🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220722 :loud_sound:

Day XXXI: : ピカチュウ!! :durtle_yellow_rodent:

After failing to find something on YouTube, I just ended up watching an episode of Pokemon and punching some guys in Yakuza 6.

@pocketcat, thanks! I might try noting something down, I want to do something similar to the reading challenge - note down all the new words, but it’s a little more difficult with listening.

9 Likes

July 22nd

Just a little bit of listening today - 2 episodes of Nihongo con Teppei. One was about magazines, and the other was about cooking.
I had to listen to the first one twice to fully understand it, but mostly because I got distracted in the middle!

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 22
ハウルの動く城

Finally happened, Howl’s Moving Castle. That was brilliant, didn’t remember a lot of things. Watched with JP subs, some parts were a bit tricky but overall I think I got the majority of it. Was super fun, I will definitely rewatch some time soon.

Most of the time learning Japanese is something I do and have been doing for a long time already, but sometimes I have these realisations of thinking “I’m really understanding Japanese. The language that was so extremely foreign and cool when I was a kid, it’s actually not so foreign anymore”. Usually like I said it’s no big deal, but sometimes just thinking about it trips me out a lot. Like it’s so weird that I actually understand other languages. Brains are trippy. But it’s also a wonderful feeling to have from time to time, it keeps me going.

11 Likes

July 22 :blossom: Home Post

I watched an episode of ハイキュー!! today! It’d been a while so it was nice to get back to it :grin: It’s just a good time honestly, lots of goofs and such that make it fun.

Big mood, any time I actually stop and think about it I’m just like “…woah” :joy: It’s good though! It’s easy to get lost in it all and forget how far we’ve already come, so taking a moment to rediscover the wonder is nice :')

10 Likes

July 23 :yellow_square:

Three videos from NHK for School. These are small educational videos for elementary school students. Cute and relatively simple. Today I learned about the stars in the summer sky, and where insects hide in autumn. :grin:
I found out about the existence of these videos from this post, thanks @Jonapedia !

10 Likes

Jul 23, Sat of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is カニ寺 (:studio_microphone:).

This person has a blog, and should be about 91 by now. Also, it’s probably the first time I hear the website’s name being pronounced.

So far, I can’t find where カニ寺 is, and there are many places of 海岸寺 and 小沢村.

Story impression

OSHO :facepunch:, destroyer of KANI :crab:

I think those Katakana sentences are

• 「お手に籠手とは鎚の事なり。喝!」
  • 「大足は二足、両足は六足、両眼は天をむく。これイカに」

Actually, I listened to さとり(の化け物) as well, but isn’t impressed enough with the storyline.

Yesterday, I listened to the playlist (りっきぃの夜話) from another day while running on threadmill in my workplace.

Then, I watched anime on Netflix. With an aid of Language Reactor, not only rewinding is easy, but also vocabulary tagging and phrase tagging. But after some point, I feel it can be overdone… I might just need to adapt, but then, Language Reactor’s dictionary isn’t on par with Yomichan, and even then, I usually look up further (on Goo / web search).

Then, I watched another episode, simply on a tablet. Rewinding by 10 seconds, rather than by a line of text, isn’t a big deal.

8 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220723 :loud_sound:

Day XXXII: : :monkey:

I watched a NHK school vid. I learnt all about how to make animations using paper and safety-pins :laughing:

This was a bit easier than the stories since they were having casual conversation, but I’m still in that realm of only understanding half of everything.

I spent awhile on YouTube yesterday trying to find something just like this! Thanks for sharing here, and thanks @Jonapedia for sharing before!

10 Likes

I tried the Uncle from another World on Netflix but it is way too much above my level so did 2 and a half hours of Bite Sized Japanese (1 hour intensively with subs).

7 Likes

July 23rd!

Today I listened to Episode 28 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, which was about cleaning.

I also listened to 2 different vocab building videos from JapanesePod101 while I was writing my diary. I like listening to this sort of thing while I’m writing since I can follow the single line example sentences, but since each one is individual and unconnected to the others, it doesn’t need my full attention like something with any sort of narrative would.

(Home Post)

8 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4

July 23
Japanese with Teppei and Noriko: episodes 1 to 7.

Didn’t know what to do today listening wise and I wanted something not too taxing because I’m tired, so I started this podcast. I like the conversation dynamic, feels a bit more alive than a monologue, and as much as I like listening to Teppei alone talking about random stuff, sometimes I need a break :smile: . That was nice, chill.

9 Likes

Summary Post

July 23rd
What did I listen to?: Super Bunny Man Let’s Play Part 4-6
How much time did I spend listening?: 63 min

Still taking it easy. Idk that I’m really learning anything from these, except maybe
離せよ
付けろう
危ねええ
死んだ :rofl:

10 Likes

July 23 :blossom: Home Post

I didn’t do a whole lot today, just watched a bit of let’s play to get my obligatory listening in :joy: It feels good doing at least a little bit every day, though sometimes it’s real bare minimum lmao. It’s all progress :sparkles:

8 Likes

Jul 24, Sun of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 寿限無 (:studio_microphone:).

This one isn’t from Hukumusume, simply from YouTube, and full transcript in in the description (not in CC or Show Transcript). 絵本 type, but I believe it can be listened as an audiobook as well.

Story impression

The kid has a crazy long name, that becomes a reading practice, but I can’t make it as smooth as the original audio.

