📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

21 - 33

I didn’t end up rereading yesterday’s pages, but I have the feeling I’ll probably reread this volume sooner rather than later (or more like next year), so I think that it’ll be more worthwhile to see how much easier it is to read then. I was also really tired again (accidently stayed up until 3am), but I read more than I had expected to.

25 Likes

i had trouble falling asleep last night, so after tossing and turning for a bit, i grabbed my kindle and started reading the third volume of the やが君 LN.

it picks up quite a bit later, Sayaka’s in her second year of uni. so for the first time in this series we don’t actually know what’s going to happen. and she’s got a girlfriend! or at least there’s a girl she refers to as 彼女. which of course can also just be a 3rd person pronoun, but they’re in an animated conversation about feelings, with lots of gazing into each other’s eyes. and the girlfriend is all like 「だから沙弥香のことが大好き」and Sayaka is like: and half-way through the second year, i confessed my love to her.

but of course, this is just framing. we move back a bit, summer of her second year, she’s met this first-year student, ハル. though Sayaka is perhaps a little overly formal, and insists on using her surname. ハル has her own apartment and is super happy with it, which kind of stuns Sayaka, who totally wouldn’t want to leave the comfort of her home (a traditional japanese house). i think ハル is perhaps a bit of a manic pixie dream girl, not my favourite trope. in any case, ハル is definitely flirting with Sayaka, who’s perhaps being a little naive about it, in particular about ハル inviting her to her apartment…

but in any case, Sayaka seems to be happy, for pretty much the first time in the series. or in the manga. her voice feels much more lively.

it’s a strange thing, how on the one hand i’m really still struggling to read. 10 pages an hour is a good rate for me. but on the other hand, i can feel the emotions in the voice. fun times :smiley:

23 Likes

Home

Went to Kinokuniya for an early birthday present and bought 11 books, so now I’m gonna have to be responsible and read even more before I buy more books. Though, granted, 3 of them are JJK LNs that I’m not gonna read for a while anyways, but still.

買った本

I actually found every volume I was missing of よつばと! except for vol 11! And I got lucky with JJK 0 actually being the novelization because uh I didn’t realize that until later (I forgot what the cover looked like and I’m blind and didn’t see the “ノベライズ”) and I forgot I’d ordered 0 through TOM with my bday coupon (still dunno whether they actually have it or not though, and if it takes like 6 months to even be shipped like last time, I am going. to die.), and even though I’d made a note of it in my book list, I didn’t see it. So yeah.

They did have Blue Period too, but not the first volume, and I was already buying quite a bit too, so I decided not to get any this time.

And I think buying this number of books wouldn’t have cost much more than ordering them on Amazon because shipping, so I guess the price markup isn’t that bad as long as you’re buying in-store. Dunno what their shipping is like on the US site, but I doubt I’ll be using it.

Update 08/22: Actually, I had recently ordered all 7 of the re-release volumes of リベロ革命(レボリューション) off Kinokuniya JP since Amazon JP doesn’t have most of them for international shipping and Kinokuniya only had 1 or 2 copies of each of them, and today they finished the process of verifying the stock and getting them together and shipping them, and the total was just under $60. I dunno what the shipping would’ve been on Amazon so I dunno which would’ve ended up being cheaper, but the books themselves were a little cheaper on Kinokuniya. But those 7 books + shipping cost about half of these 11 books, so, hm. Yeah, the markup’s a little…

Very tired today, so I only read ch 58 of HQ.

26 Likes

August 20 :blossom: Home Post

Not as tired as I was yesterday when I forgot to change the date :joy: but I still put off reading until pretty late so not a whole lot, but I still finished off the first volume of クールドジ男子! Seems to be my go-to when I don’t have brain energy for anything else :laughing: It’s very fun and cute, and all the art is just so nice to look at. Good times :grin: but hopefully tomorrow I can get some more substantial reading in!

21 Likes

I managed four more pages of Yotsuba& today, I think that’s all I’ll get time for, work starts again tomorrow, and so much to do before then…

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 51: August 20th :crab: :diving_mask:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 1 (62% ➨ 70%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 2 (29% ➨ 49%)

spacer:page_facing_up: orange Volume 1 (0% ➨ 2%)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (0% ➨ 10%)

Something new today: I’m trying out reading the orange novelization to see if I can build stamina at reading without pictures. For this, I’m using the icon :page_facing_up:, as opposed to the manga where I’m using :tangerine:.

25 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 21st:

20 pages of 好きっていいなよ! I think my WK leeches are slowly going away… I’ve been working on them for a couple weeks now with no new lessons, but I am getting bored. I think it’s time to start learning new things.

