📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Summary post :bookmark:

April 15th :cherry_blossom:

・薬屋のひとりごと (26% → 28%)

Finished chapter 11. But I can’t remember anything from what I’ve read? :durtle_durtverted_lvl1: what in the actual

30 Likes

Just looking at the title, I think that’s the one where 猫猫 tells a few stories of somnambulism (including her guess that the 妃 was faking it) and we see the departure of said 妃.

also thank you for your message and support :green_heart: And sorry again for randomly venting. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I feel so tired learning all N1 grammar points is super hard. Just 30 pages of The Quintessential Quintuplets vol. 2 manga today. Seriously I think I need a vacation I’m running low on energy.

24 Likes

Day 14 and 15✨

Still hanging on by a thread! Read a couple pages of 透明カメレオン 2.2 and 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん Chapter 3 today and yesterday.

Hoping to set up a really good reading/study time tomorrow!

:cherry_blossom::house_with_garden: My Home Post :house_with_garden::cherry_blossom:

27 Likes

Day 15

なぜ?どうして?かがくのお話1年生: 58% → 60%

Read about why :hibiscus: flowers :cherry_blossom: smell nice.

New words added to SRS: さそうう - to invite

28 Likes

Day 13 :purple_heart:
Actually days 8 – 13. Oh god, almost a whole week. I’m so sorry I was not updating you guys, this week I wasn’t feeling well and was not really interacting anywhere and not just here. However, now a brief catch-up post.

I finally caught up with the それでも歩 book club schedule at the start of the week. You really do become more comfortable with the series the more you read it, the 4th volume and the first half of 5th totally flew by. When that was settled I actually managed to force myself to pick up the accursed 夜カフェ. Actually, it wasn’t bad I kinda liked it however, I believe I became too tolerant of the ambiguity, I wouldn’t call whatever that was reading – just scanning through and grasping only the little part I could decipher, it’s too bothersome to look up every fifth word the same way I do with manga. I believe I do the same thing with any book maybe it is the only way I can read books regardless of the material language. oh well

On the bright side, I’m having an absolute blast with 不可解なぼくのすべてを at the moment. I believe it’s a perfect match for my level, the kanji and vocab I recently learned here are really frequent and those which I do not yet know are few. And most importantly, there is no furigana so it forces you to really look into each character yet the read is light.

But there are moments like my brother in Christ there’s a reason why I read manga instead of books

tldr for those who are interested: skincare routine
The pros do not end here obviously, the premise hits the soft spot in my kokoro and the illustrations are really top-notch there were moments where I was quite literally awestruck. I’ve already finished the first volume and plan to read a lot more this weekend.

:pleading_face::point_right: :point_left:

30 Likes

April 15th!

I’m posting a little after midnight, but I actually did the reading hours ago :slight_smile:

I was off work today because of Easter so I was planning to do a lot of reading, but it didn’t end up working out that way!
I read Chapter 16 of Mitsuboshi Colors, which was fun.

(Home Post)

I remember the feeling of absolute horror I had when I encountered that panel :rofl:
I really enjoyed 不可解なぼくのすべてを, so I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it too!

29 Likes

April 15th :cherry_blossom: :cat2: :cherry_blossom: (Day 15)

Home post

Just a smol update today - I once again read a few NHK easy articles. Will get back to reading short stories from my book starting from tomorrow~

28 Likes

Summary Post

April 15
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Vocabulary
  • 射手 = しゃしゅ shooter, marksman, bowman.
  • 御殿 = ごてん palace, court. (JPdic → 身分の高い人の住んでいる屋敷。また,豪華な邸宅。)

Yet another mission today. The game’s pretty fun not gonna lie. Might take it as a “try to understand, don’t look up many things” type or resource at this point.

28 Likes

Summary Post

Day 15: April 15th
What did I read?: ふしぎ駄菓子屋銭天堂 Vol 2
How much did I read?: 11 pages
How long did it take me?: 37 min

Finished up this chapter - I felt like Beniko was surprisingly nice and understanding in this one lol. Maybe because Hibiki acknowledged that it wasn’t really fair for him to win the competition over someone who had actually learned to play the piano through hard work. Still, nice of her to bail him out with the magical past-erasing gum xD

I’m going to challenge myself to finish this book over the weekend. There are 2 chapters left, so 1 chapter per day. I think I should be able to do it :muscle:

Good words and a lol courtesy of Jisho
  • コンクール - competition; contest (from the French “concours,” apparently)
  • 幻想曲 (げんそうきょく) - fantasy; fantasia​ (music)
  • わらにもすがる思いで - hoping against hope; desperately hoping; as a last hope
  • 合鍵 (あいかぎ) - duplicate key​; pass key; master key; skeleton key
  • 変哲もない (へんてつもない) - ordinary; plain; commonplace; usual; normal​
  • ありとあらゆる - every conceivable; every single; every possible; all kinds of​
I was just trying to look up ありとあらゆる when suddenly

:exploding_head:

Led well into the next word I looked up, which was ちんぷんかんぷん - unintelligible language; incoherent language; talking nonsense; babble; gibberish; jargon; gobbledygook :joy:

29 Likes

I feel like every time someone mentions that book they say they thought it would be easier than it was :sweat_smile: I haven’t read it so can’t comment on why.

