📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Home post

REDC
Week 8

8月16日
Final Fantasy XIV

Was busy and tired today so only managed a couple quests, nothing too fancy.

Oooh that’s nice to read!! Hopefully I can make it worthwhile and entertaining :slight_smile: . It’s going to take forever, though, with the amount of content in the game and my turtle speed. Hopefully it gets better at some point with more vocabulary. So far I’ve already been able to make like 10 cards so it’s a start (though many, many more lookups). With that and all, it is still hard for me so I’ll make sure to post my frustrations too :joy: .

Improvement :muscle: . I hope you’re able to recover soon, no shame in reducing workload for a bit :wink: . I know I do! (in fact today is one of those “ticking a box” day for me, especially listening :eyes: )

23 Likes

In a weird headspace today so probably going to be mostly offline. Drowning myself in reading sounds good today. In that vein, I finished 遅刻して来た幽霊 | L27 just now. It was fun, I liked it a lot. There were two stories in the collection which I thought were particularly enjoyable, but the rest were ok. The nice thing about short stories is that even if they kind of suck, there’re still short.

I hope I graded it ok - I started reading this back in March. So my memory of vocab and grammar spread is a bit weak. However, I finished the last two stories off recently and 赤川次郎 is generally pretty predictable to level.

also @Mrs_Diss I saw you started reading ウテナ! I hope you’re enjoying it :rose:

24 Likes

August 16 :blossom: Home Post

It’s wild times out here guys, it happened: I finished 海辺のカフカ! Part one anyway, which means I’ve officially finished my first novel in Japanese! :tada: Feels pretty weird all around really, for one thing it’s just the first half so it doesn’t totally feel like a finished book that way but it’s a physical volume finished so there’s that. But finally after all my stops and starts with different novels, and playing like five whole VNs in the interim lmao, I finished one yay! Check off that language learning box :heavy_check_mark: Oh also belated thank you on the バディミッションBOND congratulations!! It’s been a wild couple of days haha.

Congrats again to everyone finishing up books and things, progress has been wild! Powerful stuff :muscle:

Oof I’m sorry things are rough, I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself though! Japanese will be there for you whenever, your well-being always comes first :blush: I wish you the best!

27 Likes

Home

While browsing the complete manga sets on the Book-Off website, I discovered a volleyball one, アタック!! so I read the preview for vol 1 on Bookwalker, and then, since that didn’t give me much of an idea of it, vol 2. Which meant I was totally confused of course lol but it seems good! So I’m definitely thinking of getting it. I also read the preview for リベロ革命(レボリューション)!! It was written 2 years after the libero became a thing officially in Japanese volleyball in 1998 and is about the 159-cm-tall Mikimoto Kaname who is a good spiker despite his height in MS but has all the makings of a good libero, and is scouted to a good HS as one (and, of course, as he loves spiking, is adamantly against it at first). Definitely want this one! (Also, TIL “libero” is another term for “sweeper” in soccer.)

I also read the preview for ギャルボーイ, which grew less interesting the further I got into the first chapter (a masc woman, who tbh seems perfectly happy being and acting masc even though she kinda wishes everyone didn’t always immediately peg her as a man and weren’t always so surprised to find out she’s not one, gets made into a model with the intent of making her super fem and making her femininely pretty rather than leaning into masculine prettiness or even going an androgynous route), and then afterward the one for おうちでごはん, which seems like a nice slice-of-life/cooking manga, plus the chapters are super short, though there’s zero furigana! Even for names! Anyway, this one’s going on my to-read list, though I’m steering way clear of the first. tbh I’d hoped it would be something similar to Otomen where it’s kinda queer-adjacent in that it goes against gender roles (and shows you don’t gotta be gay or genderqueer to throw them aside), but nope, it starts leaning hard into them. “You’re a woman, so you’ve gotta be feminine!” Oh, sod off.

I read ch 27 of ハイキュー!! and for the first time ever left off in the middle of a manga chapter (actually a little more than halfway through ch 28). I was reading during dinner and then got distracted doing other things (watching science tiktoks, mostly) for three hours and now suddenly it’s after midnight. I will be finishing it right after this lol

Some vocab of note:

仇討ち (あだうち) [noun] vengeance; revenge; retaliation
一夜漬け (いちやづけ) [noun, する verb] last-minute cramming; overnight cramming. Its original meaning referred to vegetables just salted overnight.
縁もゆかりもない (えんもゆかりもない) [expression, い-adj.] having no relationship with whatsoever; having nothing to do with
たまげる [自一] to be astonished; to be flabbergasted; to be startled; to be amazed
見世物 (みせもの) [noun] show; exhibition; spectacle
従来 (じゅうらい) [の-adj.] traditional; conventional; usual; existing
短大 (たんだい) [noun] junior college; vocationally oriented two- or three-year post-secondary education institution. An abbreviation of 短期大学.
汚名返上 (おめいへんじょう) [四字熟語, noun, する verb] clear one’s name; redeem oneself; clear/vindicate one’s honor/reputation. Like some 四字熟語, the first and last two pairs of kanji are words in their own right, but I don’t think this one is a combination of the two of them, as 返上 itself means “give up; relinquish; serve up; let loose,” and that’s not quite the right connotation. It’s more 汚名 + 返 + 上. “Return your sullied name to its former better (higher) state.” I dunno, just thought that was interesting, since the other 四字熟語 like that I’d come across before all seemed to be a combination of the two two-character words.
食えない (くえない) [expression, い-adj.] shrewd; smart; cunning; crafty

24 Likes

Daily reading continues smoothly for me. Nearing the end of all of Azumanga Daioh! It definitely worked its hooks into me; this last volume is the best but I’m not sure if the quality is that significantly higher? I think I just have a really strong connection to these goofy girls at this point. Moments of it are rather emotionally resonant even though it gave off that frivolous impression. Glad I took the time.

