🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220706 :loud_sound:

Day XV: GYOZA !! GYOZA !! GYOZA !! :dumpling:

I crave for gyoza.

So I watched a recipe video on how to make some.

Now I crave gyoza more.
:dumpling: :dumpling: :dumpling:

Thing that I’m finding with videos is that I feel I can tell what to do just from the video itself, like I could have it on mute and have a vague idea of what it was about. Feels like I’m not focusing on the words so much. Why is listening so hard.

14 Likes

Thanks for hosting this @KJules ! I was just thinking about improving my listening skills alongside my reading skills with the Read Every Day Challenge! I think I’ll probably go for raw anime episodes + youtube videos as my go-to listening practice this time.

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07[ :white_check_mark:] 08[ :white_check_mark:] 09[ :white_check_mark:] 10[ :white_check_mark:]
11[ :white_check_mark:] 12 13 14[ :white_check_mark:] 15[ :white_check_mark:] 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
15 Likes

Home post

I don’t have a lot to say for listening updates while I’m plugging away at the same thing, but I’m definitely getting a little more confidence in my listening overall so that’s nice. Last night I listened to part 32 of my audiobook (out of 60 – 59% through the book) and was really pleased to see that I just straight up followed everything that happened on the first pass. I’m still missing words for sure, but most of that was easy to let pass. I’d say I missed the reasoning in one little conversation because it was crucial to know the word 土地鑑 (とちかん, familiarity with the land), but it was still rather minor. It just feels great to see this progress because I spent most of the first year feeling like my listening abilities wouldn’t budge.

14 Likes

Ahhhh that’s awesome! By the time you’re done with the book I bet your listening skills will be steller! You’ll be able to start picking up more/different audio sources and just dive in :tada:

Edit: btw alternative “spelling” is 土地勘 which imo makes way more sense at a glance.

4 Likes

Yeah thanks so much, I really appreciate the advice! I feel like talking to you did a lot to help me get actual confidence in listening.

And now that you point it out, I’m almost certain how you wrote it was how it was in the book. I was just being careless when I entered it. At least this allowed me to learn it has two readings now.

4 Likes

Cute penguins :penguin: :pleading_face: so cute

Home post :guitar: July 6th

・SKM N2: Did the exercises on page 47-55.

Today went a bit better than last time, but still had to replay some of the recordings to make sure I correctly answered the question being asked.

12 Likes

July 6th!

I watched 4 episodes of Season 2 of Fruits Basket today (with subs). I’m really enjoying it. I’ve loved Fruits Basket ever since I was a teenager, so even though I haven’t seen this series until now it feels really nostalgic :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

14 Likes

July 6 :blossom: Home Post

My brain feels more like reading today so I just watched one episode of ハイキュー!! I could feel my brain not easily grasping things it normally would’ve :joy: highs and lows in everything! It was part of the 上善寺(じょうぜんじ) match so that was fun anyway; also had a bit of a realization with the connection of their play style and the whole beach volleyball thing? Like most of 上善寺(じょうぜんじ)'s practices are just 2v2 games where everyone has to do everything which is really the same idea as the beach volleyball arc :flushed: no wonder I love 上善寺(じょうぜんじ) lmao. So yeah not the strongest listening day but that’s okay! Progress is progress regardless :muscle:

12 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 2

July 6

Nihongo con Teppei Z: episode 14 → 20 min.

9 Likes

Listened to two more chapters of 殺人ライセンス. It’s developing very, very slowly.
Spoilers for any that want them:

Kyuu told Mari’s dad about the game who told Maruta (detective who was a classmate in highschool). There was a lot of discussion about various other things, but nothing really plot relevant unless that whole occult bit means we’re gonna veer off into a supernatural explanation. Kinda doubt it though.

Also, someone posting in the read every day thread (not partaking in this challenge I believe so won’t tag them) reminded me of this 朗読 / read aloud of a short story from one of the 5分後に意外な結末: 【朗読】「隣に住む殺人鬼」【5分後に意外な結末 ベスト・セレクション】 - YouTube

It’s a fun story, and pretty approachable. Probably the most ‘unusual’ word in the whole story is the one in the title (殺人鬼 == killer (usually serial)) so a large vocab isn’t as necessary as it is for a lot of similar material. It’s not gorey or violent for anyone concerned about that.