I don’t think I can say much without giving things away :sweat_smile: But I overall enjoyed the book and the very final mystery reveal mostly just caught me by surprise.

11 Likes

In my opinion, the issue is that the writing style is easy to grasp for a native kid, but absolutely not for an adult learner. Also, there’s a lot happening at the beginning; we go through a lot of places and meet a bunch of people, which means that there’s a lot of vocabulary thrown at you in quick succession.

@Magillou It does get easier later on. 頑張って!

11 Likes

April 15
So… tired…

Passover started at sundown and I had basically been cooking all week in preparation. Looking forward to sleeping in now that it’s the weekend.

Managed to read a level-two graded reader about Hokkaido. Very pretty place, I want to visit in the summer when it’s not covered in snow.

I was excited to recognize the Aや B、C、Dなど grammar pattern in the book. That was one of the things I was corrected on in my essay, so seeing it in real material will help it stick in my brain.

Progress on Tadoku graded readers
44 / 44 level-zeros
12 / 12 level-ones
1 /10 level-twos
x / 18 level-threes

おやすみ :sleeping:

29 Likes

Home

Super tired today from work. We were hella busy today. You’d think today was the holiday, not just the Friday before one.

I only read 1 page today of 2.43. It seems Ochi’s less miffed about Subaru not having taken their last practice match seriously and more just worried about him since he knows something must be wrong, which Subaru doesn’t really like. He doesn’t want anyone to worry about him.

I also ended up reading ch 1 of 先生もネット世代: The Net Generation Teacher by 那多ここね on her pixiv. Since I already don’t like reading digitally and there was zero furigana, I ended up only looking up unknown words if I could guess their readings (or at least if I could spell them out kanji by kanji). lol and I had only ended up on there because I’d wanted to see if there were a larger-resolution version of one of her クールドジ男子 illustrations that had made it onto tumblr, but the link went to a different post and a cursory skim didn’t turn it up. Instead I found this earlier work of hers. From the series description on pixiv:

高校教師である上田祐介(25)は、ある日SNSで過去の自分の黒歴史と遭遇してしまう。
学生時代にSNSが浸透しだしたネット世代である自分は、今を生きる生徒たちに何をしてあげられるのか─・・・

More, plus a couple caps:

asdfghjkl

And it’s especially hilarious because that photo of him from when he dressed as a girl once five years ago, which has catfished many a man… is currently being used by an unknown person on Twitter (well, ツイスタ) to catfish! That’s actually how it gets discovered by Ueda’s students, as he’d deleted his old account, and why he’s thinking about it now. That, and a student in another class has come in to the faculty room to turn in a reflection essay she’d had to write due to her going out to meet a stranger she’d met through social media.

He does make a very cute girl, though.

I’m curious as to where the story goes from here. We’ve got a young teacher who considers that crossdressing photo “黒歴史” and wants his students to be careful on social media, a boy who developed a crush on a girl in a photograph, not knowing it’s his teacher 5 years younger, and an attention-seeking girl (the essay girl) in love with a boy who doesn’t pay much mind to her (a friend of the catfished boy’s).

I’m likely gonna end up buying both volumes at some point and reading them then.

Some vocab of note:

四六時中 (しろくじちゅう) [adverbial noun] around the clock; day and night. It comes from 4 × 6 = 24.
男を釣る (おとこをつる) [expression, ラ五] to catfish. This one I learned through context from 先生もネット世代. Imiwa at least doesn’t have it, and I didn’t have the energy to try checking other dictionaries.
先般 (せんぱん) [adverbial noun] some time ago; the other day

27 Likes

Happy Passover!

7 Likes

April 15th (Calendar Post)

It’s a holiday today so I managed to get a lot of reading done for my various bookclubs, yey~

からかい上手の高木さん => 16 pages (19 minutes)
それでも歩は寄せてくる => 18 pages (17 minutes)
大海原と大海原 => 37 pages (34 minutes)
Happiness => 30 pages (18 minutes)
極主夫道 => 31 pages (34 minutes)
シメジ シミュレーション => 12 pages (46 minutes)
Flying Witch => 26 pages

Some nice manga panels from today:

nyaa~

手!

Wadanohara’s art style was really nice, I’m going to miss that now that the bookclub finished the last chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but that looks like a weird hand pose for saying hello…

やべ~

ナッ!

Sadly no, a カニ didn’t also randomly appear…

29 Likes

Just something I was curious about for all my people who read books here (sorry manga people)

Do you use primarily use a tool/reader that allows you to use yomichan while you read? (e.g. ttu, textractor) or no (e.g. paper books, kindle, etc)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If you answered no, is there another one click pop up dictionary you use while reading?

• Yes
  • No, I don’t use instantaneous lookups at all (e.g. physical books)

0 voters

5 Likes

In my case it’s not an external tool like yomichan, it’s already built into the ebook reader (it accesses the iPhone dictionaries). So it would be „no“ if you want to know whether I put in some extra effort to get this setup going, and „yes“ if you want to know whether I use digital lookups while reading (the latter is how I answered).

Edit: Hmm, I skipped over the „kindle“ in your example list, sorry! Changed my vote to „no“ then.

2 Likes

I was asking specifically for yomichan. Other things like kindle have dictionary lookups possible and I intentionally put that in the no section. I’ll add another one for general lookups.

1 Like

Ok gotcha! Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like