Starting soon will be the generic starter novel, just a few too late, コンビニ人間. Looking forward to it!

23 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 47: August 16th :dolphin: :desert_island:

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 7 (58% ➨ 76%)

spacer:mag: 名探偵コナン Volume 11 (52% ➨ 61%)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 5 (63% ➨ 70%)

This one’s on my “to read eventually” list. I remember liking the anime well enough back when I saw it, and I wondered if the manga would be better. At the time, I was waiting for the series to finish before I considered reading it, but rather than that, the official English release never finished.

Based on what you’ve read so far, do you get the impression that the series has held up well (characters, story, pacing)? Or does it feel more like “it’s good only if you have nostalgia for the anime”? (Or can’t really tell?)

22 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 16

I think I’m getting faster at reading ビブリア, at least until I reach a new chapter, which should happen on the next session (42% → 48%).

I also read 3 chapters of 青のフラッグ and finished Volume 4. Halfway through the series!

20 Likes

Feeling pretty burnt out today. Read things here and there but could only do one social link in P3P. I was really motivated for personal reasons but now the reason has come and gone. Might hop around the next couple of days until I land on something to get my motivation up.

18 Likes

Finally started reading 青ブタ3 and got a little dopamine hit from it. But I’m not gonna rush into things because I like I said earlier I’m a little burnt out.

16 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220817 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 4.92% :snowflake:

Only time to read a paragraph today.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

御無沙汰「ごぶさた」ー Not writing or contacting for awhile; long silence
羽織「はおり」ー Haori; a type of formal coat
臆病「おくびょう」ー Cowardly; timid
令嬢「れいじょう」ー Your daughter; young woman
余所余所しい「よそよそしい」ー Distant; cold; formal
結城紬「ゆうきつむぎ」ー Silk products made near Yuuki
懐手「ふところで」ー Hands in pockets; idleness

Counters
「ちょう」ー Counter for violins (along with other long narrow things, like: spades and other such tools, other instruments like shamisen, guns, oars etc.) (also more likely to be seen as: 丁)

20 Likes

i’m only 50 or so pages in, so can’t really say much about the story yet, or how it differs from the anime. though they sure turned up the darkness with the scene where Utena first meets the prince. i’m finding it pleasant to read. it’s been a while since i’ve read anything with more than the occasional furigana, and the grammar is quite straightforward. i’m looking forward to reading more of it!

all in all, my live got a lot more busy these last few weeks, and i failed to post updates on this post. but i did read at least a little almost every day, though it might have been only a few pages before i fell asleep. 9 hour hikes in rough terrain with intermittent climbing sections tend to tire one out.

i finished the 3 volumes of アネモネ, and i think that’s all that’s available of that so far. it was cute, they both got to say 大好き to each other, but it’s obviously unfinished. i’ll get back to it when my kindle tells me that a new volume is published, as it certainly will ^^

the やが君 LN continues to be a slog, though i’m getting close to finishing the second volume. difficulty-wise that’s pretty much at the edge of what i can manage, and when i’m tired, i just blank out on it.

i ought to have a few quiet days now, so hopefully i’ll get a bit more reading in ^^

23 Likes

Almost forgot to read today, between school preparations, taking the cats to the dentist, and trying to find a contractor to do some rather urgent work on our house (no luck after several weeks, and my anxiety has spiked so I decided to stop drinking coffee today, so I am headachey and tired and foggy). Remembered at 3:00 p.m. that I hadn’t done today’s reading and was glad I did. The first pages of Chapter 9 of よつば& are much much funnier when you get all the dialogue. (Looked for an image of my favourite panel and found this, which tempted me, but besides the fact that I don’t wear t-shirts much, it isn’t NEARLY as funny in English.)

Some new words:

復讐 (ふくしゅう) revenge
きさま: you; you bastard
見通し (みとおし): unobstructed view
いいわけ: excuse
地獄 (じごく): hell
撃つ (うつ): to shoot
おのれ: angry interjection
いのち: life
殺る (やる): to bump someone off
殺す (ころす): to kill

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 17th :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (30% → 31%)

Just a tiny read. Was a fulfilling day :3

Wiii! :high_touch: I really liked the moment they had at the end of their デヱト. Exchanging gifts and special words with each other. Miyo finally on a first-name basis with her 旦那様! But in the back of my mind I was also like… how long were they standing outside in the cold? xD Didn’t seem like they entered the door. And good call on Kiyoka’s part for bringing her on a date after all that busy business finally settling down, beri naisu :+1:

Sounds good to me! :eyes: :sparkles: More tanoshimiii~

21 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 17th:

8 pages of 好きっていいなよ volume 2. I don’t know why, but I’m dragging my feet with both reviews and reading lately. I’m determined, so I’ll finish the challenge, but taking a break from the “must read every day no matter what!!!”- mindset will be good for me, I think. I want to do more Wanikani and grammar studies, but there’s only so many hours in a day :melting_face:

24 Likes

August 17th!

Chapter 101 of Yotsuba today, only 3 chapters left now :sob:
Todays chapter was hilarious. Yotsuba decides to join Fuuka and Shimau while they study for a test, after discovering that they have snacks to eat while they study. This was my favourite chapter I’ve read for a while, the whole thing was adorable.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

i just finished the first duel. and now i can say that i love it!

5 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険25

141 - 187 (end)

That’s a baseball!

Highlights:
So serious that he took the hat off

A personal favorite

21 Likes

i just realised: i can finally read the title :smiley:

13 Likes

お誕生日おめでとうございます!!