📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 53: August 22nd :crab: :beach_umbrella:

👧 からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (17% ➨ 24%)

We’re still in summer, right?

🦸‍♂️ SUPERMAN vs飯 スーパーマンのひとり飯 Volume 1 (0% ➨ 20%)

I wasn’t planning on starting any new series, but some DC comics came up as free (through September 5th) and I wanted to check them out. First up is…Superman vs 飯.

I’ve been having trouble with remembering 編集(へんしゅう), but it looks like maybe Perry White will help me out.

This is the first time I’ve seen this expression, 「お(なか)(むし)」.

I’m going with item 3 on this list…

Clark encounters Lois on his way out and invites her to lunch with him. She turns him down, as she’s heading to France for a story. Clark narrates about how previously he’d be down for a while when this happens, but now he’s super at peace.

He changes to Superman and flies off to Japan because there’s a yakitori chain restaurant he’s been meaning to try.

And thanks to Japan’s newfound cosplay culture, even Superman doesn’t have to feel out of place wearing his costume.

Why yes, I am good at reading katakana.

Lessons so far:

1. Superman uses (ぼく).

2. Steppenwolf speaks in katakana and likes to attack supermarket parking lots. (Had to check with a friend on who this is, as I don’t know very many Superman villains.)

As an origin story of sorts, Superman saved a man in a toriyaki food truck during Steppenwolf’s attack, and the vendor gave Superman some toriyaki as thanks. Superman totally loved it, and that started his quest to eat Japanese food.

I normally avoid “food manga” (as I’m not much of a food person), but as something of a comedic take on Superman, I’m enjoying this so far.

If this were a random high school girl having a meal, this would be the most boring manga ever for me. The power of Superman. (But let’s see how I feel after a few chapters.)

Somehow the chapter took me an hour to read when it’s only 30 pages. I didn’t even realize so much time passed by!

If these and the other two DC comics are free for 14 days, and the chapter counts are Superman: 7 chapters, Batman: 1 chapter + start of chapter 2, and Joker: likewise 1 chapter + start of chapter 2, it looks like I have plenty of time to get through them all.

I intended to get to this week’s second chapter of Shadows House today, but that was before I saw Superman is free for two weeks…

This is why I recently decided to avoid starting any new series until I finish a couple.

(Then I just started a new series today…)

25 Likes