rest look more like 7/8’s style (although I’m not overly familiar with them).

18 Likes

September 6 :blossom: Home Post

Still just fitting in a few pages of 跡を消す where I can, maintenance mode!! I miss the wild reading days of summer but it’s all good, I’ll get there again eventually :grin:

18 Likes

The confessional came last in my Netflix list but gave the impression it was actually the first episode. So I was really confused by that since I had watched the other episodes beforehand and was just kind of along for the ride.

EDIT: Actually I checked last night and it was THE RUN that was the last episode that felt like the first. the Confession was the 1st episode but felt like the last. I had it backwards.

5 Likes

Home

Yesterday:

I finished HQ vol 17 and read 5 chapters of vol 18. The bad thing about this match is we get Tendou. I don’t like him, he kinda gives me the creeps. Tsukishima in this match, though. Man, he’s so great. I love him so much.

Y’know, I don’t know who my favorite character in this series is. I know it’s almost certainly one of the autistic ones, but I dunno who. “Almost certainly,” because I don’t think Suga’s autistic and he’s definitely in the running. Tsukki, Kageyama, Ushijima, Akaashi, Kita…

Some vocab of note:

笊 (ザル) [noun] something full of holes
替え玉 (かえだま) [noun] second serving of noodles (to add to one’s remaining ramen broth)
有言実行 (ゆうげんじっこう) [四字熟語, noun, する verb] carrying out one’s words; being as good as one’s word; making good on one’s promise
手がつけられない [expression, い-adj.] out of control; out of hand; unmanageable; nothing one can do
ぎゃふんと言わせる [expression, 一] to argue (someone) into silence
一糸乱れぬ (いっしみだれぬ) [expression, prenominal] perfectly ordered; perfectly coordinated
助太刀 (すけだち) [noun, する verb (他)] assistance (in a fight); help; aid; backup. helper; supporter.

Today:

I really don’t get how Bookmeter’s 相性 works. It’s showing my #1 person at 330% compatibility now. They’re also reading Yuukoku no Moriarty though, so uh, yeah, I don’t think so.

I finished HQ vol 18 and read 6 chapters of vol 19. I’d wanted to finish this volume too, but I got distracted doing other things, and now it’s midnight and I’m tired.

Man, I loved that scene where Tsukki gets fired up over finally having blocked one of Ushijima’s spikes in the anime, but just. reading that

——たかがブロック一本
たかが25点中の1点
たかが部活

and then that big two-page spread of him celebrating? Man, that was so great. This match is so great. (And then Aki being so proud of him, especially for finding his place on the team, that he starts crying )

Some vocab of note:

後手に回る (ごてにまわる) [expression, ラ五] to be forestalled; to fall behind; to be one step behind
往復ビンタ (おうふくビンタ) [noun] double slap in the face (the second slap administered by the return motion of the back of the hand)
劣る (おとる) [自ラ五] to be inferior to; to be less good at; to fall behind
付け焼き刃 (つけやきば) [noun] thin veneer; hasty preparation; knowledge or skill learned as a stopgap. The original meaning refers to the retempering of a dull blade so that it looks sharp but is actually unusable.

14 Likes

The live action order of episodes also seems really arbitrary. I just checked and the ova is as well :thinking:
Manga

OVA (wiki needs to stop with the summaries…)

Live Action
From behind is interestingly the Cheap Trick plot which appears in Part 4. I’m not sure what the Kushagara episode is about, I’ve only seen the last minute or two of it twice.

I’m really surprised that The Confessional came out during Part 5’s publication. The style is certainly closer to Part 5 than Part 4 imo but it’s odd. Like did Araki just happen to have the time to put out a whole extra chapter?

Just did some more research. Chapter 510’s date is June 23, 1997 and then chapter 511 is July 14, 1997 and then 513’s is July 28, 1997 but these cover dates differ from the instore dates which suddenly start appearing with 515 being in store also on July 28, 1997 according to this wiki

I kind of get it since the September edition of Ultra Jump is avail in August, but it’s rather confusing. Given the publication dates though, it looks like Araki took a short break?? But I’ve also heard he’s never taken a break/missed a deadline during Parts and only takes breaks between them???

It looks like the Hill episode came out during Steel Ball Run and presumably many of the other episodes came out during JoJolion… with the exception of episodes 10 and 11 which are recent and in between JoJolion and the mysterious Part 9.

I feel like I need to call on a JoJo Otaku senpai to see what they know :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Also forget my theory about episode number being about concept order. Hot Summer Martha (10) is based on Covid so that logic doesn’t fit

10 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 68: September 6th :squid: :blowfish:

Super-small reading day today.

spacer:plunger: スーパーマリオくん Volume 1 (60% ➨ 70%)

17 Likes