11 Likes

Summary Post

July 6th
What did I listen to?: NHK nature video on whale sharks (thanks for linking, @omk3 !)
How much time did I spend listening?: 8.5 min

My mood has been all over the place today for whatever reason. I sort of wanted to skip listening because I got off work pretty late and I have to be at work super early tomorrow morning, but I decided I could watch this video because I thought the whale sharks might make my mood a little better (they kind of did, I love whale sharks <3 as people who have participated in past Read Every Day challenges may remember lol). I was able to catch some individual words (like ジンベイザメ :eyes:) but not much beyond that. I did manage to understand most of a couple sentences, though xD

12 Likes

July 7 :orange_square:

I watched this NipponPon video on Youkai:

It’s supposed to be a simple video but I didn’t manage to catch much other than scattered words for some reason. There were Japanese subtitles embedded, but I avoided looking at them. I may revisit all these videos later if they’re still available to see if I can understand more.

13 Likes

Jul 7, Thu of Week 2 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 七夕物語 :studio_microphone: which is of course about 七夕(たなばた) though it is from China.

^ The girl is おりひめ, btw. (And another YouTube on the website is in all Kana subs.)

I should read more about 七夕祭り.

I also watched those things spoken by Reimu , but didn’t really understand… Also, I don’t understand about 4 August 2022.

Also, I watched early on of Death Note EP.10, just to realize I don’t want to watch ahead of the reading club. (I have many other things in the watching list, anyway.)

Vocabularies

I love the above^ video (and meaningful too), omkさん; and the channel seems to be based in Taiwan? I feel that studying the subtitle/transcript in advance is an option too. – Downloading is indeed possible, but would author remove it? Otherwise, youtube-dl is quite surefire, for the time-being.

11 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220707 :loud_sound:

Day XVI: :japanese_ogre:

I listened to the video that @omk3 shared about yokai (you post the best videos!)

I tried watching but I just ended up reading the subtitles, so I put the video in a separate tab instead so I couldn’t look at the subtitles. Can’t say I understood all the much, the narration was pretty fast.

I think I could pick out most of the yokai names though!

11 Likes

Home post :guitar: July 7th

・Hiiki Biiki podcast episode 147. Topic: Morning Musume? Clocks?

Tuned out half of the time while doodling :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

12 Likes

I have been using Bite Size Japanese every day for about a month now. It has been fantastic!

16 Likes

I should describe this a bit more. This podcast is for beginners and people who are feeling bad about not understanding anything. Fret not. This podcast is about simple things in daily life using colloquial vocabulary. She speaks slowly, but not terribly slowly, and when she uses a more difficult word, she often defines it in English or Japanese. The subtitles have full kanji and it works great.

11 Likes

July 7th!

Today I watched 3 episodes of Fruits Basket Season 2 (with subs), and also listened to JapanesePod101’s Upper Beginner Season 1, Episode 3.
I know JapanesePod101 gets mixed reviews, but I really like how they repeat a dialogue twice at the start, then give an english translation of it. It lets me try to understand the first time, then listen again to try to catch any bits that I missed, and then confirms for me whether or not I understood it properly.

(Home Post)

Thanks for sharing that channel @Sailnir, it looks super useful!

14 Likes

Decided to give the 妖怪 video ya’ll were watching a try and oof! @omk3 @Zakarius I think the assessment of this as ‘easy’ is a bit off :sweat_smile: I got through ok (def missed some things) but went back to peek the JP subs to check my understanding. That’s quite extensive vocab, and it’s describing the origin of words in some places to boot!

I haven’t yet listened to any 殺人ライセンス today so no updates there, but I’ll probably listen to it some tonight. While I enjoy how easy it is I have been a bit disappointed at the slow plot development.

edit: I think this 妖怪 video is slightly more approachable, although still a pretty wide vocab. There are closed captions in JP if you want them: Japanese Yokai – 3. Oni, the Quintessential Yokai/【日本の妖怪】3.これぞ妖怪 鬼 - YouTube

14 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 2

July 7

Nihongo con Teppei Z: episodes 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 → 61 min.

Lately I’m finding podcasts chill to listen to at night when everything is quiet. I discovered Teppei also does live streaming and they’re all on YouTube, so that might be another near future resource to listen to.

13 Likes