📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:star2: :video_game: August 14 :video_game: :star2:
(home post)

Super Mario Odyssey :star2:

I actually finished yesterday, thinking I hadn’t read any Japanese at all, and then as I laid in bed I was like “wait a minute”… Which day did I play the beach kingdom (can’t actually remember what they are called in English) in SMO? And my brain went yesterday? And I was like “no I don’t think so”. And brain was like so today? And I was like “gotta be I guess, weird”.

So I did a bit of reading (and fun playing!). Reading the leaflet on the kingdom (man those are hard because they typically have vocab I don’t know, but I don’t look it up. But after reading about half of it, I realized one of the unknown words were carbonated (or similar) to say sparkling/bubbly water.

I just realized that I’m in three book clubs and they’re making me read: 1 novel, 1 manga, and 1 VN. :joy: Talk about spreading myself across all mediums equally. :joy:

Lastly, I think I’m back in that place I talked about a few weeks ago, when switching between things I’m reading is its own kind of ordeal for me. I certainly find that part much harder than just continuing with what I’m already doing. Doesn’t help that two of my current picks are also starting new volumes. The resistance is real.

But I will go conquer it right now, because I have another gaming night planned so if I want to read something today, I better do it now. ^^

And once again, I get to thank more of you for congratulating me on my first novel. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And now to some specific replies!

replies

Books, smooks. Read whatever you prefer. The only thing I’m disliking with reading a VN is that I can’t add it to bookmeter and get a nice page boost to my totals when I finished it. :joy:

Sounds like a lot of fun! I’ve been watching a (main) story focused lets play of FFXIV. They just finished Heavensward’s main story and will start the patch stories soon :tm: It’s on PlayFrame yt channel. It isn’t played in Japanese, but I’ve been enjoying being able to experience the story without getting into another mmo. (MMOs have dominated my life at different times…)

You’re right, that is pretty rad. :partying_face:

And then I’ll read Loopers this week and it will slam me back to earth, reminding me how much there is still left to learn to read everything that easily. :joy:

Woot! I look forward to your next update. :eyes:

Absolutely! Will be starting the next in the series any day.

Talk about sneakly announcing your own first finished novel. Well done! :partying_face: :tada:

Honestly, seeing you were reading it at the same time and getting close to the end pushed me to keep reading too. So I think we managed to motivate each other there. :smiley:

You’re absolutely right. 坊ちゃん (in graded reader form) was far harder to read than 夜カフェ. And of those two, 坊ちゃん was definitely more entertaining. I do really enjoy 夜カフェ, but it is more of a hanging out on the beach easy read. While 坊ちゃん is more of a reading at night and maybe stay up too late to read more — type of read. I enjoy both kinds of books (they both have their place), but I’d probably pick 坊ちゃん-type reads all the time, if they didn’t also come with a lot more difficulty. I’ll get there. :slight_smile:

(Obviously I enjoyed 夜カフェ enough to keep reading. I feel like I’m slamming it, but I honestly enjoy reading it a lot too. Not only for how easy it is to read, but the characters and their drama.)

Yes please! I can’t say I will be able to start them super soon (considering I’m in three book clubs, 4 starting in September), but I do want to get into more novel territory. I’m certainly more interested in it now, than I was before finishing 夜カフェ. (Also before remembering how dang good 坊ちゃん was.)

Thanks to you reading this book, when Bowser in Super Mario Odyssey used 吾輩 I knew both how to read it and what it meant. I wouldn’t have if you hadn’t been reading this at the same time. ^^

O_O Come on Norway, wake up! Sweden certainly did. Most everything is open on Sundays nowadays, excluding Systembolaget (and the postal service, but they aren’t open on any red days or weekends so…).

What an ordeal. :disappointed: At least the weather was good. :slight_smile:

22 Likes