Home post

REDC
Week 7

8月10日
Chrono Trigger

Just a small read today.

20 Likes

Summary post

This update coming in a little late, but it’s a pretty big one for me! Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling had a show on July 31, featuring the quarterfinals of the Tokyo Princess Cup, and there was a spot in one of the matches that sparked a bunch of annoying twitter discourse that was based in widespread misunderstandings of the stories that TJPW had been telling this year, thanks to the English-speaking fandom no longer having access to reliable translation.

In any case, it pushed me over the edge, and I decided to go public with my translations :sweat_smile:. They’re far from perfect, but they’re so much better than what the fandom has without me, which is Nothing. So I started a twitter account to promote them, and now I have, uh, 60 people following my translation work, which is very scary :see_no_evil:.

I also started a very, very long twitter thread trying to catch people up on some of the TJPW story and character moments they might have missed from earlier in the year. I looked back through all of the TJPW translations I’d done, many of which I’d worked on during these read every day challenges, and I’d done so much more than I realized!

I also discovered that if I buy a digital subscription to the 週刊プロレス mobile site, I can access full transcriptions of the post-match comments, instead of having to rely on the partial transcriptions in the official recaps and the twitter captions on the videos. So I figured out how to sign up for that and got a subscription, and now I can finally translate full promos! It’s weirdly both more and less work. It’s more text to translate, but since it gives me a lot more context, it often makes the meaning of tricky lines easier to understand.

With the full translations and the dedicated twitter account, it feels a lot more like “I’m really doing this for real now, huh?” I’d wanted to do the full translations from the beginning, but in hindsight, it’s probably better that it worked out this way, because I feel like I’d have been too overwhelmed trying to translate all of that text when I first started doing this.

All of that said, here’s my post for the July 31 show. I also read more of 新日本プロレス英語入門, and here’s my post about some of the interesting things I read in the glossary (lots of bad words in there :sweat_smile:).

And finally, topping this off with a photo from the show. Here are rookies Moka Miyamoto and Juria Nagano (who both have a karate background) executing some nice teamwork against Maki Itoh:

I haven’t missed a day of reading yet, with either Spanish or Japanese :blush:.

28 Likes

It sounds like I should read these!

As an emergency doc, I’d say surgeons can be over-rated, unless you need someone with a scalpel! :face_with_head_bandage:

8 Likes

Feeling pretty burned out at the moment (talked about it in the listening thread so won’t delve into it again) but trying to keep consistency if nothing else so I read a few pages of 異世界の名探偵. It’s kind of lost my interest, but I’m not sure if that’s because the writing style isn’t really my thing (light novels don’t click much with me) or just a symptom of the aforementioned burn.

In any case, I can check the box and said I did read something today. :heavy_check_mark:

22 Likes

August 10 :blossom: Home Post

Yay productive reading day! :tada: First I read some club stuff; I played this week’s section of ルーパーズ, and boy are things wild! Then I read a chapter of 海辺のカフカ which really wasn’t less wild :joy: That ended up being 23 pages in about an hour and a half so pretty good! Then of course I played some more バディミッションBOND; I finished up the side stories I had so next time it’ll be back to main plot :eyes: Very afraid haha. All in all a good day!

Oh that’s awesome, congrats!! That can be a really big hurdle, definitely something to be proud of :grin:

Woah that’s super cool! You’re out here having a genuine impact on people’s experiences and changing them for the better, that’s a wonderful thing :blush: especially with something you’re passionate about!

26 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 41: August 10th :wind_chime: :butterfly:

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 6 (39% ➨ 58%)

spacer:ninja:t2: くノ一ツバキの胸の内 Volume 4 (0% ➨ 18%)

22 Likes

Yeah, it’s kind of a strange feeling because I’ve never really had a public twitter account before, so being out there where the wrestlers themselves can, like, see my translations of their stuff and interact with it, it’s an odd experience! :sweat_smile:

What’s kind of funny is that when I started that thread explaining TJPW story stuff from the past year, the first person who liked it was actually a Japanese fan. So I guess the Japanese fans are frustrated with western fans misinterpreting everything, too, haha!

In any case, it also provides the occasional opportunity for me to practice production as well, which is handy. Who knows, I might even meet some Japanese-speaking fans and make some friends :blush:.

16 Likes

Home

Yesterday I got the Re:collection cover series, and today I ripped two of the CDs onto my laptop and copied down the lyrics, so that counts as reading. I actually had more trouble with some of the names than most of the lyrics lmao. At least I can easily look up the readings on JP Wikipedia.

Man, and even just a year ago, when copying down lyrics, I had to switch between kanji+kana and romaji lyrics or else draw stuff into Google Translate to get the readings for a bunch of stuff, and now it’s only a few things (if even!). I used to generally only understand a bit here and there, too, but now I can understand the gist if not more of most of them. I still have a long way to go, but I’ve made a lot of progress already. Now, if we’re talking about learning the songs, though, I still need the romaji lyrics beneath each line at first for all but the slowest songs because my reading speed’s not up to par, but just copying them down or reading them at leisure, I don’t.