「うわーん、おばちゃ〜ん。おばちゃんとこの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、ボクの頭ぶってこんな大きなたんこぶができちゃった〜」と金ちゃん。

「あらまあ、ごめんなさいね。うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、金ちゃんの頭ぶって大きなたんこぶができちゃったのかい?!おかみさんは慌てて言いました。

ちょいとお前さん、聞いた? うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助がね、金ちゃんの頭ぶって大きなこぶこしらえたんですって」。

「なんだって。うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、金ちゃんの頭をぶって大きなこぶこしらえたって?」おばあさんも出てきて、「なにかい、うちの孫の、寿限無 寿限無~」と大さわぎになりました。ところが金ちゃんの頭を見た八五郎、「なんだい、こぶなんかどこにもねえじゃねえか」。頭をグリグリ撫で回します。

すると金ちゃんがひとこと。「あんまり名前が長いから、とっくにこぶは引っこんじゃったよ」。

The story is famous enough to have a Wikipedia page (in English) – Jugemu - Wikipedia

Furthermore, おかみさん is simply a wife / housewife .

Afterwards, I started listening to かがみの孤城 audiobook, which I bought from audiobook.jp – it has exactly the same text as the same 2-book series in Bookwalker. Superifically I can understand it; but when compare with the text, I missed a lot. I intended to either listen or read, actually. Listen-Read-Listen cycle, if I must. Sadly, I missed the book club which also has read-aloud… but started around 9 months ago. Today, I can manage only 1 track = 20 minutes = 1/3 or first chapter.

I find most books in book club don’t have an associated audiobook. (Comparing to native audio can be helpful, for example, even with Furigana, numbers won’t be Furi’d anyway.) Mangas are probably out-of-question as well, as a lot of narration lines would be missing. [1] (Furthermore, up-to-now, I still can’t buy e-things from Amazon JP, so both Kindle and Audible.)

Then, I listened to りっきぃの夜話 for about 23 minutes. First 8 minutes (2 tracks) I listened twice, but I feel I still don’t understand enough.

Now, I saw that one of over 1 hour single episode. Light looks cooler than the other live-action version. However, JP sub and JP audio don’t match. Probably because it is US version. There is only English in the Note as well.

Actually, I now see sub not matching dub as a helper; however, the material still has to be chosen carefully (mostly regarding difficulty). This one specifically probably isn’t too difficult, but it started a little over the board (rather than about the actors).

I don’t think I am ready for no sub yet.

I have found a next series to watch after となりの怪物くん; with matching JP sub, of course.

1. Anime would also miss a lot of narration lines compared to audiobooks or novels. ↩︎

8 Likes

July 24 :orange_square:

Two kurzgesagt videos (thanks @myria for the idea!). I guessed/inferred more than I actually understood, but they were still interesting. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Ah!! Thank you, polvさん, for this information! I haven’t attempted to read along, yet… as I’m still attempting an “unbiased listen”, although I haven’t gone back to かがみの孤城 in 3 weeks+ (#still sucked into BOTW) When I am reading along while listening, I get thrown when they’re not identical, but I am usually able to get back on track.

At native speed, I can’t usually read a JP sub that fast! lol Usually I can only confirm a word or two that I thought I heard, by picking it out of a subtitle. But when it’s totally different, or interestingly different, I get distracted thinking about it. :blush:

Now I’m listening to Pecoさん playing Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild in Japanese with Japanese commentary.

Looking at polvさん’s link about rakugo, I’m thinking that a Chinese children’s book that I read as a kid (about the oldest brother having such a long name that he almost drowned as the second child tried to get help) was such a story. Great challenge for read-aloud, polv! :joy:

6 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220724 :loud_sound:

Day XXXIII: : :iphone:

Today’s NHK vid is all about the dangers of interacting online; evil smartphones.
(That kinda got a lot darker than I thought an educational kid’s video would)

Pretty helpful, a lot of the dialogue was shown as text on the phones (or as magic text bubbles above people’s heads), and people were also speaking out loud what they’re typing on their phones, so they spoke slow and emphasised and I could actually understand them. But then they go speak normal again and I’m just ???

9 Likes

July 24th.

Today I listened to episode 29 of Nihongo con Teppei for Begginers.
Then I watched the first episode of Madoka Magicka, with support from Language Reactor.

Generally, when I use Language Reactor I use Japanese subs and have the english subs blurred out so that I can quickly mouse over them if I didn’t understand something or want to check I understood something without really breaking the flow of what I’m watching too much, but don’t accidentally default to just reading the english subs instead of trying to listen.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Just an hour listening today to Bite Sized Japanese.

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 4
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

July 24
Japanese with Teppei and Noriko: episodes 8 to 14.

Again went with this podcast today. Looks like I did a lot but these are super short, in total it was like half an hour or so. It’s actually quite nice, I find their dynamic quite amusing. It’s also quite lax in terms of difficulty so it’s nice for busy or tiring days.

10 Likes

July 24 :blossom: Home Post

In an unusual turn of events, most of what I did today was listening! (mostly because I didn’t start reading until pretty late and then I was tired but whatever lmao) I watched another of those バカゲー RPG videos, maybe my favorite so far :joy: It’s pretty succinct and very silly, so if you’re looking for something fun to watch I’d certainly recommend it:

And then I checked out a new anime because I have no self control ever :laughing: I’ve been hearing about how fun Tiger & Bunny is lately and truly had no idea what to expect from it so I gave it a go and yeah, it’s a lot of fun so far! I’m intrigued by the whole setup of heroes being marketed as like celebrity reality stars, pretty interesting :eyes: It was a pretty comfortable watch too (with Japanese subtitles) so I’ll probably watch it again!

Oh that’s fun! I only have a vague awareness of 寿限無 from seeing it referenced in stuff a lot, like that fullmetal alchemist scene, and it’s in ace attorney at some point, so it’d be cool to listen to the actual story sometime :eyes:

10 Likes