23 Likes

Aug 21, Sun of Week 8 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

For Hunter x Hunter, actually I finished Vol.2, but that isn’t enough to catch up with anime. (Currently finished EP.17, and the vol 2 is around half of EP.14.) I would continue to watch the anime, but not decided for the manga.

I picked up March Comes Like a Lion, and I like the drama (or the storyline). Finished only Ch.1 so far. The article at end of Ch.1 is readable so far, but I might have to look up persons later. I need to look up several vocabularies at the third half of that page.

I also purchased Spice and Wolf Vol.1. This one is OK to read, but a little troubled by the shear length (almost 50 pages in Ch.1). Finished the prologue, nonetheless. There might indeed be an “interesting” factor, but I would need to take a taste first.

TUGUMI isn’t dropped completely, might be read later. But probably not Night Cafe, although I might re-read the first vol.

I installed Wikipedia app on my mobile Android, and made it randomize Japanese articles. They are usually somewhat difficult to read for now, but the browsing experience is good.

Grammar-wise, I have bought Tobira. I should have an older version of this one, but I have lost it. It is easier to do than the grammar workbook directly, or output prompt workbooks.

22 Likes

Today: p. 53-84 of よつば& Vol. 2.

Newish words

ごそごそ with a rustling sound, rummaging
がらがら with a clatter, with a rattle
我が物顔 (わがものがお) looking/acting like you own the place
わざわざ taking the trouble to…
特別 (とくべつ) special, extraordinary
選ぶ (えらぶ) to choose
あんまし it’s not very…
内緒 (ないしょ) secrecy
着陸 (ちゃくりく) landing
恐ろしい (おそろしい) dreadful
鬼 (おに) ogre, demon

Today is the last day of my summer vacation! I will have to make some serious adjustments to my study schedule in the coming weeks, but I’ve found from past experience that I won’t know exactly what will work until I try it. I’m hoping to read at least a little every day until the end of August.

24 Likes

Haven’t been updating recently because I’m still playing Persona 3 Portable xD same game different day. Though, yesterday was what I am now labeling a “Brain Rot Day” where while I might be doing stuff in Japanese it neither moves me forward or backward. In this case I was just doing Tartaros until I reached the limit, yes there was some reading, but it was stuff I either didn’t need or didn’t care about. But I am still doing that.

23 Likes

Hoping for an offshoot club too.

Yesterday I read over half of Spy x Family mission 6.

Today has been bad work wise (was awake for a lot of the night on-call then slept till midday and straight to work). Getting home I’m really struggling to focus. So I’ve looked at the start of シャドーハウス volume 2 just to read something with my very tired brain.

24 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220821 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 7.34% :japanese_ogre:

The cat bowl is empty. This causes Wagahai-cat to have an existential crisis. He must stoop to eating some Zouni, but it contains mochi, the relentless demon of stickyness, the 餅の魔. All he can do now is pray for divine providence to save him.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

横丁「よこちょう」ー Side street; back street; alley
沢庵「たくあん」ー Pickled daikon (also: 沢庵漬「たくあんづけ」, though more likely to see as: たくあん漬け)
境遇「きょうぐう」ー One’s circumstances/environment/situation
膠着「こうちゃく」ー Adhesion; agglutination; standstill; deadlock; stalemate
刹那「せつな」ー Moment; instant; Kshana (Buddhism)
躊躇「ちゅうちょ」ー Hesitation; indecision
毫も「ごうも」ー Not in the least/slightest
躍起「やっき」ー Desperate; frantic; worked up
天祐「てんゆう」ー Divine aid

Old Names for Places
巴理「パリ」ー Paris

Additional
麺麭「めんぼう」(bread)
Came across this the other day but must have completely blanked over the furigana given, because here instead of めんぼう it gives just パン as furigana.

25 Likes

This was one of my favourite sections in the book :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:star2: :video_game: August 18-21 :video_game: :star2:
(home post)

Super Mario Odyssey :star2: (except on August 19th when I did nothing)

I haven’t updated for a few days. Partly because I haven’t felt like I’ve had anything to update with. I’ve played some SMO, finishing off the main story and I’m now in the extensive post game.

I’ve been keeping up with WK. But instead of reading more serious things (like manga :joy:), I’ve been doing other things. No particular reason.

But it has felt right to relax a bit. I expect the trend will turn eventually. I’ve been spending time on some other hobbies.

