Visual Novel Book Club // Now reading: ISLAND

ファタモルガーナの館 (Fata Morgana no Yakata)

Developer: NOVECT
VNDB Play Time:33h58m
VNDB Link: Fata Morgana no Yakata | vndb
Character count: 672,177
Number of weeks to finish: 22 weeks – :bangbang:will need to be read at an elevated ~30k per week pace. :bangbang:

Summary

A gothic suspense tale set in a cursed mansion. “The House in Fata Morgana” is a full-length visual novel spanning nearly a millennium that deals in tragedy, human nature, and insanity.

Availability

A note on versions: On PC the main story is sold separately from A Requiem for Innocence / “Another Episodes,” a shorter afterstory followup. On consoles these are bundled in a version that also features higher resolution, somewhat different art, etc.

PC:
Steam
DLSite
MangaGamer

PS4/Vita:
PS Store

Nintendo Switch:
Nintendo Store

Personal Opinion

Well, I’ve read Fata Morgana and I love it. It’s 8th place on VNDB, dominated by 10 and 9 ratings. It’s a really strong character driven story that I’m pretty confident will get people invested, and by nature of starting as sort of an anthology of stories (which do all tie together in the end) should give us a nice bit of variety. It’s also one of my go-to recommendations to show VNs don’t have to be so… anime? If anyone wants to get away from high school characters, from the usual art style, from the usual locations, from the usual types of music… this thing is really one of a kind. There are so many beautiful vocal tracks; I’d share one but I’m afraid of your Youtube recommendations getting filled with implied Fata Morgana spoilers, haha. But no matter how wonderful I think this story is and how excellently presented, this pick is a bit of a gamble, so read the pros and cons carefully. :heart:

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• 8th place on VNDB
  • Unique presentation and story context
  • Significant story changes could provide a nice shakeup when reading at non-native pace
  • Verified texthookable on PC, accessible on multiple platforms and easily through Steam
  • Easy to organize, some choices can lead to bad ends but it doesn’t significantly branch and has one “true route”

Cons

• (Potential negative) Story full of tragedy – highly affecting if you ask me, and to a meaningful ultimate purpose, but there is a lot of trauma on the way
  • Ambitious pick – at this length, we’ll have to read ~30k per week to finish in 22 weeks. It’s ALSO rated 7/10 difficulty on jpdb.io, though I have looked through the first few hours and didn’t find it looked terribly bad. Average sentence length isn’t much higher than what we’ve been reading. It’s possible for sure that the difficulty isn’t the same all the way through, but if you want to investigate further, here is a video of the first couple hours.
  • No voice acting
  • The PC version is 800x660 resolution :skull:

Pictures

Screenshots

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this VN?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

10 Likes