And actually I thought I’d started reading in mid-August last year, but apparently it was the 6th! So it’s already been a full year!

Also, today, while getting distracted and deciding to poke around on the JP Wikipedia page for 2.43, I learned that a couple more seiyuu who acted in it than I realized covered songs for Re:collection. Kajiwara Gakuto, who voiced Uchimura, as well as Ookawa Genki, who voiced Kouhei. I feel like I shoulda recognized their names, but I didn’t…

Book-wise, today I finished 恋ではないと思いたい, which was really good, and then read 月刊少女野崎くん①. I didn’t realize the BL doujin chapter was in this volume. That one’s so great, although I think I liked it better in the anime. It parallels what sensei did with Mikorin and Mayu better in the anime too lol. Ah, I hope I can get more volumes soon…

Why is it that the last two manga I read had pretty much no furigana aside from names but I didn’t have to look much up, but GSNK has full furigana but I had to look up a bunch of words.

Some vocab of note:

空前絶後 (くうぜんぜつご) [四字熟語, noun, の-adj.] (so marvelous or horrible that it may be) the first and probably the last
躓く (つまずく or つまづく) [自カ五] to trip (over); to stumble
降り頻る (ふりしきる) [自ラ五] to fall incessantly (rain, snow, etc.); to downpour
引っ込み思案 (ひっこみじあん) [noun, な-adj., の-adj.] reserved; introverted; reticent; shy; withdrawn
学部 (がくぶ) [noun] department of a university. When used as a prenominal, it also means “undergraduate.”
油を売る (あぶらをうる) [expression, ラ五] to loaf (particularly on the job); to idle one’s time away; to dawdle
オブラートに包む (オブラートにつつむ) [expression, マ五] to say in a roundabout way (so as not to upset); to cushion the blow. Literally, “to wrap in wafer paper.”
嵩 (かさ) [noun] bulk; volume; quantity
恋敵 (こいがたき) [noun] one’s rival in love
百歩譲って (ひゃっぽゆずって) [expression] for the sake of argument; even if that were true
発破をかける (ハッパをかける) [expression, 一] to start a fire under someone; to motivate someone with rough words
惚気 (のろけ) [noun] speaking fondly about one’s sweetheart; going one about one’s love affairs
創刊号 (そうかんごう) [noun] first issue (of a magazine)
じわじわくる [expression, くる verb, colloquialism] to begin to like something (one did not initially like); to gradually become enamored with something; to have something grow on one
他意 (たい) [noun] other intention; hidden purpose; ulterior motive; ill will; malice
反面教師 (はんめんきょうし) [四字熟語, noun] bad example from which one can learn; good example of what not to do (esp. how not to behave)
KY (ケイワイ) [noun, な-adj., slang] unable to read the situation; unable to pick up on the mood; person who is unable to read the room. An abbreviation of 空気が読めない.
いかがわしい [い-adj.] suspicious; dubious; unreliable. indecent; unseemly.

More like, a lot of vocab lol I came across a lot of stuff I found interesting today

20 Likes

I guess it depends on whom hospital director wants to hire / availability of the positions; what are they willing to do; and how many shifts, especially outside regular time (where there might be limited number of doctors depending on the hospital size). I am not exactly sure about job description and training.

Aug 11, Thu of Week 7 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Finished ブラックジャックによろしく Ch.4 (70%). Recent chapters were about life-death boundary, values and money/costs. Medical products are still riddled with trade names.

I mostly can manage this manga, but reading a package insert of a medical product (from googling more) can be a big deal.

The following chapter sounds interesting. Along the lines of concerning internal meds and pharmacists as well, and I am closer to internists

Actually, I am in a smaller hospital where outside regular time, I am the only doctor in the hospital. Most problematic would be emergency room, where I don’t trust nurses enough. Labor room can be a problem too, but I trust nurses more. (Wards do have some problem, but mostly secondary.) Career-wise, I am shifting towards family medicine, where mostly no emergency, and clients are mostly elderly or having chronic diseases. (Children tend to go to specialized clinics / pediatricians.)

I didn’t really get back into listening yet, although I watched an anime minimally this morning.

20 Likes

On vacation at the moment. I’m a devote Christian so I tried to read my scriptures in Japanese. Man does reading a book that you know like the back of your hand in your native tongue make it easier to understand the foreign! You should all try it, not necessarily with scriptures, but with a book you’ve read 30+ times.

17 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 11th:

22 pages of 好きっていいなよ! I really prefer morning reads - it’s so much easier to concentrate, and getting it over with early is nice when the rest of the day will be busy. I thiiink I might have enough energy to tackle some lessons on Wanikani again, too. I’ve been battling my leeches ever since the move started. Seeing the same words and kanji again and again is driving me up the wall :melting_face: My brain needs new material, which I think is a good sign

Thank you!! It felt scary, but while we were talking I realized it’s not that big of a deal. Maybe I’ll be less nervous next time, hehe

This is great! I think it’s really impressive that you’ve found something you enjoy, and that you can both share it with others & practice your Japanese at the same time. I admire passion projects like this so much. Good luck with the public translations!!

