薬屋のひとりごと Home Thread

Week 10

Previous Part: Week 9
Next Part: Week 11

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Names Page Count
Week 10 Apr 30th 「酒」「自他」 27

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m behind but still reading
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m an hyperkinetic durtle thing, I need to click on polls :durtle_yellow_rodent:

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
猫猫 まおまお Main character furigana
玉葉 ギョクヨウ One of the four (main) wives (title: 貴妃) furigana
梨花 リファ One of the four (main) wives (title: 賢妃) furigana
小蘭 シャオラン furigana
鈴麗 リンリ Daughter of 玉葉; nickname: 小鈴 (シャオリン) furigana
壬氏 ジンシ 天女を思わせる宦官 furigana
紅娘 ホンニャン head of the maids of 玉葉 furigana
芙蓉 フヨウ 中級妃 furigana
高順 ガオシュン aid of 壬氏 furigana
桜花 インファ maid of 玉葉 furigana
貴園 グイエン maid of 玉葉 furigana
愛藍 アイラン maid of 玉葉 furigana
里樹 リーシュ One of the four (main) wives (title: 徳妃) furigana
李白 リハク mid-ranking 武官 furigana
1 Like

Ch 25

その容貌から、人の股から生まれたというより、千年生きた桃の精と言われたほうが納得できる

He is now a peach in my head canon.

3 Likes

I got a good laugh out of that comparison. XD Also 猫猫’s reaction at the very end of 25:

猫猫は口をへの字に曲げた。

Only question that popped up for me was the mention of つまみ; was this a typo for うまみ?

大の甘党で、酒も甘口ならば、つまみも甘味しかとらない。

3 Likes

Shows as ‘snack (to have with a drink), side dish’ in my dictionary. Those are typically savory and salty as I know them, so it’s quite unusual and I think illustrates the degree of his 甘党 quite well.

4 Likes

Hahaha, I was thinking that he’s more like a tiny spirit like Navi from the Zelda games. Not sure how that would make sense with peach in the picture tho :see_no_evil:

Ch. 26

Yakedo no nyokan, is that a new character or someone we’ve seen before? (JP keyboard is not being cooperative right now, sumimasen).

1 Like

Spirits don’t have to be small, but anyway, Navi, but pink?

Someone who’s existence we guessed before.
I can’t check right now, but it was in the part about colored fires. There was a 宦官 who thought he was cursed in that part.

2 Likes

Ahh, okay. I reread that part and realized I totally misread the whole scene. Maybe I was reading with my eyes closed the first time :crazy_face: That person was the one whose clothes was disposed in the garbage fire, right? And they’ve been looking for her because she’s responsible of mysterious salty pieces of wood (for writing) or something like that :thinking: Can’t remember the details.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

I can hear the voice of my anatomy professor in the back of my head: “never ever tell yourself you can’t do something (or remember something in this case), the RAS system in your brain will believe you and in turn inhibit your performance”.

3 Likes
A few ch. 26 Qs

おまえの好奇心はどこまで広がるかわからない、どうせやるなら最後にしておけと、おやじから言われたのだ。
I need a little bit of help with the bolded part here, specifically that 最後にしておけ.

怒っているようでいてそうでないそうだが、なにを考えているのかわからない。
This is after 猫猫 tells her preferred method of execution to 壬氏. I’m getting tangled up in all the ようs and そうs and stuff here.

その後、風の樽に聞いたのは、死んだ娘が先日の毒殺騒ぎの場にたことだった。
Just wanted to check here what the heck a 風の樽 is.

2 Likes
Ch 26

Once she gets into something, she gets completely crazy and doesn’t stop. So, if she has to do it (using dead bodies), she should do it last (i.e. when there’s nothing else she is curious about in the world).

怒っているようでいて means to look like one is angry. ようでいて is equivalent to よう alone but allows a connection to something else.
the そう makes it that it seems to her that [previous part]
でないそう is just “or not” (again, from her perspective). So she can tell if he is looking angry or not.

My book says 風の噂 :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thank you so much as usual!

風の噂

:expressionless:
I’m just gonna go to bed. Have a good weekend everyone…

2 Likes

ドーナツ as furigana for 同心円 has got to be the weirdest furigana so far.

4 Likes

Weirder than マッドサイエンティスト?

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

I got some good laughs at the end of the 自他 chapter, specifically 猫猫 thinking about what poison she’d like to die from.

I will say one thing I find so interesting: the word 性質. The “correct” pronunciation is せいしつ. I often see it with the furigana たち, which presumably comes from 質 having the reading たち. Here it had the furigana さが, which was my first time seeing this as the given reading, but that’s apparently a way to read 性. I can’t help but wonder what authors have against just writing 性質 as せいしつ. :joy:

5 Likes