Although the trend might not change this coming week because I just decided to start digging into health stuff, food stuff specifically, and the amount of emotional baggage I have there is… astounding. But it is past time to untangle some of that. I want to feel comfortable and safe with food and my own choices. I want to eat cookies without guilt. I want my body to feel good after I finish a meal. So yeah, my emotions will be spiking high on the intensity scale for a while, I predict…

24 Likes

Today I just read the next story in ボッコちゃん What do you do if a deep hole in the ground opens. Of course you throw all your trash inside. The people in this story thought that would be a great idea. But it ended badly for them.

22 Likes

August 21st!

Today I read Chapter 3 of Yoru Cafe Volume 2. It was a shorter chapter than usual at around 7 pages long, which made it much more readable for me than usual :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

25 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 21st :sunny:

・ 夜が明けたら、いちばんに君に会いにいく 下

I finished the other half of book… I’m not crying, you’re crying :face_holding_back_tears:

Seems like I’m the first one to add it on bookmeter? o:

25 Likes

Home

I read the previews for プライドにキス, which I saw recced on tumblr, and 花咲く恋がふってくる by the same mangaka, as well as ディノサン: Dinosaurs Sanctuary, which was advertised on a paper included inside one of the volumes of 極主夫道 that I got yesterday. Also finally 異刻メモワール, which has been open on my tablet for ages.

Tired again today (though it was mostly because I made the bad decision of of getting an iced chai, which I then had to down within the span of like 5 min so it wouldn’t get too watered down to be edible. So sleepy…), so I only read ch 59-61 of HQ. Only 1 more left this vol, augh

I realized today that aside from using 僕, Tsukishima also uses 君, rather than お前 like all the other guys thus far (actually, I think Take-chan uses 君 too?). Even though it’s somewhat surprising, it does fit him… (Though, 僕 and 君 are on the same level of politeness, aren’t they? So looking back, him using 君 isn’t surprising except in the way that discovering that he uses 僕 was surprising, if that makes sense.)

loooool I forgot it was this match where Kageyama tries to compliment Tsukki and says “knife” instead of “nice.” Though here it’s more like “nuff;” I’ll have to pay attention to the audio next time I watch the anime, since I’m pretty sure the subs say “knife.”

(actually good lighting for once because I took it in the car)

Also, it’s sad that Tsukki doesn’t know how to react to people caring about him or complimenting him, but at the same time it’s hilarious watching him flounder lmao (like with Suga in an earlier chapter? Good stuff). Anyway, I adore him. (Kageyama, too.)

Some vocab of note:

のっぽ [noun] tall, lanky person; beanpole
弱みを握る (よわみをにぎる) [expression, ラ五] to have something on (someone)
一概に (いちがいに) [adverb] unconditionally; as a rule
根性論 (こんじょうろん) [noun] belief that where there’s will, there’s a way
怪童 (かいどう) [noun] unusually large or strong youth
段違い (だんちがい) [noun, の-adj., な-adj.] wildly different (in ability, strength, etc.); on another level; in a different league; a world apart; far better
即席 (そくせき) [noun, の-adj.] extempore; impromptu; improvised; ad-lib; off-the-cuff; instant
欲求不満 (よっきゅうふまん) [四字熟語, noun] frustration

22 Likes

I didn’t read the past two days, just too busy for honestly much of anything. Call it an accomplishment I didn’t sleep in my outdoor clothes.

Today I was also busy, but have done a chapter each of 火車 and 天使の傷跡. I’m still not really enjoying 火車 and enjoying 天使の傷跡 quite a bit despite all the random kanji-for-words-I-typically-see-in-hiragana I’m looking up. Today brings me 悪戯 ( いたずら) and 折角 (せっかく). Or maybe I’m enjoying it more for that. Unsure.
火車 I’m just not that interested in the case to be honest. I realized a chapter or two ago this book is probably directly related to the phrase 火の車 which I’ve head before. I don’t know enough about the term 火車 in particular to know if it carries the same connotations at a glace for a native Japanese speaker. In any case I’m hoping it gets a bit deeper/grittier soon because it’s 500 some pages and I’m not really loving it. :grimacing:

Week 3 of the book club for 十角館の殺人 opened and I’ll need to get the reading done for it. Probably tomorrow, not sure I have much more energy tonight and if I do I’ll probably just indulge myself with another chapter of 天使の傷跡.

27 Likes

August 21 :blossom: Home Post

Alright, a bit better today! Although I was still naughty and played Steins;Gate instead of doing any of my book club things, rip :joy: I’m enjoying it though, I finished the prologue and I’m very intrigued :eyes: Hopefully life stuff will settle soon, I’m just back in town for the new semester so I’m a bit scattered figuring out new routines :laughing: I’ll get there though! I’ve got lots of fun stuff to read :grin:

26 Likes