๐Ÿ”‰ ๐ŸŽ™ Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) ๐Ÿ–

Sep 27, Tue of Week 1 of (post-) Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I watched two more episodes of HUNTER x HUNTER (1999), with generated JP sub (for 1.5 episodes), and it now catches up with the recently finished manga volume. So, time to read further again.

I also watched an episode of Yurucamp S1 with JP sub (found in ็‹ใฃๅญ).

I played around with audio transcribing software for HUNTER x HUNTER (1999), and found openai/whisper to be demanding for a decent transcribing speed. Also, dedicated GPU RAM > 4 GB is required for the recommended medium and large models. small model doesnโ€™t only suck sometimes, but also refused to transcribe for some time segments.

The generated results are of *.vtt format, and previously used Aegisub doesnโ€™t support this (although I have another script to convert to *.srt first). Also, Aegisub development was discontinued for like 8 years.

Looking at the content of *.vtt (with a text editor), and finding that *.vtt can easily be edited with a text editor or simple text processing scripts; so I want to be able to visualize *.vtt directly. I found Subtitle Edit, which is actively developed to present time.

The real pro of this app though, is that it can generated subtitles from movies (not only audios, which are indirectly movies). Of course it can generate ones from audio files as well, with timing, and good GUI for proofreading. I also found other audio transcriber softwares, like CLI ones, in Github.

Doesn't use GPU, but isn't slow.

Transcribing quality is sometimes worse than openai/whisper, but at least it doesnโ€™t generate texts for silent segments, or repeated same texts whether (unrelatedly) spoken or not, as well as generated texts are well-timed.

7 Likes