25 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 10

Another productive day!
I usually manage to read about 3% of ビブリア daily, but things got interesting towards the end of the chapter so I did a little nyoom to finish it (24% → 29%). So that’s 1 chapter down, 3 to go. (Spoilers for ビブリア chapter 1) I wasn’t expecting the first chapter so have such life-changing effects for the protagonist but it made it all the more enjoyable. I’m wondering if anything will come out of this. But with his grandma having already passed away it’s a bit late now… pretty sad. Looking forward to seeing what the next chapter brings.

I finally read this week’s ルーパーズ chapter which was… a trip. But a short one so I’m really curious where this is going.

I also read another 3 chapters of 青のフラッグ, which is a nice pace. I absolutely loved some of the between-chapters drawings (the animals are supposed to represent the character’s personalities):

Cute drawings

And finally I played バリバリ for about an hour. The end of this section of the game is proving to be very long.

Pretty good for one day but I definitely could never manage this much if I wasn’t on vacation.

24 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m back (sort of).

First of all, thanks for all the kind get-well wishes! It turned out to be Covid. I had avoided it for so long, but it seems there’s no escaping it in the long run. I seem to be mostly over it now, but still not exactly back to normal. The symptoms weren’t too bad, but the exhaustion! I don’t think I have ever felt so exhausted in my life, having done nothing but sleep. Reading anything, even in my native language, sent me to sleep after a sentence or so - Japanese was definitely out of of the question. Nevertheless, I did manage to read the prologue and a page or two of chapter one from 十角館の殺人, in tiny increments. Now that I’m feeling somewhat better I need to see how I can catch up with all the responsibilities I have neglected, reading included…

It pains me that I can’t read your spoilers, because I definitely want to read it now - your enthusiasm is catching. It’s very expensive compared to what I usually buy though (because it’s new, I guess), so it may have to wait. Maybe if I read the spoilers now I’ll have forgotten them by the time I get to read it? No? Sure?

I’m so sorry you feel that way. I hope it passes soon. Take a break if you need it - it may make all the difference.

Congratulations! That’s huge! You found a niche that you’re extremely interested in, and you’re filling a gap for many other people who share the same interest but not your skills. It’s really awesome to not only be able to put your Japanese to such immediate practical use, but also to help other people through it! :smiley:

28 Likes

Welcome back :blush: Good to hear that things are improving for you.

Yeah, I also think that’s what it boils down to in the long run. I’m really happy that the current variants are not quite as horrible as the initial ones were. Let’s see what the future brings though…

BookWalker currently has a massive coin discount campaign going on, so maybe you can get it cheaper that way? (If it’s included, which I did not check - but e.g. 十角館の殺人 currently has a coin cashback of 70% iirc because it’s in two discount campaigns at the same time.)

15 Likes

:blush:

:star_struck:
Oh my, nearly all of my list is eligible… There goes my day… Don’t mind me, I’ll just be choosing which books to spend all my money on…

14 Likes

Sunday was a great reading day as I was travelling - I read all of chapter 1 of 夜カフェ volume 2 in the morning.

Since then I’ve not been doing well with my reading - busy at work and exhausted so mostly just reading a few pages of シャドーハウス to keep the momentum going. Today I’ve properly read 1 page of Tugumi but am hitting a wall already.

Yeah, I was being a bit flippant - feel free to ignore my joking comment! I think in many countries surgeons perform emergency roles and transfers etc., whereas in other countries, they can tend to focus on whether they get to operate or not!

23 Likes

This is so great! Congratulations. I’m a big believer in working hard on whatever you care about in part because it’s fun and in part because someday it might be of value to someone else. It looks like that’s happened for you, and I’m so glad you’ve found an audience! I also just love it when people are really really into something, whether it’s wrestling or whatever else. You’re inspiring!

9 Likes

So glad you’re feeling better. I have also avoided covid so far, and I am dreading the day it catches up with me (got my second booster last week and the nurse asked if I’d already had covid; when I said no he said, “Well, we don’t see many of you!”) Hope you’re fully recovered in no time.

7 Likes

I always try to read in the mornings when I can; when I have to leave it until later in the day I find myself pushing through and wishing for it to be done. I am prepping for back to school and have just put Bunpro on vacation mode, but I’m really hoping to keep up my morning routine of a bit of Wanikani and a bit of reading…I’m only on level 9 in WK but the leeches are swarming, and I really don’t want to lose momentum; reading really seems to help.

6 Likes

Not sure why, but today I was really craving Persona. So I got the sample of Persona Q’s manga off amazon, then when I got home played Persona 4, and then played P3P on my PSP and realized my level whatever Persona is. So far I have 100% comprehension of what’s in them. It was really reinvigorating. I’m still gonna stick with reading Re:Zero for new vocab, but I am entering a Persona ブーム apparently.

20 Likes